Forums Added for the Oppo R5, Oppo N3, and Xiaomi Redmi Note

Just yesterday, Oppo unveiled a pair of rather unique smartphones, the Oppo … more

How to Play Music From Android Wear – XDA TV

Yesterday, we showed you how to do some advanced things with your Moto 360 quite easily … more

Google Updates Play Games, Wallet, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Drive, Google+, and Camera

While we haven’t really had much in the way of … more

Google Execs Talk to Ars About Android 5.0 Lollipop

Android 5.0 Lollipop is right around the corner, and it’s expected to hit AOSP … more

[Q] Black update heating the phone and draining the battery

OP Noppes123

19th March 2014, 09:03 AM   |  #11  
Flag Melbourne, Australia
Thanks Meter: 1

20 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noppes123

I am beginning to suspect a design error in specific hardware models. There are too many people with battery drain issues to ignore. At the same time many people seem to have no problem.

Have you tried to revert back to an older firmware version? That could make a difference... I will try it when I find some spare time.

I agree, there is something not right.

No I haven't tried an older firmware version. Wouldn't that require flashing the phone? Although, my phone has been back to Nokia roughly 3-4 times now, and each time it comes back with a different firmware. I've had the system board replaced, lcd assembly replaced, battery replaced and something else I believe.

You'd think after all these repairs I'd have a phone that actually works correctly...
21st March 2014, 11:25 PM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 15

116 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano019S

I agree, there is something not right.

No I haven't tried an older firmware version. Wouldn't that require flashing the phone? Although, my phone has been back to Nokia roughly 3-4 times now, and each time it comes back with a different firmware. I've had the system board replaced, lcd assembly replaced, battery replaced and something else I believe.

You'd think after all these repairs I'd have a phone that actually works correctly...

So... after all this you are still having the same problem???
Must be 'user error' then.... An installed app is causing the drain most probably. I bet you have WhatsApp installed??

Rule number 1... DON'T USE WHATSAPP!!!! It will drain your battery in next to no time.....

My 920 has been perfect from Day 1. I have had none of the problems or battery drain that have been posted here or on other forums. As I said 'user error'....
22nd March 2014, 05:05 AM   |  #13  

20 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by geddeeee

So... after all this you are still having the same problem???
Must be 'user error' then.... An installed app is causing the drain most probably. I bet you have WhatsApp installed??

Rule number 1... DON'T USE WHATSAPP!!!! It will drain your battery in next to no time.....

My 920 has been perfect from Day 1. I have had none of the problems or battery drain that have been posted here or on other forums. As I said 'user error'....

No, it's not a user error - I have uninstalled all my apps and my battery is still crap. So I put my apps back on because you know, what's the point of having a smartphone if you haven't got any apps...

And no, I actually don't have WhatsApp installed...

By the way, too many users have reported these issues - so it can't just be 'user error'. Some people do get Lumia's that are perfect, others do not, that's just how it is.
22nd March 2014, 07:09 AM   |  #14  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

107 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano019S

No, it's not a user error - I have uninstalled all my apps and my battery is still crap. So I put my apps back on because you know, what's the point of having a smartphone if you haven't got any apps...

And no, I actually don't have WhatsApp installed...

By the way, too many users have reported these issues - so it can't just be 'user error'. Some people do get Lumia's that are perfect, others do not, that's just how it is.

Correct. One scenario I've tested is a hard reset and just the default setup (only added WiFi and mobile network). Also did full discharge/charge cycle. Battery drain was about 1% better with no apps and no (non-system) background tasks, but still a lot higher than acceptable.

And of course, until recently my 920 worked flawless with all the apps and background tasks active...
23rd March 2014, 03:59 PM   |  #15  
Thanks Meter: 6

76 posts
More
I find that I have more issue with heating when using the Qi charging plates as the phone can be warm when removed from the plate. After several successive uses the phone does not cool entirely and this is when I notice a much faster battery drain during moderate use (excluding gaming which is always warms up the phone and drains the battery). Charging the phone with the USB adapter on occasion seems to calm the phone down and it is cool after completely charging.

Hope this helps.
23rd March 2014, 04:16 PM   |  #16  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

107 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentry33

I find that I have more issue with heating when using the Qi charging plates as the phone can be warm when removed from the plate. After several successive uses the phone does not cool entirely and this is when I notice a much faster battery drain during moderate use (excluding gaming which is always warms up the phone and drains the battery). Charging the phone with the USB adapter on occasion seems to calm the phone down and it is cool after completely charging.

Hope this helps.

Yes, I too noticed thesubstantial heating when charging wirelessly. So I stopped using the charging pad altogether...
25th March 2014, 02:08 AM   |  #17  

20 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noppes123

Yes, I too noticed thesubstantial heating when charging wirelessly. So I stopped using the charging pad altogether...

I also stopped using the wireless charging stand as I noticed the phone was getting hot, and also I seem to be getting a somewhat slightly better battery life with a USB connection.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread