XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Black update heating the phone and draining the battery

Tip us?

Deano019S
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noppes123 View Post
I am beginning to suspect a design error in specific hardware models. There are too many people with battery drain issues to ignore. At the same time many people seem to have no problem.

Have you tried to revert back to an older firmware version? That could make a difference... I will try it when I find some spare time.
I agree, there is something not right.

No I haven't tried an older firmware version. Wouldn't that require flashing the phone? Although, my phone has been back to Nokia roughly 3-4 times now, and each time it comes back with a different firmware. I've had the system board replaced, lcd assembly replaced, battery replaced and something else I believe.

You'd think after all these repairs I'd have a phone that actually works correctly...

Nokia Lumia 920 - Stock Windows Phone 8.
Microsoft Surface RT 32GB - Windows 8.1 RT
Samsung Galaxy SII I9100 - KitKat.
Samsung Omnia i900 - WinMob 6.5

-------Other devices in the family-------
Apple iPhone 5 16GB - iOS7
Apple iPhone 4S 64GB - iOS7
Apple iPhone 3G 8GB - iOS 4.2
Dell Streak 7 - Android ICS B5
HTC HD7 - STOLEN

geddeeee
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano019S View Post
I agree, there is something not right.

No I haven't tried an older firmware version. Wouldn't that require flashing the phone? Although, my phone has been back to Nokia roughly 3-4 times now, and each time it comes back with a different firmware. I've had the system board replaced, lcd assembly replaced, battery replaced and something else I believe.

You'd think after all these repairs I'd have a phone that actually works correctly...
So... after all this you are still having the same problem???
Must be 'user error' then.... An installed app is causing the drain most probably. I bet you have WhatsApp installed??

Rule number 1... DON'T USE WHATSAPP!!!! It will drain your battery in next to no time.....

My 920 has been perfect from Day 1. I have had none of the problems or battery drain that have been posted here or on other forums. As I said 'user error'....

Deano019S
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by geddeeee View Post
So... after all this you are still having the same problem???
Must be 'user error' then.... An installed app is causing the drain most probably. I bet you have WhatsApp installed??

Rule number 1... DON'T USE WHATSAPP!!!! It will drain your battery in next to no time.....

My 920 has been perfect from Day 1. I have had none of the problems or battery drain that have been posted here or on other forums. As I said 'user error'....
No, it's not a user error - I have uninstalled all my apps and my battery is still crap. So I put my apps back on because you know, what's the point of having a smartphone if you haven't got any apps...

And no, I actually don't have WhatsApp installed...

By the way, too many users have reported these issues - so it can't just be 'user error'. Some people do get Lumia's that are perfect, others do not, that's just how it is.

HTC HD7 - STOLEN

Noppes123
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano019S View Post
No, it's not a user error - I have uninstalled all my apps and my battery is still crap. So I put my apps back on because you know, what's the point of having a smartphone if you haven't got any apps...

And no, I actually don't have WhatsApp installed...

By the way, too many users have reported these issues - so it can't just be 'user error'. Some people do get Lumia's that are perfect, others do not, that's just how it is.
Correct. One scenario I've tested is a hard reset and just the default setup (only added WiFi and mobile network). Also did full discharge/charge cycle. Battery drain was about 1% better with no apps and no (non-system) background tasks, but still a lot higher than acceptable.

And of course, until recently my 920 worked flawless with all the apps and background tasks active...

gentry33
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I find that I have more issue with heating when using the Qi charging plates as the phone can be warm when removed from the plate. After several successive uses the phone does not cool entirely and this is when I notice a much faster battery drain during moderate use (excluding gaming which is always warms up the phone and drains the battery). Charging the phone with the USB adapter on occasion seems to calm the phone down and it is cool after completely charging.

Hope this helps.

Noppes123
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentry33 View Post
I find that I have more issue with heating when using the Qi charging plates as the phone can be warm when removed from the plate. After several successive uses the phone does not cool entirely and this is when I notice a much faster battery drain during moderate use (excluding gaming which is always warms up the phone and drains the battery). Charging the phone with the USB adapter on occasion seems to calm the phone down and it is cool after completely charging.

Hope this helps.
Yes, I too noticed thesubstantial heating when charging wirelessly. So I stopped using the charging pad altogether...

Deano019S
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noppes123 View Post
Yes, I too noticed thesubstantial heating when charging wirelessly. So I stopped using the charging pad altogether...
I also stopped using the wireless charging stand as I noticed the phone was getting hot, and also I seem to be getting a somewhat slightly better battery life with a USB connection.

HTC HD7 - STOLEN