Document the Story of Your Social Life with 8tory

The different forms of social media are growing every day. It’s hard to imagine a day … more

Make Calling Your Loved Ones Easier and Cheaper this Diwali

Diwali, or Deepawali as some Indians call it, is the pride and joy of Indian … more

Big Android BBQ 5.0 Recap – XDA TV

This fifth annual Big Android BBQ has come and gone. The speakers have spoke, the sponsors have … more

Microsoft to Counter “OK Google” with Bing Torque

When Microsoft is making apps for Android, users should be aware that something … more

Just want a recovery for Kitkat Rom

OP ravi_buz

23rd March 2014, 12:14 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Hyderabad
Thanks Meter: 63

514 posts
More
Hi,

After updating my phone to Kitkat, i was trying to get a custom recovery and root. I have read few posts and i am confused. I see there are 2 options to keep the stock kernel, but to have a custom recovery. 1. Doom and second is Nut. I am unable to extract the boot file from Doom's kernel so cant flash it and for Nut's method i need a recovery.

So is there a way to get a custom recovery (stock kernel) and root for a unlocked z1 c6902 KK?
23rd March 2014, 02:41 PM   |  #2  
Forum Moderator
Flag Manchester
Thanks Meter: 4,176

9,689 posts
Donate to Me
More
Flash doom stock advanced kernel, there is no need to extract anything.

Download it and flash in fastboot.
The Following User Says Thank You to gregbradley For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd March 2014, 09:19 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Hyderabad

514 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley

Flash doom stock advanced kernel, there is no need to extract anything.

Download it and flash in fastboot.

Are you referring to this one?
23rd March 2014, 09:37 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 38

164 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi_buz

Hi,

After updating my phone to Kitkat, i was trying to get a custom recovery and root. I have read few posts and i am confused. I see there are 2 options to keep the stock kernel, but to have a custom recovery. 1. Doom and second is Nut. I am unable to extract the boot file from Doom's kernel so cant flash it and for Nut's method i need a recovery.

So is there a way to get a custom recovery (stock kernel) and root for a unlocked z1 c6902 KK?

Just download doomlords latest kernel and install using latest flashtool 9.15 I think. Flash in fastboot mode no need for typing and risking a chance of typing something wrong.

Sent from my C6903 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
23rd March 2014, 09:41 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Hyderabad

514 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealiableCandy4

Just download doomlords latest kernel and install using latest flashtool 9.15 I think. Flash in fastboot mode no need for typing and risking a chance of typing something wrong.

As per instrucion in that page, you need to flash his kernel via recovery (i dont have one yet). Or you need to extract the boot.img and flash which i want to do but cant do as i am unable to extract the file.

Edit- Just saw gregbradley's reply in doom's post. it worked.
Last edited by ravi_buz; 23rd March 2014 at 09:48 PM.
23rd March 2014, 10:41 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 4

10 posts
Quote:

Are you referring to this one?

Hi Ravi

Yes, the file you link is correct.

to install the img,

try this, it worked for me.

If you have flashtool (9.15) recommended. Place the img file inside the folder called Flashtool\x10flasher_lib.

In my case I renamed it to boot.img (not sure if it would work without renaming, didn't want to take that risk)

then, go into command prompt. Change to the folder mentioned above. example: cd "c:\Flashtool\x10flasher_lib"

turn off your phone and disconnect USB.

type the following and press enter.

fastboot flash boot boot.img

which will then say < waiting for device >

at this stage, hold the volume up, and connect the USB cable. This will boot your phone is fastboot mode and will allow fastboot to flash the boot image you indicate above.

when it says finished. you're done. Just disconnect the USB cable and boot your phone.

Hope this helps.
23rd March 2014, 11:09 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Hyderabad

514 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox013

Hi Ravi

Yes, the file you link is correct.

to install the img,

try this, it worked for me.

If you have flashtool (9.15) recommended. Place the img file inside the folder called Flashtool\x10flasher_lib.

In my case I renamed it to boot.img (not sure if it would work without renaming, didn't want to take that risk)

then, go into command prompt. Change to the folder mentioned above. example: cd "c:\Flashtool\x10flasher_lib"

turn off your phone and disconnect USB.

type the following and press enter.

fastboot flash boot boot.img

which will then say < waiting for device >

at this stage, hold the volume up, and connect the USB cable. This will boot your phone is fastboot mode and will allow fastboot to flash the boot image you indicate above.

when it says finished. you're done. Just disconnect the USB cable and boot your phone.

Hope this helps.

Yup, this file worked for me, instead of flash tool i used adb. I think the confusion is because the post by doom asks us to flash it using recovery or extract just the boot file. I think he needs to update the post as you just have to flash this via flashtool or adb.
24th March 2014, 09:55 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 38

164 posts
Quote:

As per instrucion in that page, you need to flash his kernel via recovery (i dont have one yet). Or you need to extract the boot.img and flash which i want to do but cant do as i am unable to extract the file.

Edit- Just saw gregbradley's reply in doom's post. it worked.

They are two ways of flashing a the kernal. the latest one can only be installed using flashtool or fastboot unless you replace the boot.img in the zip folder for "Advance Stock Kernel with Recovery v01 (FW:14.2.A.1.136) {RECOVERY FLASHABLE}".

Since you dont have a recovery i recommend you use flashtool(latest one) (fastboot might be a headache since install deals with driver if you habe windows and android sdk).
To do this you need to:

1.Open flashtool
2.Turn phone off then go to fastboot mode (connect usb while phone is off and holding volume up button BLUE LED should show once connected)
3. Click on lightning icon
4.Select "Fastboot mode"
5. click "select kernal to flash"
6. locate the .img image you downloaded (you might have to change the selection thing on the bottom from *.sin to *.img)
7. Click and it will auto install.
25th March 2014, 07:06 AM   |  #9  
Forum Moderator
Flag Manchester
Thanks Meter: 4,176

9,689 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Yup, this file worked for me, instead of flash tool i used adb. I think the confusion is because the post by doom asks us to flash it using recovery or extract just the boot file. I think he needs to update the post as you just have to flash this via flashtool or adb.

By adb do you mean using the fast boot command... Well that what he means by flashing worth fast boot....

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread