[REF] Why I bought my Xperia SP

Search This thread

pm2lp

Sep 17, 2010
Hi all. I didn't get my SP yet - I'll buy it in June-July - but I'm almost sure I'll get this phone, because my budget is ~250-300€ and now it costs 279, so it's perfectly in that price range.
What made me choose it is definitely the LED bar, coming from an Xperia U I'll miss it if I get another phone ;)
Another reason is the screen, because a 3.5" is too small for my hands, and seeing my sister's Galaxy S3 (4.7") I can reach all of the screen with one hand, so it's perfect
Plus, I love Sony's customizations.
The only phone that will make me change my mind about this purchase is the Z1 compact, if it drops to ~350€ I'll get that one, but it's very improbable :p
So, I think I'll be part of this community soon :thumbup:

Inviato dal mio Xperia U utilizzando Tapatalk

(This post is mainly focused on performance and cpu and gpu specs, if you don't know/care about that please ignore it)

Right now, and until the snapdragon 600 phones (s4, htc one, lg g pro...) prices drop significantly (which can take more than a year) the xperia sp is definitely the best or one of the best phones you can buy for ~250€ (yes, you can buy it right now online unlocked for that price in the UE)... and it's really simple why.

Sony's (and qualcomm in general) strategy for midranges this year is the snapdragon 400 which is inferior in all its variants to the S4Pro that the SP has. They opted for the adreno 305 gpu in every single model (the SP has a far superior 320), quadcores with cortex A7 and the same dualcore krait with clocks up to 1.7ghz, which are inferior or equal to the xperia's SP. [yes, even its "sucessors", the xperia G and M2 are worse than the SP itself, which is kind of ridiculous]

Plus, the Xperia SP optimization is really good, outperforming some quadcores with similar processing units, like the nexus 4.

So my advice is get one soon, before they sold out and you get stuck with the new crappy midrange phones that qualcomm wants you to buy. :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Bert98

Bert98

Jul 24, 2012
Padova
Moto G
Redmi K20 / Xiaomi Mi 9T
(This post is mainly focused on performance and cpu and gpu specs, if you don't know/care about that please ignore it)

Right now, and until the snapdragon 600 phones (s4, htc one, lg g pro...) prices drop significantly (which can take more than a year) the xperia sp is definitely the best or one of the best phones you can buy for ~250€ (yes, you can buy it right now online unlocked for that price in the UE)... and it's really simple why.

Sony's (and qualcomm in general) strategy for midranges this year is the snapdragon 400 which is inferior in all its variants to the S4Pro that the SP has. They opted for the adreno 305 gpu in every single model (the SP has a far superior 320), quadcores with cortex A7 and the same dualcore krait with clocks up to 1.7ghz, which are inferior or equal to the xperia's SP. [yes, even its "sucessors", the xperia G and M2 are worse than the SP itself, which is kind of ridiculous]

Plus, the Xperia SP optimization is really good, outperforming some quadcores with similar processing units, like the nexus 4.

So my advice is get one soon, before they sold out and you get stuck with the new crappy midrange phones that qualcomm wants you to buy. :cool:

Thanks a lot, I'll try to anticipate the purchase before it's off market :D thanks a lot, I had this impression too but i wasn't sure

Inviato dal mio Xperia U utilizzando Tapatalk

Gamer R

Jan 19, 2012
Here's a simple answer which may solve everybody's query:

Why settle down with cheap plastic, when you get a premium design precise crafted with a hardware that is twice as powerful as its competitors.....

Now, lets compare the hardware:
Krait 200 > Cortex A7
Single thread 1.7GHz > Single thread 1.5Ghz
Adreno 320 > Adreno 305
8GB Internal + 32GB Expandable is a complete winner

Reactions: jay-z-s and Bert98

wax911

Apr 4, 2011
Nexus 7
Motorola Atrix 4G
Hey yall, I'm also considering getting the SP but there seems to be something bothering me about what I've read in the thread about, using 4.3 (ram issue). So a few questions:

1. Does all 4.3 based roms have this problem e.g CM10.2
2. What is the biggest let down on this phone :confused:

Specs are a bonus for me, I'm more concerned about real world performance.
:laugh: Thank you in advance

le grande magnetto

Jan 21, 2012
Samsung Galaxy A71
Redmi Note 10 Pro

My previous phone for more than two years was SE Xperia Live with Walkman. I did enjoyed it for some time, it was compact ant ergonomic yet screen (3.2") shrunk among all 4+-inchers (time was not kind for battery also) so I needed new smart. I didn't needed BIG screen, high-end specs and I was not impressed with the idea of spending 400 euros on phone.

What other options did I have to choose?

• Lumia 920;
  • Nexus 4;
  • SGS 3;
  • SGS 4 mini;
  • SGS 2 plus;
  • and a bunch of others.
Fist two options are quite old and rare to get and do not support microSD; not to mention that WP OS lacks ability to record phone calls; and other are SameSongs :D
SP is reasonably priced, specs are more than needed, it has quite a battery and of course - sexy LED bar (and overall design of this device is amazing). A bit disappointed by the front camera, but selfies is not my kinda thing.

Last edited:

donk165

I bought my SP because it was the best phone I could see in this price range, I wanted a 4g ready phone with 1gb ram, at least 4 inch screen, decent GPU/CPU combo and good build quality. This phone met all those requirements and it had a few bonuses like the light bar which looks awesome and the 8MP camera which isn't as bad as people say for a mid ranger. My previous phones were ZTE Skate, Huawei Honor and LG Optimus L9, only the L9 got an official update which took forever! Was kinda hoping Sony were a bit better in the software aspect, but I have hopes that the new 192 update will sort this phone out! Stock 4.1 is fine for now

Sent from my C6906 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

@non4

Jun 11, 2012
Gothicus
Got mine because my optimus 4x was water damaged and the rotation sensor failed. I chose it because it has good gaming specs, decent battery life and some nice ROMs going for it. Wish it was 16gb internal though, gonna need 64gb sdcard soon!

Sent while my supervisor wasn't looking

dotzev

Dec 16, 2009
Hi, I'm wondering if i should get the Xperia SP, but my problem is that the screen is too big for me, and the front camera is only vga... Could someone please recommend a phone with the aprox. same specs and a smaller hd screen and a front camera that is better than vga?

Last edited:

chewlohseng

Jun 27, 2013
Singapore
I owned 3 smartphones before the Sony Xperia SP.
In order from earliest to latest, they are: Samsung Galaxy Mini, Nokia 603 and Samsung Galaxy W.
The latter two are still operating alongside Xperia SP now.

Back in January 2011, my Nokia 5610's display went dead, and repairing it doesn't make much sense. I've to get another phone, and since many are using the Galaxy Mini, I gave it a try. Because I'm using SingTel Prepaid back then, I'm limited to GPRS all the time (I don't have WiFi). Things are not as fast, but it's still serviceable. Over time, the phone's CPU and RAM couldn't catch up with my increasingly demand for daily task and lags very badly. It was only March 2011.

I knew it's too early for renewal so I waited until November 2011, when my mum's mobile contract is up, I asked to get the Nokia 603. Same story for Nokia 603, but it gets unbearable by April 2012 and I asked for a change in August 2012 for Samsung Galaxy W. I went for SingTel 3G Prepaid now, thinking it should improve the situation.

This situation didn't improve much. I've to root and install custom ROM on the Samsung Galaxy W to get away from the laggy TouchWiz UX by December 2012. Tried CM10 with Sony's skin on top, and the phone actually doesn't lag that much. Some stutters here and there, but it's still better than TouchWiz UX.

By February 2013, I know my next phone is going to be from Sony Mobile. I tested the Sony Xperia Z, and I liked it. However, the pricetag of S$988 is a little too high for me back then, especially when I upgraded my phones in less than 1 year gap. I waiting patiently until 4 May 2013, and saw the Sony Xperia SP with M1 Prepaid for only S$518 on the newspaper.

It launched in Singapore on 26 April 2013, at S$598. Since it's S$80 cheaper with the bundle, why bought buy it, since the video reviews said it is good. The Transparent Elements (Illumination belt) impresses me too.

So I bought it on 5 May 2013, porting my number to rival M1 in the process. I joined the Sony Xperia SP Facebook group a few days after, and see it grew from less than 50 members to over 10,000.
Thanks to M1, I'm connected to the 4G LTE network when I activated data plans. Pairing the Snapdragon S4 Pro with LTE, the Xperia SP is operating smoothly* throughout this 11 month of cycle. Some hiccups, but not that big of a problem like the previous handsets...

FYI: I still love this phone even after 11 months of usage. The QMR update that arrived brings me back to why I bought the phone: Transparent Elements.

* Many are heading back to Android 4.1.2 because they find Android 4.3 laggy. I agree that it's laggy first, but when I turned on Developer Options and set the 3 animation scales to 0.5x, it's very smooth.

Dominic.B

Jan 5, 2014
Navi Mumbai
Flawless Gaming!

Being a hardcore gamer I needed a phone which would be small enough to hold yet big enough to see everything clearly.

This beast has a high performance GPU - Adreno 320

I mostly play HD games like Nova 3, Asphalt 8 (High Settings), Ravensword Shadowlands etc.

And my SP lets me play 'em all without any efforts or lags :victory:

chewlohseng

Jun 27, 2013
Singapore
Hey yall, I'm also considering getting the SP but there seems to be something bothering me about what I've read in the thread about, using 4.3 (ram issue). So a few questions:

1. Does all 4.3 based roms have this problem e.g CM10.2
2. What is the biggest let down on this phone :confused:

Specs are a bonus for me, I'm more concerned about real world performance.
:laugh: Thank you in advance

Stock 12.1.A.1.201 fixes a lot of problems. Users are still complaining it lags because they didn't follow my method to make the device faster.
Enable Developer Options (Settings -> About phone -> Tap Build Number 7 times), set the 3 animation scales to 0.5x each. Speed boost and RAM seems to free up even more after a restart. Try it and you'll see the difference. ;)

Hi, I'm wondering if i should get the Xperia SP, but my problem is that the screen is too big for me, and the front camera is only vga... Could someone please recommend a phone with the aprox. same specs and a smaller hd screen and a front camera that is better than vga?

Same specs would only be Moto X (bigger screen though). Moto G would be a good option if you no need the powerful Adreno 320 GPU.

Reactions: wax911

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    sony-logo-600x325.jpg

At the moment I see a lot of threads being created with the milliondollar question: Should I buy the Xperia SP?
    In this thread/Q&A I will help you choose between this device and another. I will tell my story and why I choose this phone instead of another one. Please share your story aswel so that we prevent a zillion threads with the same question.

My Story:

When I joined XDA-Developers a year ago I had the Samsung Galaxy S Plus. This phone was my first contact with Android, the Development and it's features. The Samsung Galaxy S Plus is a nice phone to have but after 2 years I was able to choose another phone.
    My wishes were pretty normal:
    • Notification LED
    • At least 1GB of RAM
    • 8GB internal Storage
    • LED Flash for photos
    Also looking at my budget I could not affort a Galaxy S4 or Sony Xperia Z/ZL/Z1. I had to look a bit futher.
    On a Dutch Techsite I came across a Thread for the Sony Xperia SP. The device was just released and reading through all of the comments I was interested. I simply Googled the Xperia SP and went to GSM arena (see links below) to check it's Specs. They were good and for my standards perfect for the next 2 years.
    Altho this was the first phone I even considerd to get I still had to check other options. I was looking at the website of Vodafone NL and found that for my budget I could choose between the following phones:
    • Samsung Galaxy S4 mini
    • Galaxy S3
    • Galaxy S2 Plus
    • Sony Xperia L
    • Sony Xperia SP

Both Samsungs dropped pretty quick; the S3 because it has been released in 2012, has some older hardware and was not "premium" enough for me.
    The S4 mini dropped because of the fact it has no notification LED.. And that was one of my wishes.

The Sony Xperia L was a good choice but for some reason it did not suit me. The overall feeling was not "perfect" for me and I had to look futher also 4G(LTE) was missing. The SP was the phone I fell in love with since is first saw it (love at first sight :p ) and the phone does come with my contract. And thus: on a lazy sunday I went to the Gym and afterwarts I went to the phoneshop and I got myself the Sony Xperia SP the main reason for this phone:
    • not a Samsung; it was time to look to another brand
    • awesome notifaction LED-Bar
    • 4G/NFC and Flash
    • The specifications suits me perfect

FAQ​

Q: Why not go for an HTC device?
    A: I never liked sense.

Q: What pulled you over?
    A: The LED-Bar. After I saw a video on Youtube I thought: THIS IS MY PHONE :)

Q: How is Sony UI over Touchwiz?
    A: Better, cleaner and nicer. Touchwiz is a heavy skin over Android and this is also one of the reasons I wanted Sony. Sony UI is pretty Close to Plain Android.

LINKS​

My thought process for this phone was like this:

720p screen? Ok.
    1.7 GHz S4 Pro dual core? Niiiice.
    Adreno 320? Wow!
    4G LTE? Holy crap!
    MicroSD, aluminum frame and planned KitKat? I'M SOLD.

All that for <US$300 without contract? = HOLY****IMUSTGETONENOW
    Here's a simple answer which may solve everybody's query:

Why settle down with cheap plastic, when you get a premium design precise crafted with a hardware that is twice as powerful as its competitors.....

Now, lets compare the hardware:
    Krait 200 > Cortex A7
    Single thread 1.7GHz > Single thread 1.5Ghz
    Adreno 320 > Adreno 305
    8GB Internal + 32GB Expandable is a complete winner
    Xperia SP

Yea Good Post, But don't get me wrong the phone is nice in design and all that, but there is some faults to it, 1) is the WiFi? Its got a very poor reception range, The signal cuts off even though I'm sitting next to the router, 2) Constant lag on everything i do like downloading games on the play store while trying to do other things like swiping through the launcher to look at other apps/ even web browsing and texting. 3) The memory is poor if your into games like Dungeon hunter, gta vice city etc ranging from 1gb in size then this phone will fill up very quickly and there's no way of moving apps to sd unless you've got root privileges, (phone only has 5gb memory I believe) maybe less... 4) there's no stock browser either so whatever browser you use will have problems, I've tried loads of third party browser apps and i have constant lag on every single one, I've also got the xperia play and i find multitasking on that phone alot more smoother than the xperia sp. This is my experiences with this phone so don't start calling me a troll etc

1) yes it is true that Wifi range is not very good but there are solutions available which improve it with a Rooted rom.

2) Constant Lag? what kind of Bull is this? even on the Stock rom it doesn't have constant Lag. In any case a debloated and tweaked rom runs better.

as for Browser issues, Chrome is crap. Stock Jellybean Webkit browser or Lightning Browser runs Super smooth.

No issues texting.

3) Internal Memory Issues can be easily sorted with a Rooted rom and init.d script or an app like Folder Mount, which moves all those Huge game files and folders to External SD.

4) Tweaking Minfree values improves Multitasking significantly.

as for the stock Browser ...

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=45758981&postcount=2

No idea how someone can come to XDA forums with no desire to Root their Phone, :silly:

regards
    So, how did I end up with XSP?

My first Android phone was Samsung Galaxy Ace. Then, I traded it with a Samsung Galaxy W. It was a good phone, but there are annoying shortcomings that made me decide that for the next phone:

* Dual Core is a must
    * As is 1 GB RAM
    * I need MicroSD
    * And also a very good GPU
    * Must be root-able
    * No more than 400 USD

From GSMArena, I managed to narrow the field down to 7-8 phones, and after doing additional research, found that of those phones, only 3 are actually sold in my country.

So, I began consuming reviews of them voraciously, and ALL reviews I've read about the XSP, ALL praises the XSP. A review even went as far as saying that the XSP is a midrange phone that punches well above its class, so much so that the reviewer kept having to remind himself that he must measure the phone using midrange yardsticks, instead of high-end judgment.

That clinches the deal. And I'm very, *very* satisfied with this phone.

Sent from Sony Xperia SP C5302 (stock, rooted, locked BL)