OP JohninLex

21st March 2014, 04:59 PM   |  #11  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Deltona
Thanks Meter: 882

1,983 posts
Donate to Me
More
Grrrrr I guess my freaken Thanks Button is on vacation for using it too much. lol
The Following User Says Thank You to TecknoFreak For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd March 2014, 08:11 AM   |  #12  
OP Junior Member
Flag Lexington
Thanks Meter: 5

22 posts
Donate to Me
More
I am trying a fresh install of Ubuntu, SDK, adb, and fastboot to see if something just went wrong. Will let everyone know the out come.

I know this does not solve the problem.

Thanks,

John
22nd March 2014, 03:32 PM   |  #13  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Hot Springs
Thanks Meter: 2,864

2,850 posts
More
You probably don't need a reinstall, but it never hurts. FYI, you don't have to use Ubuntu. Debian Wheezy (stable) is a good distro to use and is something I prefer over an Ubuntu stable release. If you have a year or so Linux experience, Debian Jessie (testing) is really, really worth considering* -- With Testing there's a really slight chance of a break with big updates, but as long as you play it safe it's just fine (I ran it for a year and a half before getting a break; which was fixed in 5 mins and a google search). There's also Debian Sid (unstable), but that's more for hard core users and I'd recommend using Siduction (a distro based on Debian Sid) versus Pure Sid.

If you didn't know, Ubuntu is based on bug fixed snapshots of Debian Sid with Ubuntu's patches, apps, & support.

*The reason Jessie/Testing is worth considering over all the others is you NEVER have to upgrade your system to a new version (eg. Ubuntu 12.10 to 13.04 every 6 months), it'll never be EOL (end of life), and it's the best combo of up-to-date and stable that you'll get with Pure Debian. Whenever Debian 7 Wheezy becomes EOL'd in a year or two, it'll become whatever Jessie is (and Debian 8 will be Jessie), and the testing repos will change to whatever the next Debian (9) will be -- that repo changeover IS where any crappy breaks are more than likely to happen, but that shouldn't be for a while.

I suggest having a bit of Linux experience for Testing because it would really suck (and does ) for X (the GUI) to go out and have to fix the system from just the terminal with minimal/no Linux knowledge (been there, done that, and learned some stuff; not for the feint of heart).

Because this'll really help if you or anyone else who wants to go this way, here's the links for Testings weekly builds -- http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/amd64/
Last edited by skeevydude; 22nd March 2014 at 03:37 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to skeevydude For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd March 2014, 04:50 PM   |  #14  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Deltona
Thanks Meter: 882

1,983 posts
Donate to Me
More
One reason i really like this about, is that i finally see active our device house developer and my developing boss mr skeevy. Wooohooooo
Is so good to see you around more
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TecknoFreak For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd March 2014, 11:07 PM   |  #15  
OP Junior Member
Flag Lexington

22 posts
Donate to Me
More
Same error on fresh install. I am going to try a 64bit install next. I have been using a 32bit because of CM stating that they only build on it. but from what I have been reading most error of 126 are from windows that are 32bit.

Will keep everyone up to date.

Thanks,

John
23rd March 2014, 11:47 PM   |  #16  
Recognized Developer
Flag Prague
Thanks Meter: 3,424

1,434 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninLex

Same error on fresh install. I am going to try a 64bit install next. I have been using a 32bit because of CM stating that they only build on it. but from what I have been reading most error of 126 are from windows that are 32bit.

Thanks,

John

You must have misread the CM wiki instructions. You certainly need 64bit system, CM11 won't build on 32bit Linux.
The fact that some 32bit host binaries are used when building on 64bit system does not change anything about the fact that you need to be on 64bit system when building any recent CM (or AOSP).

From http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Build_for_moto_msm8960 :
Quote:

...then install a Linux distribution such as Ubuntu. Any recent 64-bit version should work great, but the latest is recommended.

Quote:

You want to use a 64-bit version of Linux.

Last edited by kabaldan; 24th March 2014 at 12:50 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to kabaldan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th March 2014, 08:54 PM   |  #17  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Hot Springs

2,850 posts
More
Quote:

Thanks,

John

http://source.android.com/source/initializing.html

Those are Google's instructions for setting up Ubuntu 10.04 to 12.04, most all the other guides around are just that modified for different Ubuntu\Debian\Linux versions. Gingerbread (CM7) and up require a 64-bit system....though I've read about ways around that, but I wouldn't bother reading too much into that if you have a 64-bit CPU.
The Following User Says Thank You to skeevydude For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th March 2014, 10:32 AM   |  #18  
OP Junior Member
Flag Lexington

22 posts
Donate to Me
More
Problem solved!!! by switching to 64bit. That what I get for reading so many different guides before starting. Now on to how to fix a bad build that I did not get to finish before having to leave on another trip for work.

Thanks for the support you all have given!!!

Thanks,

John
25th March 2014, 03:54 PM   |  #19  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Hot Springs

2,850 posts
More
Quote:

Problem solved!!! by switching to 64bit. That what I get for reading so many different guides before starting. Now on to how to fix a bad build that I did not get to finish before having to leave on another trip for work.

Thanks for the support you all have given!!!

Thanks,

John

Good deal.

Fixing a bad build....depends on why it was bad. For example, 3 days ago I did a repo sync, started a build, it failed. Problem was CM updated some stuff, but PAC hadn't pulled in those updates into their forks yet. Once PAC updated those, the build finished and it's what I'm running now (don't ask, horrible battery life). Similar build errors are also possible if patches are pushed to, we'll say frameworks/base, but the corresponding patches to packages/apps/Settings aren't up yet \ still in gerrit -- when that happens, ya gotta either manually pick from gerrit or wait. After those, errors are either related to using a non-standard build environment or bugs in the code throwing errors -- even if you're not a programmer, sometimes the right search can find those fixes in oddball forks, from other rom teams, etc.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread