Keyboard dock acting up

Search This thread

hitmancho

Jun 18, 2011
Hey, this morning I had the weirdest problem with my dock, despite rarely getting any disconnects as bad as other people have.

I am running the latest firmware from December on the tablet and the dock, but I suddenly got a message from ASUS Update Service that a MobileDock firmware update is available. I decided to go ahead and click OK but it simply did nothing. It gave me an error after some loading time and the dock kept on working but the message doesn't disappear.

Also, despite charging my dock last night it is now at 6% on its indicator and it doesn't appear to be moving. Is it FUBAR? Should I just go to a service shop working with ASUS with my warranty? (I'm from Eastern Europe so no retailer shipping back, lol)

hitmancho

Jun 18, 2011
After a full discharge and charge of the dock the problem still persists. After plugging it in it went green light pretty fast but showed that it was only charged up to 70%. On the next day after barely any use, the dock showed 30% and after letting it discharge some more it still gets stuck at 6%. Also, it appears to be charging the tablet with less power.

I'm kinda ceratin that it is a software issue. Is it possible to somehow "reset" the dock's software? Reset the tablet? I really don't want to wipe it full, because I CBA to restore everything on it, but if I give it to the shop it will take a full month or 2 before they decide to give it back. Any idea on how I might go about "resetting" a dock?

Edit: Just to clarify, I stopped getting the update message from Asus to update the MobileDock firmware. I though that might be the culprit (attempted and failed "update") but the dock was at 6% even before attempting the update...

FINAL EDIT: I fixed it by doing a factory reset. God knows what went wrong with the battery sensor software. ASUS should seriously do something about their software.

Sent from my K00C using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

hitmancho

Jun 18, 2011
Sorry for the thread necro and the constant self-communication but the dock is doing the same thing again. No amount of coldbooting while docked is helping. Any help besides the good ol' wipe data? I can do it, of course, but it's getting kind of old. Isn't there a software fix to "reset" the dock's firmware or something?

sbdags

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
Sorry for the thread necro and the constant self-communication but the dock is doing the same thing again. No amount of coldbooting while docked is helping. Any help besides the good ol' wipe data? I can do it, of course, but it's getting kind of old. Isn't there a software fix to "reset" the dock's firmware or something?

I don't know what to suggest..... Maybe use the Asus backup program so it is not too hard to restore your app data. Sounds like it needs another factory reset but I have no idea why it is happening..... :confused:

zaelin

Feb 14, 2011

Same problem here; RMA'd it, they sent it back doing the EXACT SAME THING, won't even charge on the charger disconnected from the tablet; factory data reset won't fix it.

RMA'ing it again, this time at their expense for shipping; and it's being "investgated for unrepairable"

berndblb

Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA

My first kb did the same thing: Erratic charge, constant update notification failing and many disconnects. I think it is a lost cause. Send it in and hope for a replacement that is less buggy

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk

hitmancho

Jun 18, 2011
Welp, after a couple of resets in different circumstances I finally decided to reset the tablet while it was docked AND plugged into a power outlet.
It actually worked and didn't attempt to fail an update during bootup :D I don't know how long this will last, hope I helped others...

Reactions: berndblb

berndblb

Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for that! Did you do a factory reset or a simple reboot with the unit attached to power?
I did the latter and at least it seems to have fixed the erratic battery stats also don't get the upgrade notification that fails. Sometimes the simplest things have wonderous results...

zaelin

Feb 14, 2011
Thanks for that! Did you do a factory reset or a simple reboot with the unit attached to power?
I did the latter and at least it seems to have fixed the erratic battery stats also don't get the upgrade notification that fails. Sometimes the simplest things have wonderous results...

Glad that worked for you guys, it did not for me. I tried it four times, since I hadn't sent my dock back in yet for the second RMA. Mine won't even charge on just th ac adapter though, so definitely something else is amiss in my case.

JOTX10

Apr 15, 2012
Keyboard problems

Glad that worked for you guys, it did not for me. I tried it four times, since I hadn't sent my dock back in yet for the second RMA. Mine won't even charge on just th ac adapter though, so definitely something else is amiss in my case.

Hi there,

Same problem here as Hitmancho and Zaelin: Cannot charge the TF701 through the dock and dock appears to be draining the tablet. In the beginning it worked fine - after doing a full wipe and installing CROMi-X 6.1- but then suddenly it started this erratic behavior. However I think it is a hardware problem since I actually hear the keyboard clicking when the charger is on AND the tablet is in its slot. Next to that the keyboard gets exceptionally hot just next to the slot connector which connects the keyboard and the tablet.
Does any of you experience the same problem ? And - if possible - how did you fix it ?

hitmancho

Jun 18, 2011
Hi there,

Same problem here as Hitmancho and Zaelin: Cannot charge the TF701 through the dock and dock appears to be draining the tablet. In the beginning it worked fine - after doing a full wipe and installing CROMi-X 6.1- but then suddenly it started this erratic behavior. However I think it is a hardware problem since I actually hear the keyboard clicking when the charger is on AND the tablet is in its slot. Next to that the keyboard gets exceptionally hot just next to the slot connector which connects the keyboard and the tablet.
Does any of you experience the same problem ? And - if possible - how did you fix it ?

Does the tablet charge when the power is plugged into the docked tablet (i.e. power in the dock slot)? I didn't quite understand what you meant by not being able to charge the tablet through the dock.

My dock heats up when in use (or charging) as well, but on the bottom. It's mildly hot if that description works :laugh:
But if the clicking is loud when you've plugged both dock and tablet in the power then you might have a serious issue. I assume you aren't touching anything while it is clicking. If so, you should contact ASUS support. Clicking out of nowhere sounds scary...

JOTX10

Apr 15, 2012
Keyboard problems

Does the tablet charge when the power is plugged into the docked tablet (i.e. power in the dock slot)? I didn't quite understand what you meant by not being able to charge the tablet through the dock.

My dock heats up when in use (or charging) as well, but on the bottom. It's mildly hot if that description works :laugh:
But if the clicking is loud when you've plugged both dock and tablet in the power then you might have a serious issue. I assume you aren't touching anything while it is clicking. If so, you should contact ASUS support. Clicking out of nowhere sounds scary...

Hi Hitmancho,

No the tablet is not charged any longer when connected to the keyboard. And when I connect the charger to the keyboard nothing happens, i.e. the tablet is still normally drained (or at a slightly higher rate) and the keyboard stays at 6% even though it is fully charged. However if you are in a silent environment you can hear a distinctive clicking at the spot where the keyboard connector for the tablet is located.

And just before this problem occured last week the keyboard was exceptionally hot at that same spot.

I am not afraid though that I will be electocuted or that the keyboard will explode - I am an electrical engineer by training - but I took - of course - the precaution not to connect the charger to the keyboard anymore. I now charge the tablet directly which is a nuisance but has to be done every 2 hours or so.

What I think is the problem is that the charger circuit in the keyboard is faulty and generates a short circuit every second or so and that this is causing the heating and causing the tablet to think it is dealing with a wrong version of keyboard software and wants to update it.

Regards,

JOTX10 from the Netherlands

berndblb

Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Hi Hitmancho,

No the tablet is not charged any longer when connected to the keyboard. And when I connect the charger to the keyboard nothing happens, i.e. the tablet is still normally drained (or at a slightly higher rate) and the keyboard stays at 6% even though it is fully charged. However if you are in a silent environment you can hear a distinctive clicking at the spot where the keyboard connector for the tablet is located.

And just before this problem occured last week the keyboard was exceptionally hot at that same spot.

I am not afraid though that I will be electocuted or that the keyboard will explode - I am an electrical engineer by training - but I took - of course - the precaution not to connect the charger to the keyboard anymore. I now charge the tablet directly which is a nuisance but has to be done every 2 hours or so.

What I think is the problem is that the charger circuit in the keyboard is faulty and generates a short circuit every second or so and that this is causing the heating and causing the tablet to think it is dealing with a wrong version of keyboard software and wants to update it.

Regards,

If it is still under warranty, send it in. Asus fixed mine - well at leat the loose hinge and charging/firmware update problem. Still disconnects from the dock SD when moving the screen, but I can live with that...

Reactions: JOTX10

hitmancho

Jun 18, 2011
JOTX10, I meant to ask if the clicking is there WITHOUT any physical contact with the tablet :D
But yeah, I doubt it's going to be able to explode or anything drastic like that. As berndblb said - if you are under warranty give it back for repair/replacement. Sounds damaged to me.

Reactions: JOTX10

JOTX10

Apr 15, 2012
RMA-ed the keyboard

If it is still under warranty, send it in. Asus fixed mine - well at leat the loose hinge and charging/firmware update problem. Still disconnects from the dock SD when moving the screen, but I can live with that...

Hi Berndblb,

I RMA-ed the keyboard - I am still under warranty - and hopefully my assessment that it is just the keyboard is correct since I just RMA-ed the keyboard not the tablet since then I would be in big trouble without it. Did you send in the keyboard+tablet or just the keyboard as well ?

Regards,

JOTX10

berndblb

Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Hi Berndblb,

I RMA-ed the keyboard - I am still under warranty - and hopefully my assessment that it is just the keyboard is correct since I just RMA-ed the keyboard not the tablet since then I would be in big trouble without it. Did you send in the keyboard+tablet or just the keyboard as well ?

Regards,

JOTX10
Just the keyboard. Good luck!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Welp, after a couple of resets in different circumstances I finally decided to reset the tablet while it was docked AND plugged into a power outlet.
    It actually worked and didn't attempt to fail an update during bootup :D I don't know how long this will last, hope I helped others...

Hi Hitmancho,

Regards,

JOTX10, I meant to ask if the clicking is there WITHOUT any physical contact with the tablet :D
    But yeah, I doubt it's going to be able to explode or anything drastic like that. As berndblb said - if you are under warranty give it back for repair/replacement. Sounds damaged to me.