Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,852 Members 41,711 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Problem installing update

Tip us?

afmot
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default [Q] Problem installing update

Hi today i got the 4.4.2 update and i tried to install it and it failed
My current situation is:
Tempered
Relocked
S-ON
Completely stock (I was rooted, xposed, sense 5 toolkit, htc hand font) by flashing firmware.zip and relocking the bootloader and i created (data/preload/apps) and put every app that comes with the same directory in the OTA and flashing htc stock font back and i've done a factory rest to make sure everything is stock
every time i try to install the update i got ("/system/bin/app_process' has unexpected contents Installation aborted)

by the way my CID is HTC_044 and i'm on 707 region

Anybody have any idea to help please don't hesitate to share it

koniiiik
Old
Thanks Meter 117

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by afmot View Post
Hi today i got the 4.4.2 update and i tried to install it and it failed
My current situation is:
Tempered
Relocked
S-ON
Completely stock (I was rooted, xposed, sense 5 toolkit, htc hand font) by flashing firmware.zip and relocking the bootloader and i created (data/preload/apps) and put every app that comes with the same directory in the OTA and flashing htc stock font back and i've done a factory rest to make sure everything is stock
every time i try to install the update i got ("/system/bin/app_process' has unexpected contents Installation aborted)

by the way my CID is HTC_044 and i'm on 707 region

Anybody have any idea to help please don't hesitate to share it
Looks like you're not stock after all.

You say you were using Xposed. Xposed replaces /system/bin/app_process with a patched version. By flashing firmware.zip you did not revert your system to stock, only your firmware, that is recovery, kernel, radio, hboot and other firmware partitions, but *not* /system. Which means you still have the Xposed version of app_process on your phone, as well as any other additional mods you installed.

To get to stock, you'll need to restore a backup of the stock system without any mods installed. Neither relocking the bootloader nor S-ON/S-OFF have any effect, you can apply official OTAs with both S-OFF and unlocked bootloader just fine. You don't need factory reset either, the contents of /data don't matter to the OTA at all. What you do need is a stock /system and stock recovery. Of those two requirements, you only fulfilled the second.

If you do not have a clean backup of the stock system, you can either hope that someone else has one and is willing to share it, or you can change your CID to either HTC_622 or a super CID and use the stock ROM I posted over here
Now using:
HTC Butterfly S stock ROM for now

Retired:
HTC Desire RSK Satellite 8.0
MWg Atom Life CE OS 5.2.19971 Build 19971.1.2.6 PV T2M
The Following User Says Thank You to koniiiik For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

afmot
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default All done

Quote:
Originally Posted by koniiiik View Post
Looks like you're not stock after all.

You say you were using Xposed. Xposed replaces /system/bin/app_process with a patched version. By flashing firmware.zip you did not revert your system to stock, only your firmware, that is recovery, kernel, radio, hboot and other firmware partitions, but *not* /system. Which means you still have the Xposed version of app_process on your phone, as well as any other additional mods you installed.

To get to stock, you'll need to restore a backup of the stock system without any mods installed. Neither relocking the bootloader nor S-ON/S-OFF have any effect, you can apply official OTAs with both S-OFF and unlocked bootloader just fine. You don't need factory reset either, the contents of /data don't matter to the OTA at all. What you do need is a stock /system and stock recovery. Of those two requirements, you only fulfilled the second.

If you do not have a clean backup of the stock system, you can either hope that someone else has one and is willing to share it, or you can change your CID to either HTC_622 or a super CID and use the stock ROM I posted over here
Thank you it went well
I replaced the app_process with the one from your nandroid backup and the update process was successful
The Following User Says Thank You to afmot For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]