FORUMS

Index Project For XDA Device Subforums

Another ambitious project from the collaborative efforts of Recognized Contributors and Forum … more

The Atlas of XDA

A few weeks ago, we asked you “How Does Your Location Affect Your Life As A Power User?”. In the days that … more

New Snapdragons: Some Context & Contrast

It hasn’t been a good year for Qualcomm so far. Every device featuring the Snapdragon 810 … more

Google To Launch Next Gen Android One On July 14

The first gen of Android One devices to be launched in India in September 2014 were … more

[Q] Secure fail:kernel verizon help

1 posts
Thanks Meter: 0
 
By gbushy121, Junior Member on 24th March 2014, 03:23 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I have been trying to flash the Liquidsmooth rom to my phone. In the process I have been figuring out how to back up my data so I don't lose all my personal files if I mess up. When I tried to install clockworkmod recovery (through another third party app, in hindsight not the greatest idea,) when I try and boot into recovery mode, it gives me a message in the top right corner saying

"secure fail: kernel"

and underneath that in bold print says
"System software not authorized by Verizon Wireless has been found on your phone"

then proceeds to tell me to visit Verizon store to get help which I know they won't. I would like to figure out how to get this message to go away now that I thoroughly have researched Liquidsmooth and clockworkmod recovery and now know how they both work, the only thing keeping me back is this error message.

Also, if possible I would like to be able to keep my data safe on my phone while getting rid of this so I do not lose all of my contacts, app data, personal notes and things of that sort. That is the problem though, to flash the custom rom I would like to first backup all my data so I don't lose it.

thanks for your help
Last edited by gbushy121; 24th March 2014 at 03:29 AM.
 
 
24th March 2014, 06:07 AM |#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 38
 
More
I have not seen that message before.
You certain that your are on MDK and have loki up and running?

Sounds to me like you're on something later, and tried to replace kernel which has set the Knox flag.
I'd guess you need to look into safestrap after you Odin back to stock.
24th March 2014, 11:45 AM |#3  
Senior Member
Flag Decatur
Thanks Meter: 844
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbushy121

I have been trying to flash the Liquidsmooth rom to my phone. In the process I have been figuring out how to back up my data so I don't lose all my personal files if I mess up. When I tried to install clockworkmod recovery (through another third party app, in hindsight not the greatest idea,) when I try and boot into recovery mode, it gives me a message in the top right corner saying

"secure fail: kernel"

and underneath that in bold print says
"System software not authorized by Verizon Wireless has been found on your phone"

then proceeds to tell me to visit Verizon store to get help which I know they won't. I would like to figure out how to get this message to go away now that I thoroughly have researched Liquidsmooth and clockworkmod recovery and now know how they both work, the only thing keeping me back is this error message.

Also, if possible I would like to be able to keep my data safe on my phone while getting rid of this so I do not lose all of my contacts, app data, personal notes and things of that sort. That is the problem though, to flash the custom rom I would like to first backup all my data so I don't lose it.

thanks for your help

what is your basebuild?
24th March 2014, 01:22 PM |#4  
Mistertac's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Springfield, Ma
Thanks Meter: 2,681
 
More
Sounds like it's not mdk.
However people have been having problems lately with ROM manager installing custom recoveries. "Secure fail: kernel" does sound post mdk though.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
24th March 2014, 07:18 PM |#5  
k1mu's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Virginia
Thanks Meter: 1,597
 
Donate to Me
More
It may also be that the CWM isn't loki'd.
If you're sure that your phone has the MDK bootloader, try the all-in-one tool to install CWM.
25th March 2014, 01:46 AM |#6  
Surge1223's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Iowa
Thanks Meter: 5,588
 
Donate to Me
More
Yes as was said your cwm isnt lokied. You can remedy this by downloading goo manager and letting it install twrp (already loki'd and highly recommended)
25th March 2014, 03:59 PM |#7  
Senior Member
Flag Panama City, FL
Thanks Meter: 25
 
More
Unhappy
I am seeing the same thing and using a LOKI'd version of CWM 6.0.4.4. I tried installing the latest Omnirom this morning and ran into the same brick wall. I am on MDK - build & baseband.

I had tried to take the nightly update of 3/23 and got the same thing. This after having taken the previous updates successfully.

There's more going on here than meets the eye. I have run Triangle Away and reset the flash counter. Still no joy in Mudville!

Currently, I am back on the stock rom and rooted.
25th March 2014, 04:36 PM |#8  
Mistertac's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Springfield, Ma
Thanks Meter: 2,681
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeb carter

I am seeing the same thing and using a LOKI'd version of CWM 6.0.4.4. I tried installing the latest Omnirom this morning and ran into the same brick wall. I am on MDK - build & baseband.

I had tried to take the nightly update of 3/23 and got the same thing. This after having taken the previous updates successfully.

There's more going on here than meets the eye. I have run Triangle Away and reset the flash counter. Still no joy in Mudville!

Currently, I am back on the stock rom and rooted.

I read on the Omni thread that others had that same thing happen. So that's an Omni issue as far as I know. I think some people are having issues with ROM manager installing their recoveries as well. Those folks have gotten past that issue by Odin back mdk and then using Flashify to install a recovery.

If the recovery isn't Loki'd properly and or the ROM/kernel....Then the problems begin. I'm sure you know this though

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
25th March 2014, 05:32 PM |#9  
Senior Member
Flag Panama City, FL
Thanks Meter: 25
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertac

I read on the Omni thread that others had that same thing happen. So that's an Omni issue as far as I know. I think some people are having issues with ROM manager installing their recoveries as well. Those folks have gotten past that issue by Odin back mdk and then using Flashify to install a recovery.

If the recovery isn't Loki'd properly and or the ROM/kernel....Then the problems begin. I'm sure you know this though

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I'm gonna throw another piece of the puzzle out - as I said, I am back to stock, rooted. Not debloated (yet). Getting a security message "Detection information: The device has detected an application attempting unpermitted sactions. To protect your device, it is recommended you reboot". Reboot now or Reboot later comes up when you click on the message.

Baseband version: I545VRUAMDK, Kernel version: 3.4.0-423399 se.infra@SEP-124 #1 Tue Apr 9 23:53:54 KST 2013, Build number: JDQ39.I545VRUAMDK, SELinux status: Permissive, Hardware version: I545.06

Hope this helps!
25th March 2014, 05:46 PM |#10  
Mistertac's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Springfield, Ma
Thanks Meter: 2,681
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeb carter

I'm gonna throw another piece of the puzzle out - as I said, I am back to stock, rooted. Not debloated (yet). Getting a security message "Detection information: The device has detected an application attempting unpermitted sactions. To protect your device, it is recommended you reboot". Reboot now or Reboot later comes up when you click on the message.

Baseband version: I545VRUAMDK, Kernel version: 3.4.0-423399 se.infra@SEP-124 #1 Tue Apr 9 23:53:54 KST 2013, Build number: JDQ39.I545VRUAMDK, SELinux status: Permissive, Hardware version: I545.06

Hope this helps!

I believe if you freeze " SEAndroid" in TiBu those silly messages will go away. Its picking up an app you installed as a security risk. Even though it may very well not be. Worth a try.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 12:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 PM ----------


Also check to see that "verify apps" is unchecked under developer options. That should also do it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Mistertac; 25th March 2014 at 05:56 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes