Beowulf_pt
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tliebeck View Post
I've written an app which automates this process, thread is here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2684188
ROOT IS REQUIRED, OF COURSE.
This was a one-click fix for me, worked great on a N9005 running 4.4.2.
FX Filre Explorer, tTorrent and any other app can now write to the microSD. A lot faster than editing XML manually.

Direct link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=nextapp.sdfix
---
Samsung GS2 i9100 + Samsung NOTE II N7100
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beowulf_pt For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tkjeeper
Old
Thanks Meter 768
Thought I'd ask here. I haven't applied this fix, and I just checked my platform.xml file and it is as it is supposed to be after this fix. However on my note 3 running custom 4.4.2 rom, I can't have the camera save directly to sd card, also, with tibu, I had changed my backup folder location to external sd card, but had to switch it back to internal because I was constantly getting a "lack of storage space" fail even though the 32 gb sd has plenty of room. Just wondering if there's a Google size restriction also or what the issue could be? Thanks

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using xda app-developers app

TecknoFreak
Old
Thanks Meter 573

DONATE TO ME
I just wonder if this was pulled from my thread and no credits been gave.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2524277
Motorola Atrix HD(MB886)
Just Thank me if I Helped you. That will pay off my time if you do

tliebeck
Old
Thanks Meter 1412
Quote:
Originally Posted by TecknoFreak View Post
I just wonder if this was pulled from my thread and no credits been gave.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2524277
I don't know who you're asking this to, but if you're referring to the general idea of modifying the platform.xml configuration file to allow applications that declare the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission membership in the media_rw group, then I would recommend against attempting to claim ownership.

For example, here's a post from 2011 on the topic: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...96&postcount=7

Additionally, OEMs have been doing this for a very long time.

And finally, there are a lot of people here who simply understand what platform.xml actually does.

Personally, I've been working this issue in one form or another (allowing user access to external SD cards) since Jelly Bean MR2 (4.3) when Google removed the media_rw group access from WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE in the 4.2->4.3 upgrade of the Samsung S4 GPE.

I will say that I'm grateful to everyone who's working this problem and promoting the issue, and hope it helps push Google in the correct direction. And apologies if I'm misunderstanding and you're not attempting to claim discovery/ownership of this entire concept.
Tod Liebeck // NextApp
[ Google+ ] [ Twitter ] [ FX File Explorer: XDA Thread | Play Store ] [ WebSharing: XDA Thread | Play Store ] [ NextApp Keyboard: XDA Thread | Play Store ]

TecknoFreak
Old
Thanks Meter 573

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by tliebeck View Post
I don't know who you're asking this to, but if you're referring to the general idea of modifying the platform.xml configuration file to allow applications that declare the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission membership in the media_rw group, then I would recommend against attempting to claim ownership.

For example, here's a post from 2011 on the topic: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...96&postcount=7

Additionally, OEMs have been doing this for a very long time.

And finally, there are a lot of people here who simply understand what platform.xml actually does.

Personally, I've been working this issue in one form or another (allowing user access to external SD cards) since Jelly Bean MR2 (4.3) when Google removed the media_rw group access from WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE in the 4.2->4.3 upgrade of the Samsung S4 GPE.

I will say that I'm grateful to everyone who's working this problem and promoting the issue, and hope it helps push Google in the correct direction. And apologies if I'm misunderstanding and you're not attempting to claim discovery/ownership of this entire concept.
No not at all, no way I have the power to claim something not made up by me mate. I just thought that since Kitkat came out there wasnt a fix for any device until I submitted it to CM and since them most of the devices should be fixed. I just dont get how come devices still have this problem when it should be fixed for months now.

Thanks bro
Motorola Atrix HD(MB886)
Just Thank me if I Helped you. That will pay off my time if you do

alvespt
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I there do you think next updates will have this stupid sd card barrier fixed? It makes no sense having sd and not being able to use it

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk 2

jetbruceli
Old
Thanks Meter 405

DONATE TO ME
Hey guys just throwing my two cents here but I don't even use a micro SD anymore.
Found that the internal is just fine and I use a usb stick 64gb
With a otg dongle.
This makes it easy to transfer stuff between my pc and my phone and not worry about this problem anymore

dont forget the thanks button if I helped out!!

Tags
externalsdcard, fix sdcard, kitkat, sdcard