XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

C++ Programming?

Tip us?

MOSHONAS
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default C++ Programming?

Hi, simple question. I know there are code editors on the windows store, but how would I go about compiling and running basic (command line) c++ code on RT. I would rather carry my lenovo yoga around than my lenovo i7 chunky laptop to my university lectures.

Any possibilities?

Thanks, Zack.

SixSixSevenSeven
Old
Thanks Meter 304
You cannot on RT

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2475
Sad, but true. You could use Remote Desktop to your main machine and just use the tablet as a thin client. You can even use the cross-compiler for ARM and produce executables that will run on (jailbroken) RT systems, which could then be copied back down from Remote Desktop for local execution. However, to the best of my knowledge, there is no working C++ (or even C) compiler that will run on RT right now.

It *might* be possible to run MSVC through Mamaich's x86 compatibility layer, which (if configured to produce ARM binaries) would let you compile code (slowly) that would run natively on the tablet. I don't know if that's practical, though; the dynamic recompilation is probably up to it (at the machine level, compilation is surprisingly simple given how complex it is at the algorithm level) but MSVC probably requires libraries and/or system calls which aren't implemented yet. Normally I'd say that's a great thing to request focusing on, but the public build of the emulator hasn't been updated in many months...
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.

Scripts
Old
Thanks Meter 7

DONATE TO ME
Unless you did do the remote desktop or find another way to be able to do it. Otherwise I'd just write the code on your tablet and just wait to compile later on.
Web Developer, Gamer. Feel free to message me Application questions.

tanz2013
Old
Thanks Meter 0
You can try an online compiler such as ideone[dot]com or compileonline[dot]com.