Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,222 Members 45,332 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Games performance after 4.4 update?

Tip us?

manigma
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Info 2 [Q] Games performance after 4.4 update?

KitKat allows apps/games to use "immersive mode" to keep the navigation and status bars hidden while maintaining user interaction.

1. Did you notice this change after the update. Can you play games like Asphalt 8, Dungeon Hunter 4 in true Full Screen mode now (with status and nav bars hidden)?

2. Any performance drops in Games after the update?

3. What games do you play on your XZU?

hansip87
Old
Thanks Meter 1733

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by manigma View Post
KitKat allows apps/games to use "immersive mode" to keep the navigation and status bars hidden while maintaining user interaction.

1. Did you notice this change after the update. Can you play games like Asphalt 8, Dungeon Hunter 4 in true Full Screen mode now (with status and nav bars hidden)?

2. Any performance drops in Games after the update?

3. What games do you play on your XZU?
1. Yes Asphalt 8 runs on Full Screen Mode. Haven't tried others but they should update their apps to do that, not KitKat default behavior (it's just an option so devs need to activate the mode first)
2. Seems the same, some stutter here and there at Asphalt 8 race intro, but in the game it is smooth
3. Asphalt 8, Riptide 2 (not installed yet after KitKat update)
Love to Mod, Love to Experiment,
Sony Fanatic

My App Project:
Fast App Switcher Small App
System Monitor Small App

Phone History:
Nokia 6233 - Sony Ericsson K700i - SE Xperia X10 Mini Pro - SE Xperia Ray - Motorola RAZR Maxx - Xperia Z Ultra

The Following User Says Thank You to hansip87 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

manigma
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansip87 View Post
1. Yes Asphalt 8 runs on Full Screen Mode. Haven't tried others but they should update their apps to do that, not KitKat default behavior (it's just an option so devs need to activate the mode first)
2. Seems the same, some stutter here and there at Asphalt 8 race intro, but in the game it is smooth
3. Asphalt 8, Riptide 2 (not installed yet after KitKat update)
Thanks. Please post screenshot of Asphalt 8 playing on XZU 4.4. And what about other apps like Web Browser and Whatsapp etc? Are they running in full screen too with nav bar hidden? I guess several apps were updated recently to support this feature.

hansip87
Old
Thanks Meter 1733

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by manigma View Post
Thanks. Please post screenshot of Asphalt 8 playing on XZU 4.4. And what about other apps like Web Browser and Whatsapp etc? Are they running in full screen too with nav bar hidden? I guess several apps were updated recently to support this feature.
My phone is charging right now, maybe later. But it is guaranteed to run full screen. Web Browser and Whatsapp doesn't use Immersive Mode AFAIK. Only games or e-book reader that might implement that mode.
Love to Mod, Love to Experiment,
Sony Fanatic

My App Project:
Fast App Switcher Small App
System Monitor Small App

Phone History:
Nokia 6233 - Sony Ericsson K700i - SE Xperia X10 Mini Pro - SE Xperia Ray - Motorola RAZR Maxx - Xperia Z Ultra

manigma
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansip87 View Post
My phone is charging right now, maybe later. But it is guaranteed to run full screen. Web Browser and Whatsapp doesn't use Immersive Mode AFAIK. Only games or e-book reader that might implement that mode.
OK, no problem. If there is no performance drop then 4.4 update is MUST for avid gamers. I really disliked the nav bar while playing games. The full immersive mode feature alone is worth the update despite other minor bugs being reported by users.