Prepare Your Nokia X2 for Battle with Nokia X2 Tools

Unveiled in June this year, the Nokia X2 is the Finnish companys second crack at an … more

Increase the Speaker Volume of Your Samsung Gear 2 with Tool and Tutorial

I think its pretty safe to say that any sound coming out of a … more

Unlock Hidden Camera Settings on Your Moto G

At one point in time or another, weve all gotten very fiddly with the camera settings on our … more

XDA Partners with LG for Developer Challenge

Many Android enthusiasts know the name LG. LG is the maker of some Google Nexus devices and some … more

[Q] USB: Charge + Use OTG Simultaneously?

26th January 2014, 12:27 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 13

76 posts
Has anyone pulled off using getting USB OTG+Charge mode working on the SHIELD?

I tried to splice in the 5VDC line from the SHIELD charger to a regular OTG cable, and while the charging light on the back of the device lights up orange and the data port works (a connected mouse works fine), Android does not report the device is charging :S Sometimes some devices have needed a resistor across certain pins, but I'm not sure what to try out on the SHIELD yet.

Would be nice to enable this under the TV in console mode, would get GRID streaming, PC streaming over my wired network rather than wireless, as well as all my emulators etc.
29th January 2014, 08:59 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
I stumbled upon a similar issue but with nexus 7, and there laid the answer. The micro-controller that is capable of switching usb port to OTG mode and backwards in nexus 7 is capable of powering one device at a time. Battery or the one connected through OTG.

Theoretically in nexus 7 it's possible to modify kernel to power it's battery instead instead in OTG mode, and through some powered USB hub, provide power to the external device.
Or to re-solder pins, but its not worth imho.

We can assume that the issue with Shield is similiar.
But we won't be sure until s1 finds Shiled's USB OTG micro-controller tech specs.
Last edited by Gamperuss; 29th January 2014 at 09:06 AM.
10th February 2014, 01:13 AM   |  #3  
Flag Melbourne, Australia
Thanks Meter: 203

1,628 posts
More
Subscribing in the hopes that this will be possible in future
15th February 2014, 06:55 PM   |  #4  
Preston
Thanks Meter: 117

528 posts
More
I think If you had something similar to http://www.amazon.com/OEM-UTStarcom-...=usb+y+adapter you could use the charger to power both you usb device and the shield. It will just need to connect power to all 3 ends.
17th February 2014, 02:51 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyowner

I think If you had something similar to (...) you could use the charger to power both you usb device and the shield. It will just need to connect power to all 3 ends.

If i am not mistaken in how shield is built - not possible.
Last edited by Gamperuss; 17th February 2014 at 02:57 PM.
17th February 2014, 04:35 PM   |  #6  
Preston

528 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamperuss

If i am not mistaken in how shield is built - not possible.

Unless there are diodes on the usb connector on the shield that will prevent power going into the shield while in usb host mode, I do not see why it wont.
17th February 2014, 04:41 PM   |  #7  
OP Member

76 posts
I already tried something like this: putting 5V on the power pins when the shield was in OTG mode. Didn't work, the SHIELD didn't recognize the charge in software.
17th February 2014, 05:30 PM   |  #8  
Preston

528 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vostok4

I already tried something like this: putting 5V on the power pins when the shield was in OTG mode. Didn't work, the SHIELD didn't recognize the charge in software.

Another idea I have for this would not allow charging but it would slow down the rate of battery drain.
I doubt you would find this cable premade, but instead of applying power to the usb otg circuit it would only connect the 2 data wires to the shield, and the 2 power wires to the wall charger. That should allow your usb device to be powered by the wall charger and no the shield allowing the battery to last longer.

Yet another possibility is to add a diode in to circuit to only allow power to flow into the shield on the 5v+ line.
26th March 2014, 11:21 AM   |  #9  
OP Member

76 posts
Just an update, support for charging while in OTG is announced with the April update! http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/art...e-announcement

So no hacks needed
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vostok4 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th March 2014, 11:42 AM   |  #10  
Flag Melbourne, Australia
Thanks Meter: 203

1,628 posts
More
Damn,... all the good stuff happens after I've sold my Shield

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread