5,600,612 Members 32,911 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] USB: Charge + Use OTG Simultaneously?

Tip us?

vostok4
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Default [Q] USB: Charge + Use OTG Simultaneously?

Has anyone pulled off using getting USB OTG+Charge mode working on the SHIELD?

I tried to splice in the 5VDC line from the SHIELD charger to a regular OTG cable, and while the charging light on the back of the device lights up orange and the data port works (a connected mouse works fine), Android does not report the device is charging :S Sometimes some devices have needed a resistor across certain pins, but I'm not sure what to try out on the SHIELD yet.

Would be nice to enable this under the TV in console mode, would get GRID streaming, PC streaming over my wired network rather than wireless, as well as all my emulators etc.

Gamperuss
Old
(Last edited by Gamperuss; 29th January 2014 at 09:06 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
I stumbled upon a similar issue but with nexus 7, and there laid the answer. The micro-controller that is capable of switching usb port to OTG mode and backwards in nexus 7 is capable of powering one device at a time. Battery or the one connected through OTG.

Theoretically in nexus 7 it's possible to modify kernel to power it's battery instead instead in OTG mode, and through some powered USB hub, provide power to the external device.
Or to re-solder pins, but its not worth imho.

We can assume that the issue with Shield is similiar.
But we won't be sure until s1 finds Shiled's USB OTG micro-controller tech specs.

tangcla
Old
Thanks Meter 186
Subscribing in the hopes that this will be possible in future

chevyowner
Old
Thanks Meter 115
I think If you had something similar to http://www.amazon.com/OEM-UTStarcom-...=usb+y+adapter you could use the charger to power both you usb device and the shield. It will just need to connect power to all 3 ends.
Current Devices = NVIDIA Shield
Previous Devices = Galaxy S3 (Crushed) <- Galaxy Nexus (Sold) <- Xperia Play R800x (Lost) <- HTC Rezound (BRICKED) <- Motorola Droid
Previous Tablets = Nexus 7 (16GB T3)

Gamperuss
Old
(Last edited by Gamperuss; 17th February 2014 at 02:57 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyowner View Post
I think If you had something similar to (...) you could use the charger to power both you usb device and the shield. It will just need to connect power to all 3 ends.
If i am not mistaken in how shield is built - not possible.

chevyowner
Old
Thanks Meter 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamperuss View Post
If i am not mistaken in how shield is built - not possible.
Unless there are diodes on the usb connector on the shield that will prevent power going into the shield while in usb host mode, I do not see why it wont.
Previous Devices = Galaxy S3 (Crushed) <- Galaxy Nexus (Sold) <- Xperia Play R800x (Lost) <- HTC Rezound (BRICKED) <- Motorola Droid

vostok4
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
I already tried something like this: putting 5V on the power pins when the shield was in OTG mode. Didn't work, the SHIELD didn't recognize the charge in software.

chevyowner
Old
Thanks Meter 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by vostok4 View Post
I already tried something like this: putting 5V on the power pins when the shield was in OTG mode. Didn't work, the SHIELD didn't recognize the charge in software.
Another idea I have for this would not allow charging but it would slow down the rate of battery drain.
I doubt you would find this cable premade, but instead of applying power to the usb otg circuit it would only connect the 2 data wires to the shield, and the 2 power wires to the wall charger. That should allow your usb device to be powered by the wall charger and no the shield allowing the battery to last longer.

Yet another possibility is to add a diode in to circuit to only allow power to flow into the shield on the 5v+ line.

vostok4
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Just an update, support for charging while in OTG is announced with the April update! http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/art...e-announcement

So no hacks needed
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vostok4 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tangcla
Old
Thanks Meter 186
Damn,... all the good stuff happens after I've sold my Shield