XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[guide] s4 mini lte imei backup / restore

Tip us?

kamikaze702k
Old
Thanks Meter 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisbraz View Post
Just found it searching in google. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...smanager.S4&hl
It says that is not compatible with all of my devices!
Yea sometimes it will say not compatible as it's made for S4, and only available in few countries, I found it whilst doing a Google search for EFS backup and it came up, but when I opened it in play store it said "not available in your country" so I googled searched it and eventually found the apk file itself, but as long as it works it's all good, I don't know if it really does work example to actually restore the backup in full working order, but for the peace of mind at least we know we have some sort of backup and if ever the time comes to restore it, then we'll find out

Sent from my GT-I9195 CARBON ROM KK 4.4.2

silentscreamz
Old
Thanks Meter 1
[QUOTE=kamikaze702k;50738966]I've yet to try this guide, but I found an app in the play store "EFS MANAGER S4" which claims to backup and restore your EFS partition data, I've installed the app, one click 'make backup'

These are the files and file sizes created by the app itself

You think this will work of you already tripped your knox?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using xda premium

kamikaze702k
Old
Thanks Meter 125
It should be ok but I'm not 100% sure as I've not got Knox

Sent from my GT-I9195 CARBON ROM KK 4.4.2

narkoman88
Old
Thanks Meter 11
farewellartist
Thanks for guide!

silentscreamz
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by narkoman88 View Post
farewellartist
Thanks for guide!
Did the EFS set-up work for you?

silentscreamz
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by farewellartist View Post
Hello, everyone!

After painful research I'm think I have found the location of IMEI in I9195 and have some understanding of IMEI preservation mechanics. Here are some things that users / developers might need to know. If I am wrong, please correct me.

IMEI is stored in nvrebuild1 & nvrebuild2 (partition labels are modemst(1 & 2), blocks 11 & 12).
Backups of these partitions are stored in partition labeled fsg and backup and in case partition is empty/corrupted, phone automatically makes backup on boot/reboot/shutdown.
Everytime phone boots, it automatically runs nvrestore command, so whatever is stored in fsg/backup partitions is automatically restored on modemst1 & modemst2. So, if you want to make any changes to these partitions, it is mandatory to reboot phone through adb / terminal emulator (while having su) using "reboot nvbackup" command after you have made changes to partition data, to push whatever changes you have made to take effect.
Also, both modemst1 & modemst2 contain IMEI. In case one gets damaged, it is repaired by gathering data from another.

Mind you, this system is very effective, it's almost impossible to trash your phone, cause I doubt that any rom will touch backup & fsg partitions. Yet, somehow (thanks to experimenting) I've manged to trash 2 I9195

GUIDE

SIMPLEST WAY TO BACKUP YOUR IMEI IS RUN A COMMAND IN TERMINAL EMULATOR ADB - reboot nvbackup.
TO RESTORE - reboot nvrestore

BACKUP
Requirements:
  • Root access
  • Busybox

1.Download EFS Professional from thread in this forum.
2. Run EFS Professional and from main form select EFS Professional
3. Click Backup
4. In devices filter select All Partitions
5. Press Deselect all and manually select mmcblk0p11 & mmcblk0p12 (make sure the labels for these partitions are modemst1 & modemst2)
6. Click Backup.
7. Done

Backup will be created both on your phone and in EFSProBackup folder in your EFS Profesional folder. Now make sure you store copy of backup in place that never sees light and in some online source that doesn't occasionally decide to wipe it's data.

RESTORE - METHOD 1: EFS PROFESSIONAL.
Requirements:
  • Root access
  • Busybox
  • Terminal Emulator / ADB

1.Download EFS Professional
2. Run EFS Professional and from main form select EFS Professional
3. Click Restore
4. Select Backup
6. Click Restore
7. DO NOT MANUALLY RESTART YOUR PHONE! CHANGES WILL NOT APPLY.
8. In terminal emulator / adb type reboot nvbackup and hit enter.
9 Success!

THIS THREAD WILL BE UPDATED VERY SOON SINCE ITS NOT COMPLETE.
Hello,
How much of a risk is this method and will it work with a tripped knox (0x1l)? Oh yeah, thank you for the effort you have put in cause nobody has really done anything. I'm still new to all this but I'm learning. I wish I could fix my Pantech Marauder cause it is actually a decent phone I want to give to my daughter.