Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,865 Members 44,472 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

(Q) HD Voice

Tip us?

Jess813
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 124
Default (Q) HD Voice

I have an unlocked ATT G2 and am using it on T-Mobile, is there Stewart to get the HD Voice activated on this phone?

osmosizzz
Old
Thanks Meter 304
Besides flashing the t-mobile software, I'm not sure. I checked the build.prop from some ROMS and the line for HD voice is not on any so it may be built into the audio files somewhere else. Not sure if a t-mobile firmware will work on the att g2

Sent from my unknown using Tapatalk
Rocking the HTC ONE M7
The Following User Says Thank You to osmosizzz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Casey060492
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I don't think you'll be able to use HD Voice. From what I can tell it requires the 1700 mhz band, which hd voice works off of on tmobile and the AT&T version of the G2 is lacking that band.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

CommSoft8086
Old
(Last edited by CommSoft8086; 26th March 2014 at 06:48 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey060492 View Post
I don't think you'll be able to use HD Voice. From what I can tell it requires the 1700 mhz band, which hd voice works off of on tmobile and the AT&T version of the G2 is lacking that band.
That's not the case. T-Mobile's HD Voice (or AMR-WB) is simply another codec that's supported in the radio. Even though it's bitrate is fairly modest, T-Mobile only supports it when the user is on HSPA/HSPA+ -- regardless of its RF band used (ie: no EDGE/GPRS, despite that it would technically work).

Now -- whether something needs to be tweaked to get the radio to cough up the codec -- that I don't know. I do know that unbranded, non AWS (pre T-Mobile) iPhone 5's support HD Voice without any modification, so there isn't anything proprietary that T-Mobile needs to do to a handset to provide support.

Interestingly, a T-Mobile branded G2 will clearly display a yellow "HD-Voice" icon in the upper left corner of the display while in a call. To the OP -- have you called another known T-Mobile user that has an HD Voice handset, while you're both on the T-Mobile network and both on (at least) 3G?

also, don't use a Bluetooth headset while trying HD Voice out. You need an HFP 1.6 headset to get HD Voice via BT. While the handset will still negotiate AMR-WB properly, older BT headsets munge the bandwidth to the point that it sounds like a non-HD call.