(Q) HD Voice

OP Jess813

26th March 2014, 04:57 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 126

1,500 posts
More
I have an unlocked ATT G2 and am using it on T-Mobile, is there Stewart to get the HD Voice activated on this phone?
26th March 2014, 05:45 AM   |  #2  
Flag Blackmist Town
Thanks Meter: 350

1,265 posts
Besides flashing the t-mobile software, I'm not sure. I checked the build.prop from some ROMS and the line for HD voice is not on any so it may be built into the audio files somewhere else. Not sure if a t-mobile firmware will work on the att g2

Sent from my unknown using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to osmosizzz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th March 2014, 03:19 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 2

14 posts
I don't think you'll be able to use HD Voice. From what I can tell it requires the 1700 mhz band, which hd voice works off of on tmobile and the AT&T version of the G2 is lacking that band.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
26th March 2014, 06:34 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 1

8 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey060492

I don't think you'll be able to use HD Voice. From what I can tell it requires the 1700 mhz band, which hd voice works off of on tmobile and the AT&T version of the G2 is lacking that band.

That's not the case. T-Mobile's HD Voice (or AMR-WB) is simply another codec that's supported in the radio. Even though it's bitrate is fairly modest, T-Mobile only supports it when the user is on HSPA/HSPA+ -- regardless of its RF band used (ie: no EDGE/GPRS, despite that it would technically work).

Now -- whether something needs to be tweaked to get the radio to cough up the codec -- that I don't know. I do know that unbranded, non AWS (pre T-Mobile) iPhone 5's support HD Voice without any modification, so there isn't anything proprietary that T-Mobile needs to do to a handset to provide support.

Interestingly, a T-Mobile branded G2 will clearly display a yellow "HD-Voice" icon in the upper left corner of the display while in a call. To the OP -- have you called another known T-Mobile user that has an HD Voice handset, while you're both on the T-Mobile network and both on (at least) 3G?

also, don't use a Bluetooth headset while trying HD Voice out. You need an HFP 1.6 headset to get HD Voice via BT. While the handset will still negotiate AMR-WB properly, older BT headsets munge the bandwidth to the point that it sounds like a non-HD call.
Last edited by CommSoft8086; 26th March 2014 at 06:48 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread