[Q] Question about DooMLoRD´s kernel FW-136

OP papperlapapp

26th March 2014, 12:21 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2

76 posts
More
Hi there,

I managed to root my Xperia Z1 using firmware 14.2.A.1.136 with the help of DoomLoord´s stock kernel FW-136_v01.

Upon what code is this kernel based? Is this a stock Android 4.3 kernel or does it contain Sony code? Is it based on Sony kernel code? If the Sony kernel is open source, after all...

I ask, because the original Sony kernel has some security features that might get lost when using a stock kernel without Sony extensions.

So, does DoomLoord´s kernel include Sony code or is it a "naked" stock Android kernel?

Thanks for any hint!
26th March 2014, 07:07 AM   |  #2  
Flag Jakarta
Thanks Meter: 152

494 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by papperlapapp

Hi there,

I managed to root my Xperia Z1 using firmware 14.2.A.1.136 with the help of DoomLoord´s stock kernel FW-136_v01.

Upon what code is this kernel based? Is this a stock Android 4.3 kernel or does it contain Sony code? Is it based on Sony kernel code? If the Sony kernel is open source, after all...

I ask, because the original Sony kernel has some security features that might get lost when using a stock kernel without Sony extensions.

So, does DoomLoord´s kernel include Sony code or is it a "naked" stock Android kernel?

Thanks for any hint!

1. If you use 136, then use V7 for more features and more stable.
2. It is based on Sony Stock Kernel.
3. Flashing custom kernel need unlocked bootloader, which mean you'll lost your DRM key. This is Sony security which you meant, this is not kernel issue, it's just something you get from what you do (unlock bootloader = lost DRM key)

If I missed to answer your questions, let me know.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
26th March 2014, 09:46 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2

76 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegahanggara

1. If you use 136, then use V7 for more features and more stable.

I did not find a version v7 for the 136 firmware on his website.... Do you have a link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegahanggara

3. Flashing custom kernel need unlocked bootloader, which mean you'll lost your DRM key. This is Sony security which you meant, this is not kernel issue, it's just something you get from what you do (unlock bootloader = lost DRM key)

Well, on the Sony website I found a paper that says Sony added security enhancements to the Linux kernel, precisely some kind of runtime control mechanism that is not part of the standard Linux kernel. Thus, there is actually some kernel enhancement by Sony to their Linux kernel. This is why I asked, if DoomLoord uses the Sony kernel source these enhancements will be part of his kernel. If DoomLord does not use the Sony kernel source, these enhancements will not be part of his kernel.

Besides, does it require a kernel change to root a device?

Thank you!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread