Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,670 Members 45,109 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Do I have to remove Knox on 4.3 if I didn't install it?

Tip us?

fdecker
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Do I have to remove Knox on 4.3 if I didn't install it?

I see all this talk about having to remove Knox to root the S3 with 4.3, but I upgraded OTA and I don't believe it installed it. I see the link on my screen, but when I click on it, it explains what it is and I can click "install". So unless there is some secret partition, I don't need to worry about running the Knox removal script, do I?

serio22
Old
Thanks Meter 653
All Knox does is show a flag when you flash a custom recovery or root with certain methods, and you cannot reset it like the flash counter.. So you can still root it

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to serio22 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fdecker
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default It does a little more

Quote:
Originally Posted by serio22 View Post
All Knox does is show a flag when you flash a custom recovery or root with certain methods, and you cannot reset it like the flash counter.. So you can still root it

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
Well, it allows an entirely separate and isolated profile or partition for separating work or secure things from personal things if you set it up. I thought the "remove knox" script was required for rooting or setting up a custom recovery. But if only the shortcut to the installer is there, I guess I don't need to remove it. I checked my Odin screen and it doesn't show there.

serio22
Old
Thanks Meter 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdecker View Post
Well, it allows an entirely separate and isolated profile or partition for separating work or secure things from personal things if you set it up. I thought the "remove knox" script was required for rooting or setting up a custom recovery. But if only the shortcut to the installer is there, I guess I don't need to remove it. I checked my Odin screen and it doesn't show there.
Yes, but I meant regarding rooting

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk