Android 5.0 Lollipop in 3D–EVO 3D, That Is!

It is that time of the year once again. Flowers bloom (or snow falls, depending on which … more

Gaming Console with Lollipop? Ouya Gets an Android TV Port

Android is a very flexible platform, and it can be used on a large variety of … more

Android App Review: Manage Your Connections Automagically – XDA TV

Material Design is all the buzz in the Android world right now. … more

Official TWRP Recovery Lands on Micromax Canvas Magnus

With the recent release of Android One, Micromax and MediaTek released fully buildable … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Saferoot or Clockworkmod Recovery?

OP tjhooker4

26th March 2014, 12:19 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 6

29 posts
I'm on a new Galaxy S4. Model SCH-1545, baseband version VRUEMK2, on Verizon wireless. I have root access and I wanted to install this ROM, do I need to go through saferoot to do so or is my version able to use a custom recovery?

Also is there any downside to using saferoot? Will the OS run slower?

I know similar topics have been covered quite a bit here and I have read through many threads, so I apologize for rehashing a familiar topic - I just wanted specific advice if possible because I hard bricked my last phone when I thought I had it all figured out and I'd rather look like a dummy on here than brick another phone.

I greatly appreciate any help that anyone can offer.
Last edited by tjhooker4; 26th March 2014 at 12:50 AM.
26th March 2014, 12:53 AM   |  #2  
Flag Decatur
Thanks Meter: 828

2,437 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjhooker4

I'm on a new Galaxy S4. Model SCH-1545, baseband version VRUEMK2, on Verizon wireless. I have root access and I wanted to install this ROM, do I need to go through saferoot to do so or is my version able to use a custom recovery?

I know similar topics have been covered quite a bit here and I have read through many threads, so I apologize for rehashing a familiar topic - I just wanted specific advice if possible because I hard bricked my last phone when I thought I had it all figured out and I'd rather look like a dummy on here than brick another phone.

Please do some research...There is a sticky thread in general section you need to read asap

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
26th March 2014, 01:09 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

29 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by decaturbob

Please do some research...There is a sticky thread in general section you need to read asap

Thanks, I've been reading through all of them and realized that that particular rom is not even safestrap compatible.

From everything I've read, my version of the gs4 is currently restricted to safestrap for custom ROMS - is that correct?
26th March 2014, 02:21 AM   |  #4  
Flag Decatur

2,437 posts
Quote:

Thanks, I've been reading through all of them and realized that that particular rom is not even safestrap compatible.

From everything I've read, my version of the gs4 is currently restricted to safestrap for custom ROMS - is that correct?

Correct

26th March 2014, 08:50 PM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Virginia
Thanks Meter: 1,569

1,924 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

To answer the outstanding question: rooting your phone won't make it run slower.
26th March 2014, 09:50 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

29 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1mu

To answer the outstanding question: rooting your phone won't make it run slower.

Ah, that was a typo. I meant to ask if ROMs would run slower when using safestrap. Thank you for your response though.

And I think I'm good with stock 4.3 for now. I just wanted a bare bones, GPE style, KitKat ROM but that does not appear to be possible on my device currently so I'll probably just wait until something like that pops up.
26th March 2014, 10:30 PM   |  #7  
Flag Decatur

2,437 posts
Quote:

Ah, that was a typo. I meant to ask if ROMs would run slower when using safestrap. Thank you for your response though.

And I think I'm good with stock 4.3 for now. I just wanted a bare bones, GPE style, KitKat ROM but that does not appear to be possible on my device currently so I'll probably just wait until something like that pops up.

Safestrap gives you many options. ..hyperdrive is by far the most customizable rom out of the gate I have seen and one of the fastest..

26th March 2014, 11:18 PM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

29 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by decaturbob

Safestrap gives you many options. ..hyperdrive is by far the most customizable rom out of the gate I have seen and one of the fastest..

Thanks for the tip. I'm still trying to read up on all of the available ROMs to see if any jump out at me and Hyperdrive seems to be pretty cool, seems like a lot of people enjoy it and it has a good dev team too.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread