Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,865 Members 43,835 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Saferoot or Clockworkmod Recovery?

Tip us?
 
tjhooker4
Old
(Last edited by tjhooker4; 25th March 2014 at 11:50 PM.)
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 29
Join Date: Mar 2014
Default [Q] Saferoot or Clockworkmod Recovery?

I'm on a new Galaxy S4. Model SCH-1545, baseband version VRUEMK2, on Verizon wireless. I have root access and I wanted to install this ROM, do I need to go through saferoot to do so or is my version able to use a custom recovery?

Also is there any downside to using saferoot? Will the OS run slower?

I know similar topics have been covered quite a bit here and I have read through many threads, so I apologize for rehashing a familiar topic - I just wanted specific advice if possible because I hard bricked my last phone when I thought I had it all figured out and I'd rather look like a dummy on here than brick another phone.

I greatly appreciate any help that anyone can offer.
 
decaturbob
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 766
Posts: 2,245
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Decatur
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjhooker4 View Post
I'm on a new Galaxy S4. Model SCH-1545, baseband version VRUEMK2, on Verizon wireless. I have root access and I wanted to install this ROM, do I need to go through saferoot to do so or is my version able to use a custom recovery?

Also is there any downside to using saferoot? Will the OS run slower?

I know similar topics have been covered quite a bit here and I have read through many threads, so I apologize for rehashing a familiar topic - I just wanted specific advice if possible because I hard bricked my last phone when I thought I had it all figured out and I'd rather look like a dummy on here than brick another phone.

I greatly appreciate any help that anyone can offer.
Please do some research...There is a sticky thread in general section you need to read asap

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
S4 powered by hashcode 3.72 safestrap and Echo V26 kitkat
 
tjhooker4
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 29
Join Date: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by decaturbob View Post
Please do some research...There is a sticky thread in general section you need to read asap

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Thanks, I've been reading through all of them and realized that that particular rom is not even safestrap compatible.

From everything I've read, my version of the gs4 is currently restricted to safestrap for custom ROMS - is that correct?
 
decaturbob
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 766
Posts: 2,245
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Decatur
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjhooker4 View Post
Thanks, I've been reading through all of them and realized that that particular rom is not even safestrap compatible.

From everything I've read, my version of the gs4 is currently restricted to safestrap for custom ROMS - is that correct?
Correct

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
S4 powered by hashcode 3.72 safestrap and Echo V26 kitkat
 
k1mu
Old
#5  
k1mu's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1521
Posts: 1,893
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Virginia

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjhooker4 View Post
I'm on a new Galaxy S4. Model SCH-1545, baseband version VRUEMK2, on Verizon wireless. I have root access and I wanted to install this ROM, do I need to go through saferoot to do so or is my version able to use a custom recovery?

Also is there any downside to using saferoot? Will the OS run slower?

I know similar topics have been covered quite a bit here and I have read through many threads, so I apologize for rehashing a familiar topic - I just wanted specific advice if possible because I hard bricked my last phone when I thought I had it all figured out and I'd rather look like a dummy on here than brick another phone.

I greatly appreciate any help that anyone can offer.
To answer the outstanding question: rooting your phone won't make it run slower.
My Android devices:
vzw Samsung Galaxy S4 stock NC5 rooted
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, also stock but rooted.

VZ Droid Incredible 2 rooted but otherwise stock.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
 
tjhooker4
Old
#6  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 29
Join Date: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1mu View Post
To answer the outstanding question: rooting your phone won't make it run slower.
Ah, that was a typo. I meant to ask if ROMs would run slower when using safestrap. Thank you for your response though.

And I think I'm good with stock 4.3 for now. I just wanted a bare bones, GPE style, KitKat ROM but that does not appear to be possible on my device currently so I'll probably just wait until something like that pops up.
 
decaturbob
Old
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 766
Posts: 2,245
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Decatur
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjhooker4 View Post
Ah, that was a typo. I meant to ask if ROMs would run slower when using safestrap. Thank you for your response though.

And I think I'm good with stock 4.3 for now. I just wanted a bare bones, GPE style, KitKat ROM but that does not appear to be possible on my device currently so I'll probably just wait until something like that pops up.
Safestrap gives you many options. ..hyperdrive is by far the most customizable rom out of the gate I have seen and one of the fastest..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
S4 powered by hashcode 3.72 safestrap and Echo V26 kitkat
 
tjhooker4
Old
#8  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 29
Join Date: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by decaturbob View Post
Safestrap gives you many options. ..hyperdrive is by far the most customizable rom out of the gate I have seen and one of the fastest..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Thanks for the tip. I'm still trying to read up on all of the available ROMs to see if any jump out at me and Hyperdrive seems to be pretty cool, seems like a lot of people enjoy it and it has a good dev team too.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


TRENDING IN THEMER...