Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,865 Members 43,835 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Saferoot or Clockworkmod Recovery?

Tip us?

tjhooker4
Old
(Last edited by tjhooker4; 25th March 2014 at 11:50 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default [Q] Saferoot or Clockworkmod Recovery?

I'm on a new Galaxy S4. Model SCH-1545, baseband version VRUEMK2, on Verizon wireless. I have root access and I wanted to install this ROM, do I need to go through saferoot to do so or is my version able to use a custom recovery?

Also is there any downside to using saferoot? Will the OS run slower?

I know similar topics have been covered quite a bit here and I have read through many threads, so I apologize for rehashing a familiar topic - I just wanted specific advice if possible because I hard bricked my last phone when I thought I had it all figured out and I'd rather look like a dummy on here than brick another phone.

I greatly appreciate any help that anyone can offer.

decaturbob
Old
Thanks Meter 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjhooker4 View Post
I'm on a new Galaxy S4. Model SCH-1545, baseband version VRUEMK2, on Verizon wireless. I have root access and I wanted to install this ROM, do I need to go through saferoot to do so or is my version able to use a custom recovery?

I know similar topics have been covered quite a bit here and I have read through many threads, so I apologize for rehashing a familiar topic - I just wanted specific advice if possible because I hard bricked my last phone when I thought I had it all figured out and I'd rather look like a dummy on here than brick another phone.

Please do some research...There is a sticky thread in general section you need to read asap

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
S4 powered by hashcode 3.72 safestrap and Echo V26 kitkat

tjhooker4
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by decaturbob View Post
Please do some research...There is a sticky thread in general section you need to read asap

Thanks, I've been reading through all of them and realized that that particular rom is not even safestrap compatible.

From everything I've read, my version of the gs4 is currently restricted to safestrap for custom ROMS - is that correct?

decaturbob
Old
Thanks Meter 766
Quote:
Thanks, I've been reading through all of them and realized that that particular rom is not even safestrap compatible.

From everything I've read, my version of the gs4 is currently restricted to safestrap for custom ROMS - is that correct?
Correct

k1mu
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1521

DONATE TO ME
Quote:

To answer the outstanding question: rooting your phone won't make it run slower.
My Android devices:
vzw Samsung Galaxy S4 stock NC5 rooted
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, also stock but rooted.

VZ Droid Incredible 2 rooted but otherwise stock.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

tjhooker4
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1mu View Post
To answer the outstanding question: rooting your phone won't make it run slower.
Ah, that was a typo. I meant to ask if ROMs would run slower when using safestrap. Thank you for your response though.

And I think I'm good with stock 4.3 for now. I just wanted a bare bones, GPE style, KitKat ROM but that does not appear to be possible on my device currently so I'll probably just wait until something like that pops up.

decaturbob
Old
Thanks Meter 766
Quote:
Ah, that was a typo. I meant to ask if ROMs would run slower when using safestrap. Thank you for your response though.

And I think I'm good with stock 4.3 for now. I just wanted a bare bones, GPE style, KitKat ROM but that does not appear to be possible on my device currently so I'll probably just wait until something like that pops up.
Safestrap gives you many options. ..hyperdrive is by far the most customizable rom out of the gate I have seen and one of the fastest..

tjhooker4
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by decaturbob View Post
Safestrap gives you many options. ..hyperdrive is by far the most customizable rom out of the gate I have seen and one of the fastest..

Thanks for the tip. I'm still trying to read up on all of the available ROMs to see if any jump out at me and Hyperdrive seems to be pretty cool, seems like a lot of people enjoy it and it has a good dev team too.