Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,878 Members 37,325 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] GPS performance

Tip us?

Kabimaus
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] GPS performance

I am wondering about how the GPS performs on the Tegra Note 7 in comparison to Nexus 7 (2013). I read on occasions that people were unhappy about how long it takes for the Tegra Note 7 to obtain a fix and that it more often loses position. Is this an issue that has been resolved in the meantime ? If so, do you have to update the ROM to get it to work well?

Reason why I'm asking is that I'm a pilot and I would like to use it to display maps. I hear the Nexus7 has excellent GPS performenace and does a great job in the cockpit because its brightest screen among all tablets but I'm really into that stylus function and so I was hoping the Tegra Note 7 could compete...

tsbrewers
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabimaus View Post
I am wondering about how the GPS performs on the Tegra Note 7 in comparison to Nexus 7 (2013). I read on occasions that people were unhappy about how long it takes for the Tegra Note 7 to obtain a fix and that it more often loses position. Is this an issue that has been resolved in the meantime ? If so, do you have to update the ROM to get it to work well?

Reason why I'm asking is that I'm a pilot and I would like to use it to display maps. I hear the Nexus7 has excellent GPS performenace and does a great job in the cockpit because its brightest screen among all tablets but I'm really into that stylus function and so I was hoping the Tegra Note 7 could compete...

While I have never used a Nexus, the GPS on the note is horrible. I literally have never gotten google maps to find me. I have had 3rd party apps like gpstest and similar to work, but I am not kidding when I say it takes 10 minutes out in the wide open to work. As of right now, there are no roms or updates to the tablet that improve the GPS. Some people's work ok, but I think the majority of the people are not happy with their gps.

Side by side with my old Evo3d, the phone takes literally about 3 seconds to find me, the tablet takes 10 minutes if at all.

Brew

Kabimaus
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsbrewers View Post
While I have never used a Nexus, the GPS on the note is horrible. I literally have never gotten google maps to find me. I have had 3rd party apps like gpstest and similar to work, but I am not kidding when I say it takes 10 minutes out in the wide open to work. As of right now, there are no roms or updates to the tablet that improve the GPS. Some people's work ok, but I think the majority of the people are not happy with their gps.

Side by side with my old Evo3d, the phone takes literally about 3 seconds to find me, the tablet takes 10 minutes if at all.

Brew
Thanks a lot, that's a very convincing reason not to consider the Tegra Note an option for GPS related applications.

tsbrewers
Old
Thanks Meter 11
No problem. after I posted that I did spend about 3 hours playing around with it. I did get gps to work better, but still not anywhere near where it should be.

philje123
Old
Thanks Meter 32
I have found it gets a signal very quickly even inside.

Did you go into settings>location and enable high accuracy?
Xperia Z Black - 32GB class 10 Samsung card - Stock ROM - Rooted

tsbrewers
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by philje123 View Post
I have found it gets a signal very quickly even inside.

Did you go into settings>location and enable high accuracy?
Yup, it is on high accuracy. I did just download a hacked, older version of maps that does actually work, but it still takes about 3 minutes to lock on. But at least it does find lock, unlike the newest version of maps.

It is more the principal of it then anything. I doubt I will ever pull the tablet out to use gps on it since my phone works well with the Igo app and my vehicle has built in gps too, so it isn't the end of the world, but it is still annoying.

Brew
Tags
gps