Lollipop Leak Available for the Sprint Galaxy S5

Since the Android 5.0Lollipop’s official release not too long ago, we’ve seen … more

CPU Spy Gets an Android Lollipop Makeover

At some point in the distant past, you probably heard of CPU Spy for Android by XDARetired … more

Amazon Fire TV Stick vs Chromecast – XDA TV

There is no doubt that Amazon is a huge player in many markets, and they want to be a huge … more

Fight the Heat and Conserve Battery with EaseUS Coolphone

Memory hungry Android applications are often responsible for making our device … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Nexus 7 2013 OTG + External Charger + Storage 1TB HDD + MicroSDHC

OP thenetvines

26th February 2014, 12:08 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 13

116 posts
Tools:

Fordex Group Micro USB Host OTG Cable with Micro USB Power for Nexus 7 Galaxy S III & Galaxy Nexus

(Fordex Group seems to be a fake company, they just get these cables off chinese manufactorers, and the quality seems to be the same of the Amazon/Ebay counterparts, excepts the shipping is local to the USA, and faster, and the cables seem to work ok, and also ok quality)

AnkerŽ Astro 3E 10000mAh Dual USB Backup External Battery Pack Portable Power Pack Charger for most Smartphones, Tablets and other USB-charged devices

Probably overkill. This thing is heavy and big (5.6 x 2.8 x 0.6 inches ; 8.6 ounces), but for any tablet, I need at least 2.1A output (this one does 3Amps)

WD 1TB Passport Ultra Edition

Meenova MicroSDHC Adapter for Nexus devices in mind

So, I have tried both ElementalX, and the Glitch kernel with stock based ROMS (CleanROM right now), and it's sweet. I am able to give power to the 1TB HDD, and also the tablet at the same time, and read/write to the external HDD to watch movies, and move files using Stickmount Pro + ES Explorer, or Nexus MediaImporter with a prettier UI (bought both just to support) using the Glitch Kernel, and that Y OTG cable.

I can also disable charge mode, and connect the 1TB directly to the tablet to read/write, however, using the tablet to power the 1TB HDD is not good, it's awesome for the small Meenova tiny adapter, but not for the 1TB HDD (slow dowsn, gets too hot, and drains fast).

I can also use the Meenova MicroSDHC reader with the same Y OTG , using a MicroUSB to USB adapter that came with the Meenova adapter (because it has a MicroUSB plug that should go DIRECTLY into the tablet)

My problem is that I wish to do both; charge, and power both, tablet and 1TB at the same time with the Y OTG cable, BUT, also be able to plug the Meenova adapter directly to the tablet without having to use the Y OTG cable, and charger, which I can't.

The option enabled on the glitch kernel to allow me to charge, and OTG at the same times is this:

"Enable USB+OTG Charge mode
Allows charging in USB host mode (disables self-powered OTG)"

"(disables self-powered OTG)" I guess this is what doesn't let me plug, and use the Meenova directly into the tablet without a power source

Does anyone know if there is a way to be able to do both?
Last edited by thenetvines; 26th February 2014 at 01:58 AM.
26th February 2014, 12:39 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 25

222 posts
Related to this, is it possible to run two drives/card readers at the same time?

What I would like to do, while traveling, is similar to the setup you have with the battery pack powering the external drive. I would like to use a card-reader and external drive at the same time to process my photos and gopro videos from the memory cards to my external drive directly, rather than going from the memory cards to the nexus, then the nexus to the external drive.
26th February 2014, 01:54 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

116 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalz71

Related to this, is it possible to run two drives/card readers at the same time?

What I would like to do, while traveling, is similar to the setup you have with the battery pack powering the external drive. I would like to use a card-reader and external drive at the same time to process my photos and gopro videos from the memory cards to my external drive directly, rather than going from the memory cards to the nexus, then the nexus to the external drive.

Hello. I am able to do this with my setup. Read carefully though, you don't want to break or damage a 1TB HDD, but I'm no electrician either. Also, the read/write speeds between microSD and HDD are ok-ish. Read on:

Sorry for bad quality pic, I have the oldest phone ever at reach :s.

Ok, here's the hub that I bought, which maybe the culprit of the slow transfer speeds maybe? I don't know. Also, sometimes the "Remaining time" may not be the most accurate. Considering the 1TB HDD is USB 3.0, and the Micro SDHC is class 10 (the fastest supposedly).

Also, the movie is 2.43 GB @ 520 KB/S may not be that bad for pictures. I don't know. I can make more tests with pictures if you want.

OniteŽ GrayBean Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Card Reader SD(HC)/MS/M2/TF 7 in 1 Card Reader, 3 USB 2.0 Port Adapter HUB, and OTG Adapter, Compatible with Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Note 3/ Note 8.0 / Galaxy S4 S3 / Nexus 4 5 7

It is the "Tab 3" generation of that hub, and the more expensive. I just bought it for fun really.

Here's something that worries me though. I'm almost sure that I damaged, and broke my previous external 1TB HDD by using only 1A (amp) as a power source.

I was using my trusty original HTC wall charger. The label in it clearly reads 1A output, and that's ok for cellphones, but maybe not for a WD 1TB external HDD. I say original, because Amazon sells a lot of FAKE HTC wall chargers, because the originals are GOOD quality for their original purpose.

I say this, because when using a 1A wall charger with the 1TB HDD, -AND- the tablet, it seemed slower, and the sound of the spinning disc inside sounded weaker as well.

The 1TB HDD would only 'sound' normal, and fully working (and NOT weak) when using at least a 1.35A source from the original wall charger for the Nexus 7 2013, which just happens to output 1.35A.

The only reason I don't understands this is because all laptops, and PC's draw out only 0.5A, which is a standard, and the WD 1TB HDD works just fine when plugged into them. So, I don't know... all I know is that I don't want to use a 1A source for the HDD, and the tablet at the same time, and I see many people here saying that it works just fine, but they maybe forcing it, because that 1A is used by the 1TB HDD AND the tablet at the same time. Be careful, and don't use the tablet as the power source for a WD 1TB either.
Last edited by thenetvines; 26th February 2014 at 02:03 AM.
27th February 2014, 04:55 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

116 posts
Bump.

Anyone know a way to be able to do what's on the first post?
17th March 2014, 08:39 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

116 posts
Thumbs up
Bump fer justice
18th March 2014, 03:58 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 7

73 posts
Plug Charging + external 3g / lte stick
I tried to hook up 3g and charging at the same time.
But it didnt work. Can anyone else try this?
I build a y cable of my own. Charging and mouse/ keybord is working. But not 3g.
I guess it doesnt get enough amper for the 3g stick, so same problem like 1. Post?
18th March 2014, 04:09 AM   |  #7  
Flag South of Heaven
Thanks Meter: 1,044

1,621 posts
More
Use a powered USB hub, this is what I use: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182174

I copied this configuration: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ps331e5e64.jpg
27th March 2014, 04:30 AM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

116 posts
Guys, you're changing the format of the original question :S

I don't mind helping out, but would like to know about the original issue...

As for the 3G question; Is that a 3G dongle or hub people use to have internet through a carrier?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread