Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,045 Members 38,121 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Need for Antivirus/malware/spyware??

Tip us?

vaNAR2
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Unhappy [Q] Need for Antivirus/malware/spyware??

Since I am new I have spent the last few hours reading posts on the XDA site so that once I make my post hopefully I won't get attacked with "that information is/was listed on" or "I've already posted that" or "you should read previous information before posting". I'm sure you get the idea. Anyway, I can't find any consensus on having virus/malware/spyware/adware installed on the Note 2014 or Galaxy SIII. Even amongst senior moderators. I've ready the links some have attached to their emails and still no consensus. Do mobile devices need them or is it just "scare tactics" as one article referred to them as. Forgive me for saying this and no name calling please, but I come from a long line of BlackBerry devices before switching to android. I haven't switched my contacts and calendars over to my tablet or phone yet because BB was known for its security protections. I didn't have to give apps half as many permissions as I do in the play store and the app would still work!

Also please help me understand how you can tell if an app from the play store is a "safe" app or not? I can't base it on names I know since as most of you probably already know BB didn't have a great app selection and didn't support android unless you rooted your tablet.

Can I get some feedback from a moderator please.

fantasmanegro
Old
Thanks Meter 85
to know if any app is safe or not is reading permission list before install it...

and as far as i know there is no reason to install antivirus in android device... it wil make your device very slow...
The Following User Says Thank You to fantasmanegro For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vaNAR2
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
What are some of the things to look out for when apps ask for permissions?

benni_1994
Old
Thanks Meter 434
Well there are different things. A game does not need to read your contacs, nor your gps. But most android apps are using more permissions as they would need. My advice is : download only the apps you need and not every junk...

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9505 mit Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to benni_1994 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

marxses
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Any app that has been in the playstore for a reasonable amount of time, has a reasonable amount of downloads and you guess it reasonable rating will be perfectly safe.

Obviously people will have different thoughts as to what reasonable is but if you're new to Android. Google best Android apps for doing "This" and you'll get heaps of suggested apps that have been tried and tested and are perfectly safe.

Do that and no you won't need antivirus but follow the same rules you wouldd with a PC..... opening links in dodgy email etc.

You shouldn't have any problems browsing the web either, even with "unknown sources" ticked you still have to give the app permission to install.

marxses
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Also this tablet has a fair amount of resources available, if it was going to put your mind at ease I don't think getting an antivirus app like AVG (most recommended I think) is going to have a noticeable or at least only minimal effect on performance.