Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,955 Members 52,890 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Saw the Z2 today....

Tip us?

finoqq84
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 48
Default Saw the Z2 today....

Today was the offical pre order for Z2 in Singapore. Was deciding to pre order one and to sell off my current z1.. The moment I picked up the Z2.. I was disappointed... The display was not as fabulous as what was reviewed.. Seriously, its slightly better then the Z1, Not as good as the Z Ultra. I can confirm that apart from the viewing angles that Z1 lacks, its almost the same as the Z2!! Infact sharper then the Z2! The camera wise, just the lack of 4K recording, the rest was infact the same as Z1 4.4... The Z2 still captures Superior Auto in 8Mp. Still No option to change the resolution in Superior Auto. Sad....
The trade in Price for Z1 here in Singapore is $450... The Z2 cost $998.... So its an additional topup of $540 to buy an additional 0.2" screen, Slightly better screen (Because of the Viewing Angles, but lost in Sharpness), an additional 1GB ram and a 4K recording software..
In the end I hesitated and walk off the shop, need to have a second thought.... So dear Bros, I have tried the display set and this is what I found out. Its up to u guys to see if its a worth upgrade.... Z Ultra's screen is still the best!!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to finoqq84 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

301stSpartan
Old
Thanks Meter 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by finoqq84 View Post
Today was the offical pre order for Z2 in Singapore. Was deciding to pre order one and to sell off my current z1.. The moment I picked up the Z2.. I was disappointed... The display was not as fabulous as what was reviewed.. Seriously, its slightly better then the Z1, Not as good as the Z Ultra. I can confirm that apart from the viewing angles that Z1 lacks, its almost the same as the Z2!! Infact sharper then the Z2! The camera wise, just the lack of 4K recording, the rest was infact the same as Z1 4.4... The Z2 still captures Superior Auto in 8Mp. Still No option to change the resolution in Superior Auto. Sad....
The trade in Price for Z1 here in Singapore is $450... The Z2 cost $998.... So its an additional topup of $540 to buy an additional 0.2" screen, Slightly better screen (Because of the Viewing Angles, but lost in Sharpness), an additional 1GB ram and a 4K recording software..
In the end I hesitated and walk off the shop, need to have a second thought.... So dear Bros, I have tried the display set and this is what I found out. Its up to u guys to see if its a worth upgrade.... Z Ultra's screen is still the best!!!
Not even close to worth it. Z2 is such a minor upgrade to the Z1. And seriously, who has a need for 4k recording? Your SD card will fill up crazy fast for a difference that you will barely, if at all, be able to notice. Do you have a 4k TV to even view it on? Since 4K is useless marketing hype, all you really get is an extra gig of RAM and a slightly bigger screen, which in my opinion is a negative feature, not positive.

Sent from my Xperia Z1 using Tapatalk
Sony Xperia Z1 C6902
Samsung Galaxy S II i9100G
Motorola Atrix 4G MB860 - RIP (bricked)
Motorola Droid A855 - RIP (drunkenly dropped in puddle)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 301stSpartan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jiyeon90
Old
Thanks Meter 154
Well from what I have seen so far the Z2's screen seems to be one of the best out there, that being said I won't buy it coz I already have the Z1, it's better to wait for the Z3, it should come with 805 processor and 32 gb internal memory.

Sent from my Xperia Z1
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiyeon90 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Steve_max
Old
Thanks Meter 193
Quote:
The Z2 is definitely NOT meant for current Z1 owners. It's a reasonable upgrade over the Z, and a very solid upgrade for the previous flagships. Nobody expects you to buy a new phone every six months, not even every year. 18 months or 24 months is a more reasonable update cycle; and Sony's current cycle gives you a brand new (< 6 months old) phone to consider whenever you decide to upgrade, while others (Apple/Samsung/etc) may have an almost one-year-old phone as their current flagship.

The only problem is when people decide they must always have the newest, then the cycle may seem too short. But, when you realize your Z1 is still among the best phones out there (even after the Z2 is launched, and possibly after the Z3 is launched), you will calm down. I didn't even consider the Z2, as the Z1 still does everything I need.

BTW, taking 20MP pictures remove one of the major advantages of the Z1/Z2 camera, which is supersampling to reduce noise. It's the same technique used by Nokia on the 808 (still the best camera phone ever), the phone analyses all 20 million pixels and "filters" the high frequency part by resampling the image to a smaller resolution, which will remove random noise and make the image cleaner. This is a byproduct of techniques used by the oil industry in oil prospecting, it's a very well established mathematical mechanism that is now being applied to photographic imaging. I'm sure it cost Sony a lot to develop/license it, and they want you to use it since the resulting 8MP image will be better than the 20MP one in almost every single case. Actually, since most people will take pictures to upload to Facebook, the 3MP/2MP settings are much more useful than the 20MP one since they allow for much more effective supersampling (and Facebook will butcher the picture down to ~2MP anyway)
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Steve_max For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MohammedFurqaan
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Default it's all the hype

Z1 is a great phone and a huge improvement over the Z. Z2 is just Z1 with a few minor improvements And a design fail. Sony included the charging port and memory card under a single flap. Only fools would sell a z1 for a z2.

Simow.b
Old
Thanks Meter 243
Every single person has his/her own Opinion
DO NOT THANK ME, BUT PRESS THAT THANKS BUTTON

Device: Sony XPERIA Z2 16Gigs Unlocked BOOTLOADER + 64Gigs MicroSD

Color: (Black)
The Following User Says Thank You to Simow.b For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

eclyptos
Old
Thanks Meter 615
The only feature I missing is when I watching youtube or gaming the dual front speaker. But not worth to sell my Z1 just for that.
IF I HELPED DO NOT SAY THANKS, CLICK IT.
My Evolution: Sony Xperia Z1 - UB + 4.3 Rooted + Deodexed, HTC HD2, HTC Diamond 2, HTC HD Blackstone, Nokia 7070 Prism, Qtek 9100, Nokia 3100, Motorola T720i, Nokia 3310, Sony Ericson PF 768 (Blue)

How Get Root on Sony Xperia Z1 with Locked Bootloader and the Latest Android 4.4

KarimSalloum
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Don't know what you saw but the screen on the Z2 I tried out was out of this world, even brighter and sharper than the Note 3's.
The Following User Says Thank You to KarimSalloum For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

finoqq84
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedFurqaan View Post
Z1 is a great phone and a huge improvement over the Z. Z2 is just Z1 with a few minor improvements And a design fail. Sony included the charging port and memory card under a single flap. Only fools would sell a z1 for a z2.
Don't say that bro, I am jusy nearly to sell and upgrade to the Z2.. Heart hurting words.. Lol..

finoqq84
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarimSalloum View Post
Don't know what you saw but the screen on the Z2 I tried out was out of this world, even brighter and sharper than the Note 3's.
Oh my dear bro, note 3's screen can't even beat the Z1...