Post Reply

[Q] HTC One M8 Developer Edition on Verizon

OP Clevinger

27th March 2014, 04:45 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
5 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
I have looked elsewhere and am having trouble finding a site that compares the HTC One M8 Developer Edition side-by-side with the Verizon edition. Does the developer edition support the same frequencies as the Verizon edition? I have an activated Verizon SIM card from a Galaxy S3 that I can cut to nano size, but I want to be sure that it will support voice and data frequencies.

I see on TechnoBuffalo (can't post the link because my post count is too low) that the Google Play edition supports:
Quote:

The HTC One (M8) Google Play Edition will support the 850/900/1800/1900MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE frequency bands, 850/AWS/1900/2100MHz WCDMA bands with support for HSPA+ 21Mbps networks, and the 700/850/AWS/1900 LTE bands with support for 2600/1800MHz roaming.

I'm wondering: if the developer edition supports all of these frequencies as well, is that sufficient for functionality on Verizon?
27th March 2014, 04:56 AM   |  #2  
kirdroid's Avatar
Senior Member
Seattle
Thanks Meter: 315
 
2,203 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevinger

I have looked elsewhere and am having trouble finding a site that compares the HTC One M8 Developer Edition side-by-side with the Verizon edition. Does the developer edition support the same frequencies as the Verizon edition? I have an activated Verizon SIM card from a Galaxy S3 that I can cut to nano size, but I want to be sure that it will support voice and data frequencies.

I see on TechnoBuffalo (can't post the link because my post count is too low) that the Google Play edition supports:


I'm wondering: if the developer edition supports all of these frequencies as well, is that sufficient for functionality on Verizon?


The developer edition doesn't have CDMA radios so doesn't work on Verizon or sprint. It sucks to be on CDMA carriers like Verizon or Sprint, always choose a GSM carrier like TMobile or ATT you will have more option than useless carriers dictating what phones you have to use.

Your only option is to wait for HTC/Verizon to release a CDMA developer edition model.
27th March 2014, 07:08 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
5 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
Damn, I was hoping it would perhaps fallback to GSM voice roaming...

Wish I could switch away from Verizon but the deal I'm getting is too good ($30/mo for unlimited data).
The Following User Says Thank You to Clevinger For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th March 2014, 12:00 PM   |  #4  
Crooke356's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Indianapolis
Thanks Meter: 145
 
503 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirdroid

The developer edition doesn't have CDMA radios so doesn't work on Verizon or sprint. It sucks to be on CDMA carriers like Verizon or Sprint, always choose a GSM carrier like TMobile or ATT you will have more option than useless carriers dictating what phones you have to use.

Your only option is to wait for HTC/Verizon to release a CDMA developer edition model.

I wish T-Mobile or AT&T were choices for me. Where I live, only VZW gets signal..and it's strong LTE. I also have no option for high speed internet at my rural home. But I do have unlimited data. So, for $90 a month I have my home internet as well as LTE everywhere I go. Been a very long time since I've seen the 3G icon. I do have an AT&T sim in my Nexus 5. If they ever expand, I'll know. However, the valley in which I live seems to hate HSPA networks. I can't get any signal whatsoever from any other carrier.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
27th March 2014, 03:23 PM   |  #5  
Member
Flag Columbus, OH
Thanks Meter: 8
 
59 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevinger

Damn, I was hoping it would perhaps fallback to GSM voice roaming...

Wish I could switch away from Verizon but the deal I'm getting is too good ($30/mo for unlimited data).


Verizon doesn't support "falling back" on GSM in any way. Sometimes when the frequencies say "WCDMA" it can be confusing, but the only time you can get a phone to to work for voice/sms on Verizon is if it suports CDMA (you'll have to look for the correct bands). Now, that doesn't mean that you wouldn't be able to get an LTE signal if you put your Verizon SIM card in it. It would work the same way the 2013 Nexus 7 works, LTE Only.

It would have to support the following:

700 MHz Block C 13 LTE 4G
1700/2100 MHz AWS 4 LTE 4G

via Wikipedia


Oh and I'm currently getting Unlimited LTE Data on T-Mo with their $20/month data plan. It's worth looking into if you have the coverage.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in One (M8) Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank