[SM-G900*] CF-Auto-Root

Search This thread

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Check your device model ! Settings -> About device -> Model number. See the third post for exact supported model numbers. If your device is a totally different model, it will not work (may even brick) !

CF-Root is the root for "rooting beginners" and those who want to keep as close to stock as possible. CF-Root is meant to be used in combination with stock Samsung firmwares, and be the quickest and easiest way for your first root.

Donate
CF-Root has been available for many devices (Galaxy S1, S2, S3, S4, Galaxy Note, Note2, Note3, dozens of Tab models, etc!) and has clocked over 22.5 million downloads. This is not even counting custom ROMs that already include it. Don't be a leech, buy me a beer (and use the "Thanks" button!). Imagine if every CF-Root user has donated me $1...

What's installed
- SuperSU binary and APK
- Stock recovery

Installation and usage
Flash the CF-Auto-Root package as PDA in ODIN (details on how to do that are in next post), and your device should reboot into a modified recovery (signified by a large red Android logo) and it will install SuperSU for you and restore the stock recovery, and reboot back into Android.

If you don't get to the red Android logo, boot into recovery manually ("adb reboot recovery", or boot while holding Power+VolUp+Home).

Using this root increases your flash counter and trips the KNOX warranty flag!

Did you see the red Android logo during rooting, but SuperSU does not appear? This may sometimes occur due to left-over files and settings, however, you can usually install SuperSU from Google Play at this stage and it'll just work.

CF-Auto-Root homepage
http://autoroot.chainfire.eu/

CF-Auto-Root main thread
[CENTRAL] CF-Auto-Root
For requests for new roots and generic discussion - please keep device specific discussion in the thread you are viewing now.

Last edited:

Chainfire

Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
ODIN Installation (detailed)

Follow these instructions to the letter. Do not touch any buttons or checkboxes that are not listed below to touch!

- Download and unzip the CF-Auto-Root-....zip file (see posts below this one)
- If you end up with a recovery.img and cache.img file, you've extracted twice. You need to end up with a .tar.md5 file - don't extract that one
- (USB) Disconnect your phone from your computer
- Start Odin3-vX.X.exe
- Click the PDA button, and select CF-Auto-Root-....tar.md5
- Put your phone in download mode (turn off phone, then hold VolDown+Home+Power to boot - if it asks you to press a button to continue, press the listed button, or run adb reboot download command)
- (USB) Connect the phone to your computer
- Make sure Repartition is NOT checked
- Click the Start button
- Wait for Android to boot
- Done (if it took you more than 30 seconds, you need practise!)

NOTE: Sometimes the device does *not* boot into recovery mode and root your device. Just do the entire procedure again if this happens. If it still will not install root and such, make sure that in Odin "Auto Reboot" is not checked. Then after flashing, pull the battery, and boot with VolUp+Home+Power button to boot into recovery manually. This will start the install process.

New to Samsung? Unfamiliar with Odin? Think all the above is a hassle? Get used to it. It's very simple, and us Samsung folk use Odin (or Mobile ODIN ;)) for everything! It's so very very convenient once you get used to it. Notice the 30 second comment above? For experienced users, the entire process indeed takes only 30 seconds!

Chainfire

Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Download

SM-G900F (International Qualcomm): CF-Auto-Root-klte-kltexx-smg900f.zip
SM-G900H (International Exynos): CF-Auto-Root-k3g-k3gxx-smg900h.zip
SM-G900I (Oceania?): CF-Auto-Root-klte-kltedv-smg900i.zip
SM-G900L (Korea): CF-Auto-Root-kltelgt-kltelgt-smg900l.zip
SM-G900M (Middle and South America?): CF-Auto-Root-klte-klteub-smg900m.zip
SM-G900R4 (US Cellular): CF-Auto-Root-klteusc-klteusc-smg900r4.zip
SM-G900T (T-Mobile US): CF-Auto-Root-kltetmo-kltetmo-smg900t.zip
SM-G900P (Sprint): CF-Auto-Root-kltespr-kltespr-smg900p.zip
SM-G900T1 (Metro PCS): CF-Auto-Root-kltemetropcs-kltemetropcs-smg900t1.zip
SM-G900W8 (Canada): CF-Auto-Root-kltecan-kltevl-smg900w8.zip
SM-G900S (Korea?): CF-Auto-Root-klteskt-klteskt-smg900s.zip

SM-G901F: http://download.chainfire.eu/481/CF-Root/CF-Auto-Root/CF-Auto-Root-kccat6-kccat6xx-smg901f.zip

SM-G906K: http://download.chainfire.eu/539/CF...to-Root-lentisltektt-lentisltektt-smg906k.zip
SM-G906L: http://download.chainfire.eu/540/CF...to-Root-lentisltelgt-lentisltelgt-smg906l.zip
SM-G906S: http://download.chainfire.eu/541/CF...to-Root-lentislteskt-lentislteskt-smg906s.zip

Other models

CF-Auto-Root is not yet available for all models - one stock firmwares for these models become available, let me know, and I'll make the corresponding CF-Auto-Roots. Make sure to check the main CF-Auto-Root site as well, as models may be listed there that are not listed here.

Last edited:

wwjoshdew

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 30, 2008
Seattle
tinyurl.com
I love you Chainfire! You are amazing. Definitely the first method I go to when rooting a device that your tool supports. I hope the AT&T S5 isn't super locked down.

Reactions: angiotell

azuziel

Nov 26, 2013
Kudos yet again chainfire. Simply my go to dev for everything root.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

kiruuu

Jan 2, 2012
near Bremerhaven
Oh, wow!
And you did it again!
You rock, man!

Now i will buy the Galaxy S5.
Thank you, for your great work!

Sent from my HTC One (M7) with Tapatalk App

Last edited:

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
@Chainfire you seriously make me wet (and im a guy..) every time i see your name come up on XDA. Your genius has no boundaries :D Rock on dude! Never stop being awesome!!

sameog

Apr 21, 2010
San Francisco
Chainfire = beast! Pure genius! Chainfire just gave me another reason to buy the S5. Big ups!

Check your device model ! Settings -> About device -> Model number. See the third post for exact supported model numbers. If your device is a totally different model, it will not work (may even brick) !

CF-Root is the root for "rooting beginners" and those who want to keep as close to stock as possible. CF-Root is meant to be used in combination with stock Samsung firmwares, and be the quickest and easiest way for your first root.

Donate
CF-Root has been available for many devices (Galaxy S1, Galaxy S2, S4, S4, Galaxy Note, Note2, Note3, dozens of Tab models, etc!) and has clocked over 22.5 million downloads. This is not even counting custom ROMs that already include it. Don't be a leech, buy me a beer (and use the "Thanks" button!). Imagine if every CF-Root user has donated me $1...

What's installed
- SuperSU binary and APK
- Stock recovery

Installation and usage
Flash the CF-Auto-Root package as PDA in ODIN (details on how to do that are in next post), and your device should reboot into a modified recovery (signified by a large red Android logo) and it will install SuperSU for you and restore the stock recovery, and reboot back into Android.

If you don't get to the red Android logo, boot into recovery manually ("adb reboot recovery", or boot while holding Power+VolUp+Home).

Did you see the red Android logo during rooting, but SuperSU does not appear? This may sometimes occur due to left-over files and settings, however, you can usually install SuperSU from Google Play at this stage and it'll just work.

CF-Auto-Root homepage

CF-Auto-Root main thread
[CENTRAL] CF-Auto-Root
For requests for new roots and generic discussion - please keep device specific discussion in the thread you are viewing now.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Donate
    CF-Root has been available for many devices (Galaxy S1, S2, S3, S4, Galaxy Note, Note2, Note3, dozens of Tab models, etc!) and has clocked over 22.5 million downloads. This is not even counting custom ROMs that already include it. Don't be a leech, buy me a beer (and use the "Thanks" button!). Imagine if every CF-Root user has donated me $1...

What's installed
    - SuperSU binary and APK
    - Stock recovery

Installation and usage

CF-Auto-Root homepage

CF-Auto-Root main thread
    [CENTRAL] CF-Auto-Root
    Download

SM-G900F (International Qualcomm): CF-Auto-Root-klte-kltexx-smg900f.zip
    SM-G900H (International Exynos): CF-Auto-Root-k3g-k3gxx-smg900h.zip
    SM-G900I (Oceania?): CF-Auto-Root-klte-kltedv-smg900i.zip
    SM-G900L (Korea): CF-Auto-Root-kltelgt-kltelgt-smg900l.zip
    SM-G900M (Middle and South America?): CF-Auto-Root-klte-klteub-smg900m.zip
    SM-G900R4 (US Cellular): CF-Auto-Root-klteusc-klteusc-smg900r4.zip
    SM-G900T (T-Mobile US): CF-Auto-Root-kltetmo-kltetmo-smg900t.zip
    SM-G900P (Sprint): CF-Auto-Root-kltespr-kltespr-smg900p.zip
    SM-G900T1 (Metro PCS): CF-Auto-Root-kltemetropcs-kltemetropcs-smg900t1.zip
    SM-G900W8 (Canada): CF-Auto-Root-kltecan-kltevl-smg900w8.zip
    SM-G900S (Korea?): CF-Auto-Root-klteskt-klteskt-smg900s.zip

SM-G901F: http://download.chainfire.eu/481/CF-Root/CF-Auto-Root/CF-Auto-Root-kccat6-kccat6xx-smg901f.zip

SM-G906K: http://download.chainfire.eu/539/CF...to-Root-lentisltektt-lentisltektt-smg906k.zip
    SM-G906L: http://download.chainfire.eu/540/CF...to-Root-lentisltelgt-lentisltelgt-smg906l.zip
    SM-G906S: http://download.chainfire.eu/541/CF...to-Root-lentislteskt-lentislteskt-smg906s.zip

Other models

CF-Auto-Root is not yet available for all models - one stock firmwares for these models become available, let me know, and I'll make the corresponding CF-Auto-Roots. Make sure to check the main CF-Auto-Root site as well, as models may be listed there that are not listed here.
    ODIN Installation (detailed)

Follow these instructions to the letter. Do not touch any buttons or checkboxes that are not listed below to touch!

- Download and unzip the CF-Auto-Root-....zip file (see posts below this one)
    - If you end up with a recovery.img and cache.img file, you've extracted twice. You need to end up with a .tar.md5 file - don't extract that one
    - (USB) Disconnect your phone from your computer
    - Start Odin3-vX.X.exe
    - Click the PDA button, and select CF-Auto-Root-....tar.md5
    - Put your phone in download mode (turn off phone, then hold VolDown+Home+Power to boot - if it asks you to press a button to continue, press the listed button, or run adb reboot download command)
    - (USB) Connect the phone to your computer
    - Make sure Repartition is NOT checked
    - Click the Start button
    - Wait for Android to boot
    - Done (if it took you more than 30 seconds, you need practise!)

NOTE: Sometimes the device does *not* boot into recovery mode and root your device. Just do the entire procedure again if this happens. If it still will not install root and such, make sure that in Odin "Auto Reboot" is not checked. Then after flashing, pull the battery, and boot with VolUp+Home+Power button to boot into recovery manually. This will start the install process.

New to Samsung? Unfamiliar with Odin? Think all the above is a hassle? Get used to it. It's very simple, and us Samsung folk use Odin (or Mobile ODIN ;)) for everything! It's so very very convenient once you get used to it. Notice the 30 second comment above? For experienced users, the entire process indeed takes only 30 seconds!
    CFAR, SuperSU v2.36, Lollipop G900FXXU1BNL2

If you just updated to the Lollipop firmware, root can indeed somewhat work. You just need to make sure you've updated everything to the very latest.

- Flash Lollipop firmware
    - Factory reset
    - Download latest CF-Auto-Root (don't use an old one), comes with SuperSU v2.36
    - Flash CF-Auto-Root

Optionally:
    - Download latest TRWP (don't use an old one)
    - Flash TWRP
    - Update SuperSU from Play Store (there is no binary update going from v2.36 to v2.37)

No, using OTA survival in SuperSU on KitKat will not keep root when updating to Lollipop.

Yes, I know, you don't want to lose your data and you do not want to wipe / factory reset. So backup or whatever before upgrading. Under no circumstance will you report anything related to SuperSU or root unless you have flashed, wiped, and only used the very latest CFAR and/or TWRP.

The reason for all this is compatibility. There is something wrong with the update process inside the ROM, going from KitKat to Lollipop without wiping (at least for me) doesn't update system packages' data files correctly, leading to many crashes, both visible and invisible. Maybe you are luckier with this than I am, but I suspect most of you will not, so if you don't wipe, you'll get no help from me.

Old versions of CFAR are not built with Lollipop compatibility, and will break things. The same goes for a older ZIP-based installation of SuperSU. Using these will lead to a myriad of both visible and invisible crashes as well (after which you need to completely reflash and wipe again). Just booting an older TWRP actually broke my data partition somehow, also requiring a complete reflash and wipe.

If you've gotten this far, you should at least have a booting system without crashes. But SuperSU may still only work intermittedly. This is because there's a race condition between SELinux policy reloads between SuperSU and Samsung's security service. That is why on one reboot you'll have root while you won't on another. This was an expected case during development, but there was no way to test it. There is now. SuperSU will be updated ASAP with a fix.
    There's a race condition between SELinux policy reloads between SuperSU and Samsung's security service.

That is why on one reboot you'll have root while you won't on another.

This was an expected case during development, but there was no way to test it. There is now. SuperSU will be updated ASAP with a fix.