Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,784,939 Members 50,994 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How long will the 2012 Nexus 7 be supported?

Tip us?

Uncleheff
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny68 View Post
There will still be custom ROM's that you can flash and it'll be compatible for years to come.

I've no intention of getting another tablet for a while yet I may get a chrome book next but I primarily use my Nexus 7, best thing I ever bought.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Agreed....best thing I ever bought. Totally worth the money and when it comes to support.....I'm still using a 2011 HTC rezound running kit kat thanks to the developers on here. Our nexus 7 (2012) will get updates thanks to developers for quite a while still.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

robjperez
Old
Thanks Meter 13
As you know Kitkat is not compatible with Galaxy Nexus, a 2011 device...

I still think that new version of Android will be compatible with Nexus 2012 (I have one so I hope so too), but probably that was the last officialy version released for this device.

It could change if they sell a new Nexus 7 this year. If they do so... I think that they will drop Nexus 2012 support this year...

Erovia
Old
Thanks Meter 244
The official GNex was dropped not because of the device itself (KK runs fine on my gf's GNex), but because the SoC's manufacturer (Texas Instruments) closed its SoC division and so they stopped updating the drivers and Google wants updated drivers in every new releases.
Phone: Nexus 4
ROM: ParanoidAndroid 4+
Kernel: hells-Core
Recovery: MultiROM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tablet: Nexus 7
ROM: SlimKat 5+
Kernel: LeanKernel
Recovery: MultiROM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Phone: Motorola Milestone A853 ROM: CyanogenMod 9.1.0d Recovery: Open Recovery MiniMod by -FuFu-

lotherius
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 590

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erovia View Post
The official GNex was dropped not because of the device itself (KK runs fine on my gf's GNex), but because the SoC's manufacturer (Texas Instruments) closed its SoC division and so they stopped updating the drivers and Google wants updated drivers in every new releases.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny68 View Post
There will still be custom ROM's that you can flash and it'll be compatible for years to come.

I've no intention of getting another tablet for a while yet I may get a chrome book next but I primarily use my Nexus 7, best thing I ever bought.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
As an owner of a previous Tegra device (g2x) I'm pretty aware of the vendor's level of support: None. Basically, once Google is done with it, nVidia will be done as well. So I wouldn't count on upgrades going on forever like we're used to with Qualcomm devices. Still, I'm getting one cheap as a backup for my N7 2013 LTE (which is in the process of getting a new screen leaving me tablet-less for now... ugh)...

QuizUp

Device Details:

PHONE: Nexus 5 - Stock / Xposed
TABLET 1: 2013 Nexus 7 LTE - Stock / Xposed
TABLET 2: 2012 Nexus 7 - Stock / Xposed / F2FS
PREVIOUS PHONES: Nexus 4 / LG G2X / Vibrant 3G / MyTouch 3G / LG Xenon / HTC G1 / HTC Touch Vogue / Sanyo KATANA / Motorola V220 / Nokia 5160 / Tin Can
PREVIOUS TABLET: HP TouchPad CM10.x
COMPUTER: Self-Built - Core i5 4670, 8GB DDR3, 240gb M500 SSD, OMFG Terabytes (7 TB last count), stuffed in a 2008 Dell XPS 730 case with a 27" AOC Monitor.
Google Plus

datallboy
Old
(Last edited by datallboy; 27th March 2014 at 04:28 PM.)
Thanks Meter 88

DONATE TO ME
Nexus devices usually get support for 18 months. So it will most likely kit kat is the last update for nexus 7 2012.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
Current Devices

XDA Banner

Retired Devices

Nook Tablet 8GB

Email: datallboy@gmail.com