LG G3 Receives Oversharpening Fix via Modified Kernel

Nothing is perfect, as they say. No matter how alluring or seemingly perfect, … more

APKTool Updated with Android Lollipop Support

One of the beauties of Android is the level of flexibility we have over our devices. Whether … more

Lollipop Leak for Sprint Galaxy S5, TWRP for Micromax Canvas Magnus – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop has been leaked for the Sprint … more

Velocity is Like OpenTable on Steroids

We all enjoy a night out with friends or our significant other from time to time. However, there is … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

How long will the 2012 Nexus 7 be supported?

OP PassingThruLife

25th March 2014, 02:52 AM   |  #11  
Flag Martinsville
Thanks Meter: 10

61 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny68

There will still be custom ROM's that you can flash and it'll be compatible for years to come.

I've no intention of getting another tablet for a while yet I may get a chrome book next but I primarily use my Nexus 7, best thing I ever bought.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Agreed....best thing I ever bought. Totally worth the money and when it comes to support.....I'm still using a 2011 HTC rezound running kit kat thanks to the developers on here. Our nexus 7 (2012) will get updates thanks to developers for quite a while still.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
25th March 2014, 11:10 AM   |  #12  
Flag Madrid
Thanks Meter: 13

27 posts
More
As you know Kitkat is not compatible with Galaxy Nexus, a 2011 device...

I still think that new version of Android will be compatible with Nexus 2012 (I have one so I hope so too), but probably that was the last officialy version released for this device.

It could change if they sell a new Nexus 7 this year. If they do so... I think that they will drop Nexus 2012 support this year...
25th March 2014, 11:24 AM   |  #13  
Thanks Meter: 251

796 posts
More
The official GNex was dropped not because of the device itself (KK runs fine on my gf's GNex), but because the SoC's manufacturer (Texas Instruments) closed its SoC division and so they stopped updating the drivers and Google wants updated drivers in every new releases.
27th March 2014, 07:09 AM   |  #14  
Recognized Developer
Flag Houston, TX
Thanks Meter: 593

2,062 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erovia

The official GNex was dropped not because of the device itself (KK runs fine on my gf's GNex), but because the SoC's manufacturer (Texas Instruments) closed its SoC division and so they stopped updating the drivers and Google wants updated drivers in every new releases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny68

There will still be custom ROM's that you can flash and it'll be compatible for years to come.

I've no intention of getting another tablet for a while yet I may get a chrome book next but I primarily use my Nexus 7, best thing I ever bought.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

As an owner of a previous Tegra device (g2x) I'm pretty aware of the vendor's level of support: None. Basically, once Google is done with it, nVidia will be done as well. So I wouldn't count on upgrades going on forever like we're used to with Qualcomm devices. Still, I'm getting one cheap as a backup for my N7 2013 LTE (which is in the process of getting a new screen leaving me tablet-less for now... ugh)...
27th March 2014, 05:23 PM   |  #15  
Flag Fremont, OH
Thanks Meter: 94

498 posts
Donate to Me
More
Nexus devices usually get support for 18 months. So it will most likely kit kat is the last update for nexus 7 2012.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
Last edited by datallboy; 27th March 2014 at 05:28 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread