XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Unlocking LG G2 for verizon?

Tip us?

andriodfanatic
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Unlocking LG G2 for verizon?

I was wondering if it was possible to unlock a Tmobile g2 for use on verizon? Also could i do the same for a ATT G2 for use on verizon?

Thanks yall!
The Following User Says Thank You to andriodfanatic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hyelton
Old
Thanks Meter 1609

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by andriodfanatic View Post
I was wondering if it was possible to unlock a Tmobile g2 for use on verizon? Also could i do the same for a ATT G2 for use on verizon?

Thanks yall!
Nope. Verizon uses different technology.... LTE is the ONLY reason Verizon phones use a sim card. You could do the Oppisite though, you can use an Verizon G2 on T-Mobile or AT&T but not the other way around.
My Build: ASRock 970 Extreme4 | Amd FX-6300 OC to 4.5Ghz | Nvidia GTX-650-Ti | 8GB 1600 | 120GB Samsung 840 SSD | 500GB Hard Drive | Windows 7 Pro | NZXT 810 White Case.
Current Phone: White Nexus 5 16GB

Check out my Personal site and Photography www.hunterspad.com
Please Click Thanks If I helped you in any way!
If you need anything Hosted Or mirrored I have my Own Server StorageCow.eu and can host anything for you

Enter The Nexus
Old
Thanks Meter 169
It's already factory unlocked.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

VZW LG G2.
> Malladus 2.0 VS98024A

ASUS MeMO Pad Smart ME301T
> OmniRom 4.4.2

nrage23
Old
Thanks Meter 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by andriodfanatic View Post

Thanks yall!
No the Tmobile version does not have CDMA radio which is what Verizon and Sprint use for 3g data and calls.
Phone:

LG G2 (Verizon)
HTC One Max (Verizon)

Tablet:

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014)

Nvidia Shield

Asus Transformer Book T100 64gb
Windows 8.1

Retired Phones: Droid DNA, HTC Rezound, Droid Bionic, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Evo 4g
Retired Tablets: Archos 5, Huwaei S7, Viewsonic G Tab, Acer A500, Asus Eee Pad Transformer, Galaxy 7 Plus, Nexus 10, Nexus 7 2013., Note 8.0, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4

hiddenfive
Old
Thanks Meter 6
The LG G2 Verizon model (vs980) comes fully gsm unlocked on 3g, 1x support.(CMDA unlocked LTE,3G,1x. I believe) I have seen multiple people have their lg g2 connected to the T-Mobile network no problem.

Someone correct me if my information is incorrect.

Thank you.

findinghomer
Old
Thanks Meter 3
No. It's impossible. Not just bc the radio technology is different, (gsm/cdma) Even if the bands were completely compatible, verizon would not allow it on their network. Only verizon certified phones will Work. Meaning they have to be verizon branded

hiddenfive
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghomer View Post
No. It's impossible. Not just bc the radio technology is different, (gsm/cdma) Even if the bands were completely compatible, verizon would not allow it on their network. Only verizon certified phones will Work. Meaning they have to be verizon branded
You CAN use GSM networks on the verizon G2, the phone radio fully supports HSPA+. You will need to change it in the hidden cellular settings pane, I just used an app called "Advanced Signal Status" and scrolled down until there was a button called "Additional Info" from there I went to "Phone Information" and you can set the preferred network type. Set it to GSM/UMTS. if you are running on stock, it's Settings > Tethering & network > Mobile networks > System and then select it. You will also need to add the APNs.

Verizon cannot lock down their phones to one network according to the FCC Network Access Regulations.
"(e) Handset locking prohibited. No licensee may disable features on handsets it provides to customers, to the extent such features are compliant with the licensee's standards pursuant to paragraph (b) of this section, nor configure handsets it provides to prohibit use of such handsets on other providers' networks."

Verizon can block certain handsets from being used on their network, but cannot block their branded phones from going on a different network if the phone's hardware supports it.

If it were impossible, how are many people connecting to and using GSM networks on the Verizon G2 (VS980)?!
Even though Verizon is a evil carrier, they cannot prevent this.

Do research before posting.

Thank you,
Stephen

findinghomer
Old
(Last edited by findinghomer; 27th March 2014 at 06:07 PM.)
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenfive View Post
You CAN use GSM networks on the verizon G2, the phone radio fully supports HSPA+. You will need to change it in the hidden cellular settings pane, I just used an app called "Advanced Signal Status" and scrolled down until there was a button called "Additional Info" from there I went to "Phone Information" and you can set the preferred network type. Set it to GSM/UMTS. if you are running on stock, it's Settings > Tethering & network > Mobile networks > System and then select it. You will also need to add the APNs.

Verizon cannot lock down their phones to one network according to the FCC Network Access Regulations.
"(e) Handset locking prohibited. No licensee may disable features on handsets it provides to customers, to the extent such features are compliant with the licensee's standards pursuant to paragraph (b) of this section, nor configure handsets it provides to prohibit use of such handsets on other providers' networks."

Verizon can block certain handsets from being used on their network, but cannot block their branded phones from going on a different network if the phone's hardware supports it.

If it were impossible, how are many people connecting to and using GSM networks on the Verizon G2 (VS980)?!
Even though Verizon is a evil carrier, they cannot prevent this.

Do research before posting.

Thank you,
Stephen
stephen, thanks for such a nice thorough post, but YOU need to reread my post or actually reread the ORIGINAL post as well. the question is , can you take another carriers phone and use it on verizon, not can you take a verizon phone and use it on GSM, we all know you can do that . LOL LOL!! . , YOU CANNOT use gsm phones or any phone what so ever on verizon unless it is a verizon branded phone, again , (like i said in my original post) REGARDLESS if its compatible with their network. thanks for rereading...and have a nice day

oh... and youre right, verizon can not lock down their phones, (again we all know that,) but they can lock down who, and what accesses THEIR network. please do more research before posting "information" lol

hiddenfive
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghomer View Post
stephen, thanks for such a nice thorough post, but YOU need to reread my post or actually reread the ORIGINAL post as well. the question is , can you take another carriers phone and use it on verizon, not can you take a verizon phone and use it on GSM, we all know you can do that . LOL LOL!! . , YOU CANNOT use gsm phones or any phone what so ever on verizon unless it is a verizon branded phone, again , (like i said in my original post) REGARDLESS if its compatible with their network. thanks for rereading...and have a nice day
I will have to apologize completely for this, I AM SORRY. I had just woken up, and was groggy, but you were right,
I AM TOO FULL OF MYSELF

Have a wonderful day!

player911
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 876

DONATE TO ME
This is why I recommend buying the Verizon model. Not only do you get additional radios to use on Verizon or any GSM network, it is unlocked out of the box and has Qi Wireless Charging unlike any of the other variants. Moving from ROM to ROM is no biggie either. I've seen people flashing Tmobile Roms on the Verizon G2.
LG G2 - Modded Stock
Nexus 7 FHD - Jelly Bean 4.4.2 [CM Kang Banged]
HTC Touch Pro►HTC Touch Diamond 2►Nexus One►LG G2x►HTC Rezound►Galaxy NexusLG G2!
iPad►iPad2►Asus TransformerGalaxy Tab 7 [CM10]Nook►Nook TabletNexus 7Nexus 7 FHD!

[Site Owner] MiiWiiChat.com - Free Chat for your Wii
[Site Owner] SnapSite Admins.com - Free Custom Website

Like what I do? - Donations welcome or hit the Thanks button!