** FOR OTHER ROMS and updated stock, see post #7 **
When you do the entitlement_check SQL hack, you are modifying a string provided by MotorolaSettingsProvider.apk. But anytime you do a factory reset, you have to repeat the SQL hack. I didn't like this, so I modified the system APK to disable entitlement by default = same end result as SQL hack.
I have tested this twice without issue, so I'd say it's ready for release. Of course you need to be rooted to modify /system/app.
I did the following with Safestrap file manager and upon rebooting (no need to wipe, it seems) the Mobile Hotspot launcher worked like a charm (:
Also did a factory reset (data, dalvik, cache) and tethering still worked just fine!
0. Backup just in case!!
1. Download attached MotorolaSettingsProvider.apk
2. Reboot into Safestrap, Mount System, and then open the File Manager (under Advanced)
3. Browse to /system/app and rename MotorolaSettingsProvider.apk to *.apk.BAK (keep as a backup)
4. Browse back to the downloaded file, click it, select Move, browse to /system/app, click Select, OK
5. Browse again to /system/app, click on MotorolaSettingsProvider.apk (NOT the one ending in .BAK)
6. CHMOD permissions as 0644 (rw r- r-)
7. Rename MotorolaSettingsProvider.odex to *.odex.BAK (backup)
8. Reboot, click Thanks, and enjoy!