Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,698 Members 48,900 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Chromecast + Chromebook

Tip us?

AndrewJB88
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Chromecast + Chromebook

Hi All,

Bought a Chromecast the other day, Connected up fine.

If I try to cast High or Extreme quality off my Acer C710 Chromebook (upgraded to 4gb ram) it becomes very juddery (the picture) the sound is fine though. I haven't yet tried this with my Acer laptop with Ubuntu. If I switch it to normal quality its fine however.

Using Sky Fibre connection (Apple Airport Extreme router).

Any ideas? Is it that the Chromebook isn't upto streaming it in that quality? (Im planning on getting the Toshiba Chromebook 13 anyway)

bhiga
Old
(Last edited by bhiga; 26th March 2014 at 07:14 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 750

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJB88 View Post
Hi All,

Bought a Chromecast the other day, Connected up fine.

If I try to cast High or Extreme quality off my Acer C710 Chromebook (upgraded to 4gb ram) it becomes very juddery (the picture) the sound is fine though. I haven't yet tried this with my Acer laptop with Ubuntu. If I switch it to normal quality its fine however.

Using Sky Fibre connection (Apple Airport Extreme router).

Any ideas? Is it that the Chromebook isn't upto streaming it in that quality? (Im planning on getting the Toshiba Chromebook 13 anyway)
Could be the wireless connectivity to Chromecast, could be the Chromebook, could be the router...

In general the tab/desktop casting is not very efficient though. Screen mirroring isn't Chromecast's primary function.

Also, what generation of Airport Extreme do you have? There were many that share the same name, but not he same features/performance.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airport_Extreme
Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! / Rootable Serial Numbers | Root Mini-FAQ | FlashCast flashing Mini-FAQ
BYO powered OTG cable | WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations | Not all 1080p/720p is same
Search Tip: Google search terms site:forum.xda-developers.com for only XDA forum results. Example
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

hazzamon
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Chromebooks in general are not designed with video encoding in mind, which is an extremely demanding task. I would say that your Chromebook's CPU is bottle-necked.

cmstlist
Old
Thanks Meter 480
It's a Celeron processor. It's not strong enough for the encoding burden required at higher bitrates.

AndrewJB88
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I had a feeling it would be the Chromebook, It plays fine at normal quality.

I wont bother with higher quality's till I get a new Chromebook.

Airport Extreme is a 5th generation one I think