Google Glass-like Clip-On For Regular Glasses Developed by Sony

For the price of $2,000, a pair of glasses that can run apps, take pictures, … more

Micromax Takes OnePlus to Court! Android Wear Receives Lollipop – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop is available officially for the Moto 360! … more

Google Invites Selected Devs to Buy Project Tango Development Kit

Just about a month ago, the curious Project Tango development kit was … more

YU Yureka: Indian Handset with CyanogenMod

Thesoap opera involving Cyanogen Inc., OnePlus, and Micromax is one of the most talked about … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] SW2 not as waterproof as what it says it is, what should i do?

OP dc959

17th March 2014, 12:42 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 83
 
282 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
Donate to Me
More
It was raining quite heavily in the weekend and I was wearing my SW2 and the charging cover was firmly pressed in as I always make sure it is after every time I charge it and it got a bit wet and seemed to be working fine during the weekend after it had gotten wet but today I noticed that the top half of the screen isn't responding pretty much at all and I can very very rarely pull down the notification bar or swipe the screen using the top half of the display but I am able to press the icons in that part. I also noticed the light sensor has little bubbles of moisture in it. Would I be able to claim it under warranty seeing it is meant to be IP57 and should have been able to be worn in the rain?
19th March 2014, 03:15 AM   |  #2  
uh60james's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Birmingham, AL
Thanks Meter: 63
 
381 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2010
More
Just file a claim, don't give then any more details than they need.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
19th March 2014, 11:53 AM   |  #3  
Penguwin's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
29 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by uh60james

Just file a claim, don't give then any more details than they need.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'd probably try the 'ol bag of rice trick and then claim it on warranty if that didn't work . Hopefully they don't have any of those color changing moisture detecting indicators in there

Best of luck!
19th March 2014, 12:21 PM   |  #4  
Member
Flag Bari
Thanks Meter: 4
 
41 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by uh60james

Just file a claim, don't give then any more details than they need.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I have done 2 showers with smartwarch 2 at the wrist and no problem. IP57 significa poter immergere l'orologio in acqua per mezz'ora fino ad un metro di profonditÓ.
20th March 2014, 01:51 AM   |  #5  
uh60james's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Birmingham, AL
Thanks Meter: 63
 
381 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguwin

I'd probably try the 'ol bag of rice trick and then claim it on warranty if that didn't work . Hopefully they don't have any of those color changing moisture detecting indicators in there

Best of luck!

Even if they do have the indicators they advertise it as water resistant, I would assume as long you don't tell them you went scuba diving with it or something crazy like that you should be good to go. That said I have never had to file a warranty claim on a Sony product before so I have no idea how much of a hassle they may give somebody.
20th March 2014, 02:08 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 83
 
282 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by uh60james

Even if they do have the indicators they advertise it as water resistant, I would assume as long you don't tell them you went scuba diving with it or something crazy like that you should be good to go. That said I have never had to file a warranty claim on a Sony product before so I have no idea how much of a hassle they may give somebody.

It did start working perfectly fine yesterday but today its suddenly become unusable where just sliding along the screen its stuttering because its picking up my finger on and off rapidly and the capacitive buttons underneath aren't responding as much as they should so I think ill just do a warranty claim saying I was walking home in the rain and didn't bother about covering the watch because it was meant to be water resistant so I assumed it would be fine seeing my phone isn't water resistant and I use that in the rain with no problems. The watch is only 4 months old so id expect them to replace it which if I get a new one I may just look into selling it new and getting google wear when they're released haha
20th March 2014, 02:12 AM   |  #7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 182
 
394 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc959

It was raining quite heavily in the weekend and I was wearing my SW2 and the charging cover was firmly pressed in as I always make sure it is after every time I charge it and it got a bit wet and seemed to be working fine during the weekend after it had gotten wet but today I noticed that the top half of the screen isn't responding pretty much at all and I can very very rarely pull down the notification bar or swipe the screen using the top half of the display but I am able to press the icons in that part. I also noticed the light sensor has little bubbles of moisture in it. Would I be able to claim it under warranty seeing it is meant to be IP57 and should have been able to be worn in the rain?


Just a small word of caution. Sony do not claim the watch to be water proof so don't use that term. The watch is water resistant only and then to a very low IP standard. IP57 is not very useful to a watch. Better than the Gear 1 though. I still maintain this is a major problem with a watch.

Good luck with your situation.

Ryland
20th March 2014, 04:58 AM   |  #8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 26
 
240 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2005
I shower, take it to jacuzzi and sauna for 3 months now, with no problem

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
20th March 2014, 12:22 PM   |  #9  
Senior Member
Flag Eindhoven
Thanks Meter: 77
 
513 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2009
More
my watch fell apart after two months of wearing, not unlike others

also, TS is not the first to report water damage after a shower

it might be true only a small batch of watches was affected with this "glue problem", but i'm not taking any chancces when it comes to water, wearing this watch in the shower (or worse) is an accident waiting to happen....
28th March 2014, 05:43 PM   |  #10  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
1 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
Thumbs down
The same thing happened to me. I just pour some water to clean the watch when it was turned off yesterday. Today it begun not showing anything on screen and later its tactile display is no responding. Also, as some of you pointed, there is small drops of water in the light sensor.

I feel really disappointed...
Last edited by marcosanchez; 28th March 2014 at 05:56 PM. Reason: typo

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes