Lollipop Leak Available for the Sprint Galaxy S5

Since the Android 5.0Lollipop’s official release not too long ago, we’ve seen … more

CPU Spy Gets an Android Lollipop Makeover

At some point in the distant past, you probably heard of CPU Spy for Android by XDARetired … more

Amazon Fire TV Stick vs Chromecast – XDA TV

There is no doubt that Amazon is a huge player in many markets, and they want to be a huge … more

Fight the Heat and Conserve Battery with EaseUS Coolphone

Memory hungry Android applications are often responsible for making our device … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

swap SD kernal help

OP ZurielRedux

25th March 2014, 05:28 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

5 posts
Hi, I'm coming back from a hard brick where I managed to ruin the formatting of my internal SD. Having spent a LOT of time trying to fix this, I decided that I would just sacrifice it and go with a swap SD kernal.

I found neatkernal which is perfect for my needs since I'm trying to flash slimkat. The only problem is that the downloads for the kernal all seem to be bad. Does anyone have a version of neat kernal swap SD laying around? I can't even post specifically in that thread because I'm new here :/

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
26th March 2014, 09:38 AM   |  #2  
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 627

932 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZurielRedux

Hi, I'm coming back from a hard brick where I managed to ruin the formatting of my internal SD. Having spent a LOT of time trying to fix this, I decided that I would just sacrifice it and go with a swap SD kernal.

I found neatkernal which is perfect for my needs since I'm trying to flash slimkat. The only problem is that the downloads for the kernal all seem to be bad. Does anyone have a version of neat kernal swap SD laying around? I can't even post specifically in that thread because I'm new here :/

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

have you tried to odin back to stock yet? it might help solve your issue but im not exactly sure as i never encountered the problem your'e having.
26th March 2014, 04:20 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzee206

have you tried to odin back to stock yet? it might help solve your issue but im not exactly sure as i never encountered the problem your'e having.

I did but it is a more complicated problem than that it seems. I've spent quitena few hoursnalready, so I'm really hoping I can get a hold of this kernel
27th March 2014, 07:52 AM   |  #4  
Flag Seattle

932 posts
More
Quote:

I did but it is a more complicated problem than that it seems. I've spent quitena few hoursnalready, so I'm really hoping I can get a hold of this kernel

neat kernel links are working fine try it again, what rom/kernel was you on prior to this issue? hope it wasnt an ics rom.
27th March 2014, 04:27 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Quote:

neat kernel links are working fine try it again, what rom/kernel was you on prior to this issue? hope it wasnt an ics rom.

I should be more specific. The download works but I can't unzip the file and it won't flash either.

Prior to the issue I was on stock, then I tried a few kernels including an ICS I think? Is there a serious issue there? I think it was Passion because I was trying to get access to a higher version of clockwork mod. For the record this is my first time messing with custom kernels so it was a bit of a learning
27th March 2014, 11:58 PM   |  #6  
Flag Seattle

932 posts
More
Quote:

I should be more specific. The download works but I can't unzip the file and it won't flash either.

Prior to the issue I was on stock, then I tried a few kernels including an ICS I think? Is there a serious issue there? I think it was Passion because I was trying to get access to a higher version of clockwork mod. For the record this is my first time messing with custom kernels so it was a bit of a learning

ok i get it now but what ever you do just do your self a favor and stay away from ics on this device, it will lead to more head aches trust me. if you wanna play with kernels they need to be the same version of android that your running i/e neat kernel is a 4.4+ kernel so you would need to flash a kitkat rom or already be on one. any ideas of what kind of rom you want to run? ive flashed most of the kitkat roms we have and can help you decide depending on what your in to rom wise. also no need to extract any thing from the kernel zip, once you flash the kernel your recovery(cwm) will be updated.
28th March 2014, 01:56 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Quote:

ok i get it now but what ever you do just do your self a favor and stay away from ics on this device, it will lead to more head aches trust me. if you wanna play with kernels they need to be the same version of android that your running i/e neat kernel is a 4.4+ kernel so you would need to flash a kitkat rom or already be on one. any ideas of what kind of rom you want to run? ive flashed most of the kitkat roms we have and can help you decide depending on what your in to rom wise. also no need to extract any thing from the kernel zip, once you flash the kernel your recovery(cwm) will be updated.

I wanted to run slimkat, but I just want something smooth so I'm open to trying other things. The only requirement I have is that the kernal needs to be swapSD since my internal isn't working.

Also, I was trying to open to open the zip so I could convert it to tar and flash with Odin. Even if I try to directly flash the nearkernal.zip, it tells me its a bad zip.

Thanks for the help by the way, I really appreciate it!
The Following User Says Thank You to ZurielRedux For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th March 2014, 09:17 AM   |  #8  
Flag Seattle

932 posts
More
Quote:

I wanted to run slimkat, but I just want something smooth so I'm open to trying other things. The only requirement I have is that the kernal needs to be swapSD since my internal isn't working.

Also, I was trying to open to open the zip so I could convert it to tar and flash with Odin. Even if I try to directly flash the nearkernal.zip, it tells me its a bad zip.

Thanks for the help by the way, I really appreciate it!

cyanaosp, vanir, ressurrection remix. i usually stick to these 3 roms but im pretty sure you may have to run an older version of neat kernel with those roms due to cm's latest changes, which you can read up on here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=356. as for slimkat it should be fine to pair with neat kernel not exactly sure though as i haven't flashed that rom before.
28th March 2014, 04:17 PM   |  #9  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Quote:

cyanaosp, vanir, ressurrection remix. i usually stick to these 3 roms but im pretty sure you may have to run an older version of neat kernel with those roms due to cm's latest changes, which you can read up on here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=356. as for slimkat it should be fine to pair with neat kernel not exactly sure though as i haven't flashed that rom before.

Hmm.. I'll look into those, tho I my main issue is still kernel. I tried older versions of neat also but they all have the same problem of not being compressed properly. Can you confirm that those files are good or did out just look at the link?

I originally wanted to run the same kernel you are running , but I don't think they have a swap SD version. I'm not sure how hard the modification is.
28th March 2014, 06:23 PM   |  #10  
Flag Seattle

932 posts
More
yeah they work i just downloaded v1.04 and 1.06, but only flashed 1.06 after restoring my nand of cyanaosp ran it for a hour then went back to vanir. sorry semaphore wont do you any good as it doesnt swap sd only neat kernel has that feature. if you want i can upload what ever version of neat that you want and send the link via pm.

Sent from my Icrap Killer using Tapatalk

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread