Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,667 Members 49,298 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] So many questions. Total rookie here.

Tip us?

ryandoodles
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] So many questions. Total rookie here.

Ok, so I just rooted my tablet, my first time too. But I have a few questions.

I have no idea what custom recovery is? How do I get it, and what are some apps and stuff I should not do before I get it.

What are some apps you recommend? Keyboard apps, uh...any apps I guess.

My biggest question is, I downloaded a emulator called dolphin emulator, so I could play the old gamecube Pokemon Colosseum. But it wont work. I do not know if any of you use this program, but any help would be appreciated. The game actually starts, shows the nintendo symbol, goes to a weird grey screeen instead of the studios logo animation, and then turns black. The fps is around 21, and during audio or the grey screen, it goes to 13 - 15 fps. Any Ideas on what might be wrong? Maybe RAM or something of that nature.

What are things like Nova and Apex?

Also, what do i need to do to install roms? What should I have before I install a rom? And what kind of roms do you recommend?

um...and I guess anything else you could tell a complete rookie. I have no idea what I'm doing. OTL

ryandoodles
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
also, what is the bloatware that i can get rid of?

ugh, basically, what have you done for your rooted note? What are some things you would recommend to another person for their device.

and for some reason i cant download SetCPU, so I downloaded CPU Tuner. What are some settings you recommend.

a.demarco
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandoodles View Post
Ok, so I just rooted my tablet, my first time too. But I have a few questions.

I have no idea what custom recovery is? How do I get it, and what are some apps and stuff I should not do before I get it.

What are some apps you recommend? Keyboard apps, uh...any apps I guess.

My biggest question is, I downloaded a emulator called dolphin emulator, so I could play the old gamecube Pokemon Colosseum. But it wont work. I do not know if any of you use this program, but any help would be appreciated. The game actually starts, shows the nintendo symbol, goes to a weird grey screeen instead of the studios logo animation, and then turns black. The fps is around 21, and during audio or the grey screen, it goes to 13 - 15 fps. Any Ideas on what might be wrong? Maybe RAM or something of that nature.

What are things like Nova and Apex?

Also, what do i need to do to install roms? What should I have before I install a rom? And what kind of roms do you recommend?

um...and I guess anything else you could tell a complete rookie. I have no idea what I'm doing. OTL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandoodles View Post
also, what is the bloatware that i can get rid of?

ugh, basically, what have you done for your rooted note? What are some things you would recommend to another person for their device.

and for some reason i cant download SetCPU, so I downloaded CPU Tuner. What are some settings you recommend.

Ok, my first bit of advice is to start reading. Things like custom recovery are easily figured out with a little research. As far as I know, the only custom recovery we have for our tablets is TWRP 2.6.x.x, not sure what version they are on now since I am not using it.

As for what to do after root, that is up to you. Get the pro version of Titanium Backup, and SuperSU at the very least, they will be very important if you want to freeze/delete bloatware and modify your phone at all.

Can't help you with the Pokemon thing.

Nova and Apex are launchers. Try them out and see if you like one better than the stock launcher. I run Nova on mine.

To install a ROM, you will need to first download TWRP, then flash the ROM. Read the directions for flashing the ROM fully before you do anything.

As for bloatware, start by freezing things you don't use in TiBu, and go from there.

In all honesty, you need to read, read, read and then read some more. You don't want to turn your tablet into a $600+ paperweight.

As for me? I am rooted running the stock ROM, Nova Prime launcher, and I froze a bunch of bloat. It is plenty fast, smooth, stable, and it looks great.
Current Phone - Samsung Galaxy S4 MDK build. Rooted and loki'd
Current Tablet - Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition (SM-P600) MK1 build. Rooted & debloated

"In order to gain respect, one must earn it first."

Novakingwai
Old
(Last edited by Novakingwai; 28th March 2014 at 05:25 AM.)
Thanks Meter 27
lol the dolphin emulator won't work because it requires an extremely powerful machine. It will only work with maybe 2 or 3 devices currently.

The developer posted this in the app description:
"If you're expecting reasonable speeds out of this, you are sorely mistaken. This will run slow on every single Android device, no matter if it is the most powerful one in the world.
Some caveats
- It will crash. Alot.
- It might need to be force closed and ran multiple times to work.
- It will run slow"

ddavtian
Old
Thanks Meter 110
Why immediately install new ROMs? There are no many ROMS for this device anyway. Rooting will help you to freeze unnecessary Samsung software, as already mentioned above (using Titanium). To try different launchers (Nova, etc.) you don't need to be rooted, just install and play with them. You have a powerful machine, learn to use it, use all the features (S Pen, multi-window, pen window, etc.) before playing with other ROMs.

dr.m0x
Old
Thanks Meter 705
Since you are rooted you must get this app:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2646432

Makes multi window way more useful.

Also Xposed Framework and multi window manager so that you can add any application to the multi window menu.

Actually there are a lot of cool things you can do with Xposed.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
The Note 3 is a beast