Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,052 Members 39,887 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] MAXX Dev Edition is no more .. recommendations?

Tip us?

doogald
Old
Thanks Meter 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenryan View Post
So my post title "Dev edition is no more" has been shown to be wrong. I like being wrong.
Well, it was out of stock for weeks, and wasn't even listed under developer phones to backorder, so it sure seemed like the dev edition was no more. I just stumbled onto the listing the other day.

br0adband
Old
Thanks Meter 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenryan View Post
OK I spoke to the second-tier support folks. They are indeed unable to get parts or do anything with my unit. Nor can they just send me a new one from stock. They are unable to access that stream of hardware. Go figure.

However what they did offer was if I ordered a new one from the Moto website, and send them proof-of-purchase, they would fully reimburse me. So it's essentially the same thing as a replacement, just done the hard way.

My guess is warranty support is handled by a third-party contractor, not by Motorola themselves. That could explain the inability to access the stock of new units. I'm further guessing they could only replace units with refurbished ones but the DE has not had enough volume for there to be refurb units available.

Well, a new unit is ordered, I'm now waiting with bated breath for the 7-day waiting period (whatever they call the shipping latency they mention on their website).

So my post title "Dev edition is no more" has been shown to be wrong. I like being wrong.
I can appreciate everything you said there, but as noted, the Dev Edition and the regular consumer model of the Droid MAXX are the exact same phones - there is no difference at all in terms of the hardware, none of it, the difference lies in having the unlocked bootloader from the factory in the Dev Edition and a locked one in the consumer model. Sounds like the people you've talked to are just coming up with excuse after excuse to not do what they're legally obligated to do: fix the damned phone or replace it, and now with that convoluted mess of a solution - "Buy a new one, we'll pay you back..." - there's just something not quite right going on there.

Seems like Motorola is still doing the same old crap that infuriated me a few years ago when they pulled the "screw you" thing with the original Atrix and Photon in terms of ICS updates: they just love doing things that piss off their customers it seems. Only reason I have a Droid MAXX at this moment is because it was completely free, I traded a donated laptop for it so it didn't cost me a cent out of pocket - I made a promise to myself that I'd never actually purchase Motorola hardware again so at least I haven't broken that yet.

I can't comprehend why Motorola would make such ridiculous claims over "parts" and the Dev Edition warranty repair you're rightly allowed to have access to - personally I would have just paid some local shop to fix the microUSB port issue (given THEY would be able to get the part(s) needed, of course, and with the popularity of Droid hardware and the fact that the Droid MAXX and Droid Ultra use effectively the same hardware in that respect) and then paid to do that Chinese unlock and seen what happened.

Regardless, good luck with the final resolution, I hope it all works out and you're back up and running with a Dev Edition soon.
Currently using nothing at all...
Tags
dev edition, maxx, replacement