Android-Ubuntu Touch Dual Boot

Tip us?

rino757
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaskaran498 View Post
Ok... so can you let me know how did you hard brick?
I mean... you were successfully able to get to dual boot right?
Then what happened?
Yup, aside from the lag and lack of features in the Ubuntu Touch builds, there was no problem.
As far as I saw, installing/dual-booting Ubuntu Touch on the Optimus G does no harm and has no side-effects.

I bricked my phone with something completely different.
(I was stupid and tried to turn the LGOG into a Nexus 4)
The Following User Says Thank You to rino757 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

HPTesla
Old
Thanks Meter 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by rino757 View Post
Yup, aside from the lag and lack of features in the Ubuntu Touch builds, there was no problem.
As far as I saw, installing/dual-booting Ubuntu Touch on the Optimus G does no harm and has no side-effects.

I bricked my phone with something completely different.
(I was stupid and tried to turn the LGOG into a Nexus 4)
Hopefully that's the case doing the dual boot install. Installing just ubuntu touch did have side effects for me, and what was weirder was that it took a few weeks. I had restored backups, made backups and flashed different roms for about 2 weeks after I installed ubuntu touch. Then all of a sudden, twrp stopped making backups and I stated the rest, lol. Have you hopped onto the irc #lg-optimus-g channel btw? Are you sure there is no hope for your lgog? Im guessing whatever you did wiped out the sbl and download mode with it?

Like the banner? Original Dr Who image found here.

Sprint LS970 LG optimus G
with Viper1.1 Kernel

Nexus 7 2nd Gen 2013
with Multirom TWRP 2.6.3

My android bootanimations can all be found here.

"Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability.” - H.P. Lovecraft
“The present is theirs; the future, for which I really worked, is mine.” - Nikola Tesla

rino757
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPTesla View Post
Hopefully that's the case doing the dual boot install. Installing just ubuntu touch did have side effects for me, and what was weirder was that it took a few weeks. I had restored backups, made backups and flashed different roms for about 2 weeks after I installed ubuntu touch. Then all of a sudden, twrp stopped making backups and I stated the rest, lol. Have you hopped onto the irc #lg-optimus-g channel btw? Are you sure there is no hope for your lgog? Im guessing whatever you did wiped out the sbl and download mode with it?
I did go on the irc and no luck.
Yup, no download mode or sbl.
I'll send it in for a JTAG sometime.

Jaskaran498
Old
Thanks Meter 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPTesla View Post
twrp somehow s*cks at Ubuntu stuff (It just doesn't know how to handle it).
Use something like Philz (somehow, its able to handle it).
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaskaran498 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

HPTesla
Old
Thanks Meter 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaskaran498 View Post
twrp somehow s*cks at Ubuntu stuff (It just doesn't know how to handle it).
Use something like Philz (somehow, its able to handle it).
Thanks for the info! But until ubuntu touch supports cdma, there really isn't a reason for me to install it.

Like the banner? Original Dr Who image found here.

Sprint LS970 LG optimus G
with Viper1.1 Kernel

Nexus 7 2nd Gen 2013
with Multirom TWRP 2.6.3

My android bootanimations can all be found here.

"Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability.” - H.P. Lovecraft
“The present is theirs; the future, for which I really worked, is mine.” - Nikola Tesla

Aremis117
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I've been trying to get dual boot **** to work all day. Any chance I could get the one you have :I

Aremis117
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rino757 View Post
So I just saw news that dual booting is in development, and with the nexus 4 being modeled after the LGOG, I thought why not try?
After playing around with the dual-boot installer, I got my hands on the installer's apk!
Anybody wanna take a crack at reverse-engineering the app to work on the Optimus G?
(Kinda new to android development so I'm not sure if that's possible, but it would be awesome if it worked!)

Edit: Changed the build.prop to appear as Nexus 4. App is now functional.
Edit2: IT WORKS (sorry for the caps) Installed and dual boot works.
Edit3: VERY IMPORTANT! Dual-booting also happens to remove your recovery.
(Which comes back after you uninstall Ubuntu, though it seems like your backups are erased?)

After installation, everything stays the same except you have the option to reboot into Ubuntu Touch from within the Installer app.
When you start up the phone normally, it boots straight into Android.

Fun side note: If you are using CyanogenMod it installs right away, but the cannels become inoperable to use. This booted right up on my LS970 on cm-11-20140210-SNAPSHOT-M3-ls970