USB broken.. Can I root/flash recovery?

Search This thread

jeroenpico

Sep 3, 2009
Amsterdam
Hey all,

My USB broke i guess. I tried different cables and different computers, but nothing recognizes the device at all (not anything in device manager).

My TF700 is unlocked, so no warranty :( I want to flash a custom ROM, but my tablet isn't rooted and has stock ROM and recovery. Anything I can do or is my only option to get it fixed by asus? :(

_that

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Oct 2, 2012
My USB broke i guess. I tried different cables and different computers, but nothing recognizes the device at all (not anything in device manager).

My TF700 is unlocked, so no warranty :( I want to flash a custom ROM, but my tablet isn't rooted and has stock ROM and recovery. Anything I can do or is my only option to get it fixed by asus? :(

Try cleaning the connector - at least it helped someone I know who even used an external battery charger for his phone for a few months because he thought USB was broken. ;)

jeroenpico

Sep 3, 2009
Amsterdam
Try cleaning the connector - at least it helped someone I know who even used an external battery charger for his phone for a few months because he thought USB was broken. ;)

I tried this, but it doesn't seem to help. It's only the usb connection not working, I still can charge the tablet.
I've also tried my girls TF300 which works with all my cables and my computer, so I'm afraid it's the usb connector on my tablet.

But there is no way to get root acces or a custom recovery without usb?

_that

Oct 2, 2012
But there is no way to get root acces or a custom recovery without usb?

You could try to downgrade to 10.6.1.14.8 by putting the firmware zip on a microSD card (there are guides about details how to name the zip that I don't remember right now), then you could root it with Motochopper, and then you can install a custom recovery using dd to mmcblk0p4 and rebooting.

The problem: No safety net. If something goes wrong in the process, the normal way to fix it is fastboot via USB - if your USB doesn't work, then the tablet would be bricked.

berndblb

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Motochopper won't work if there is absolutely no USB connection since you have to run it from your PC

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

jeroenpico

Sep 3, 2009
Amsterdam
You could try to downgrade to 10.6.1.14.8 by putting the firmware zip on a microSD card (there are guides about details how to name the zip that I don't remember right now), then you could root it with Motochopper, and then you can install a custom recovery using dd to mmcblk0p4 and rebooting.

The problem: No safety net. If something goes wrong in the process, the normal way to fix it is fastboot via USB - if your USB doesn't work, then the tablet would be bricked.

I need working USB in order to achieve root acces with motochopper right?

fatboyinlycra

Nov 21, 2012
Mold
This is probably a stupid suggestion but I'm good at making those, is there any way he could copy the required files to a micro SD then insert the card back into the tablet and then use a terminal emulator to update his recovery?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

_that

Oct 2, 2012
This is probably a stupid suggestion but I'm good at making those, is there any way he could copy the required files to a micro SD then insert the card back into the tablet and then use a terminal emulator to update his recovery?

I think for rooting you need at least a shell with the "shell" user account (which has more privileges than a normal app), but the terminal emulator runs under its own app user account.