5,600,725 Members 38,531 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Root for Ultra/Maxx after 4.4

Tip us?

bigv5150
Old
Thanks Meter 149
I'm guessing by now the replacements are refurbished units not brand new. That is not good I would guess if they refurbish a model it would get the newest update. The new phones are more than likely sitting on a shelf and don't get updated. Unless that stock is gone and the new ones are shipping with 4.4. I guess what I am trying to say is its a crap shoot at this point.

Sent from my XT1080 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to bigv5150 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Kryptik1
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanexvi View Post
Buy dev edition. Unlock bootloader. Install custom recovery. Install su. Profit?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Hmm sounds like this would work. Any takers on this? Anyone have a developer with 4.4 ? If you do I need a copy.

kenryan
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptik1 View Post
Hmm sounds like this would work. Any takers on this? Anyone have a developer with 4.4 ? If you do I need a copy.
Buy the developer edition (they are back in stock on Moto's website). Follow the directions on Moto's website to unlock.

Then look for NWKENT's posts in this forum for his easy instructions for installing TWRP, which will then install root for you.

If what you're thinking is to take a rooted image from a dev edition and drop it onto a consumer phone, it won't work unless the consumer phone is also unlocked.
The Following User Says Thank You to kenryan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]