Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,152 Members 54,510 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

GPS issues on mk2 w/ root and ss

Tip us?

xerythul
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 29
Default GPS issues on mk2 w/ root and ss

So I just recently upgraded from MF3 with root and safestrap to MK2, also root and ss as the title suggests. The process went smoothly, even got myself a shiny new shostock installed painlessly. Today I went to use my navigation and came to the realization that my gps will not lock on, just endless waiting for location. My first thought was to get a baseline on the rom, so I swapped to my stock slot still with stock rom and was having the same issue, endless waiting for loc.

So I have done a lot of searching around, tried a few gps fix apps, to no avail. Has anyone else run into the same issue or possibly have some advice to offer me? Everything else works just fine, lte, wifi etc, just the dang gps! Thanks in advance everyone!
Current Devices

Samsung Galaxy s4 on MK2 firmware, rooted and safestrapped running...
-In progress!!

Samsung Galaxy tab 2 7.0" rooted running Slimbean w/ android 4.3

TBayTom
Old
Thanks Meter 113
I'm having the same issue.. I unrooted and disabled/uninstalled safestrap with no luck. I even had AT&T reflash mk2 for me, but still no GPS locking on. Anyone help?

hovax615@hotmail.com
Old
Thanks Meter 308
Try using this app.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...uble.FasterFix

AT&T Galaxy S4 SGH-I337 RUNNING HYPERDRIVE 12
The Following User Says Thank You to hovax615@hotmail.com For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

greekunit690
Old
Thanks Meter 141
Same thing happened to me. Just installed the MDL modem and worked again right away :thumbup:

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
Phone (Galaxy S4)
Model Number: SAMSUNG-SGH-I337
Android Version: 4.4.2
Baseband Version: I337UCUAMDL
Slim Version: Slim-4.4.2.build.3.2-WEEKLY-3138
Build Number: slim_jflteatt-userdebug 4.4.2 KVT49L 3138 test-keys

Tablet (Galaxy Note 10.1)
Model Number: GT-N8013
Android Version: 4.3.1
IOKP version: iokp_n8013_v1.4_RC1-20131116
Build number: iokp_n8013-user debug 4.3.1 JSS15J eng.mrimp.20131116.060935 test-keys

smalis
Old
(Last edited by smalis; 8th January 2014 at 06:51 PM.)
Thanks Meter 129
Same issue here - see my thread at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2599961 (with 0 replies).

I will try restoring shostock and flashing the MDL modem.

UPDATE: Booted back to stock and GPS now working, without flashing a new modem! Restored ShoStock nandroiid, and GPS working there also! No idea why.

xerythul
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 29
I finally found the problem, in hyperdrive there is an option to choose your region for faster gps locks. I went in, saw it was set to asia, changed it to north america, then deleted hyperdrive so I could have more space for shostock and my gps is now working flawlessly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app
Current Devices

Samsung Galaxy s4 on MK2 firmware, rooted and safestrapped running...
-In progress!!

Samsung Galaxy tab 2 7.0" rooted running Slimbean w/ android 4.3

mess18
Old
(Last edited by mess18; 25th March 2014 at 10:40 AM.)
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBayTom View Post
I'm having the same issue.. I unrooted and disabled/uninstalled safestrap with no luck. I even had AT&T reflash mk2 for me, but still no GPS locking on. Anyone help?
Same with me: I've reflashed with leaked KK, than back to stock MK2, installed several modems: nothing, GPS would not lock and no satellites are found.
trillog Old
Thanks Meter
Quote:
Originally Posted by mess18 View Post
Same with me: I've reflashed with leaked KK, than back to stock MK2, installed several modems: nothing, GPS would not lock and no satellites are found.
The same happened with me on my MK2 SS with GoldenEye rom. I tried everything and nothing would work. I flashed several modems, booted in stock rom, restored MK2 with odin, factory reset multiple times, tightened the screws on the frame of the phone, and nothing worked..

My only solution was to Odin to MK2, upgrade to KK via the OTA update from AT&T. And from there, reflash stock 4.4 image with Odin. After all that, my GPS is finally working again.

Oh when I went from MK2 to NBA with AT&T OTA, my wifi stopped working, so if that happens just restore with the KK stock image in Odin. I even had scheduled a repair with Samsung, but I guess I wont be sending it in anymore.

To anyone having problems, this is what I had to do to fix it. I need my GPS working, so I didnt really care about upgrading from MK2 to NB1, besides I am sure a root method will be out within weeks. (or you can do the downgrade method)

mess18
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillog View Post
The same happened with me on my MK2 SS with GoldenEye rom. I tried everything and nothing would work. I flashed several modems, booted in stock rom, restored MK2 with odin, factory reset multiple times, tightened the screws on the frame of the phone, and nothing worked..

My only solution was to Odin to MK2, upgrade to KK via the OTA update from AT&T. And from there, reflash stock 4.4 image with Odin. After all that, my GPS is finally working again.

Oh when I went from MK2 to NBA with AT&T OTA, my wifi stopped working, so if that happens just restore with the KK stock image in Odin. I even had scheduled a repair with Samsung, but I guess I wont be sending it in anymore.

To anyone having problems, this is what I had to do to fix it. I need my GPS working, so I didnt really care about upgrading from MK2 to NB1, besides I am sure a root method will be out within weeks. (or you can do the downgrade method)

So, actually I have solved the problem. Please read my long story in the post #2050 here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...05752&page=205.
It also should solve Wi-Fi problem as well as I had it too in between...

The Following User Says Thank You to mess18 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]