Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,101 Members 42,660 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

WiFi Calling on Aosp

Tip us?

PhilPan
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 70

DONATE TO ME
Default WiFi Calling on Aosp

Please forgive my ignorance, if this has been asked already. I recently converted from VERIzon to finally be able to unlock my phones!

Just got AOSP running, do any of the ROMs incorporate the wifi calling features on the stock ROM......Im guessing no, but I couldn't find a definitive answer.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app

toastido
Old
Thanks Meter 437

DONATE TO ME
No.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
If I've helped you, hit the Thanks! button!

Devices:
2012 ASUS Nexus 7 - KitKat 4.4.4 Stock ROM - leanKernel(grouper) v4.0
T-Mobile Galaxy Note 3 - KitKat 4.4.2 Stock ROM(N900TUVUDNF4) - leanKernel(N900T) v3.7

Helpful Threads by Yours Truly:

realfoxm
Old
Thanks Meter 0
It's unfortunate. Hoping that hangouts/GV will eventually integrate this feature in the future. But here's to hoping!

toastido
Old
Thanks Meter 437

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by realfoxm View Post
It's unfortunate. Hoping that hangouts/GV will eventually integrate this feature in the future. But here's to hoping!
Hangouts/GV is something entirely different from wifi calling. Wifi calling is baked in by tmo and requires touchwiz and some propriety libraries. Hangouts/GV is completely independent of this and should work fine on AOSP

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
If I've helped you, hit the Thanks! button!

Devices:
2012 ASUS Nexus 7 - KitKat 4.4.4 Stock ROM - leanKernel(grouper) v4.0
T-Mobile Galaxy Note 3 - KitKat 4.4.2 Stock ROM(N900TUVUDNF4) - leanKernel(N900T) v3.7

Helpful Threads by Yours Truly:

Product F(RED)
Old
Thanks Meter 2,584

DONATE TO ME
Short answer: 100% impossible. The Wifi Calling app itself has been open-sourced by T-Mobile, but how to completely implement it into the device framework, as well as the SIM authentication method (I believe) is still a mystery. Well, we know HOW it's done, but not how to implement it. I'm not a developer, just stating what I've read.

On older devices, when T-Mobile used UMA instead of SIP (two different protocols) for Wifi Calling, it was possible to do. But as of now, there are huge bounties to try and implement it in AOSP ROMs because no one has been able to do it.

HTC Evo 4G -> HTC Evo 3D/Nexus S 4G -> Galaxy S II -> iPhone 4S -> Galaxy S II -> Galaxy Nexus -> Galaxy S3 i9300 -> Galaxy Note 2 i317 -> Galaxy Note 2 T889