Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,708 Members 54,069 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Need some help, problems with Chromecast, can't cast anything!

Tip us?

colhavoc
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default Need some help, problems with Chromecast, can't cast anything!

Hi,

I just got a Chromecast yesterday now that they are finally available in Canada, and for the life of me I can't get it to work. I have it setup and connected to my wireless network no problem, but I can't get it to cast anything to the screen. Right now, i'm trying to use the Chromecast as a way to stream media on my local SAMBA/miniDLNA server, to my TV. The computer that serves the files (Samba/miniDLNA) is a Raspberry Pi, and in no way can transcode files. So, I am trying to use Allcast from my phone to transcode and cast the file to my TV.

Problem is, everytime I try to cast, Chrome changes screen and shows the file name, but sits there and never actually shows the video. So, thinking it was just the app I tried Pandora and tried to cast to my TV, that didn't work either, says it is unable to connect to cast. I'm at my wits end trying to figure this out, and from all that I have read and researched, I can't find a good reason why I can't get anything to work yet.

Anyone else have these problems? Is there something in my router that I need to open up for this to work?

Help please!
Phones:

Current:
Rogers (unlocked) Galaxy S3 SGH-i747m w/ Quantum 4

Formers:
Apple iPhone 5 64GB
Galaxy S4 SGH-1337m (Bell, Stock)
Galaxy S3 SGH-i747m (SOLD: Stock, unlocked)
Apple iPhone 4s
Apple iPhone 4
Galaxy S2 I9100M
Motorola Milestone
Apple iPhone 3GS
Galaxy S i9000m: CM 10.1 Rooted, Unlocked (purchased it on a whim, gave to a friend).

Tablet:
Apple iPad Air (current)
Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 (Sold)
Asus TF300T: PAC-man ROM PA3.15 (Sold: Returned to stock 10.6.1.8)

Asphyx
Old
Thanks Meter 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by colhavoc View Post
Hi,

I just got a Chromecast yesterday now that they are finally available in Canada, and for the life of me I can't get it to work. I have it setup and connected to my wireless network no problem, but I can't get it to cast anything to the screen. Right now, i'm trying to use the Chromecast as a way to stream media on my local SAMBA/miniDLNA server, to my TV. The computer that serves the files (Samba/miniDLNA) is a Raspberry Pi, and in no way can transcode files. So, I am trying to use Allcast from my phone to transcode and cast the file to my TV.

Problem is, everytime I try to cast, Chrome changes screen and shows the file name, but sits there and never actually shows the video. So, thinking it was just the app I tried Pandora and tried to cast to my TV, that didn't work either, says it is unable to connect to cast. I'm at my wits end trying to figure this out, and from all that I have read and researched, I can't find a good reason why I can't get anything to work yet.

Anyone else have these problems? Is there something in my router that I need to open up for this to work?

Help please!
Allcast does not transcode....

Read this thread....http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2689141

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 746

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by colhavoc View Post
Hi,

As Asphyx said, Allcast doesn't transcode, so if your media isn't in a Chromecast-compatible format, it'll just show the filename but just have black screen.

Beyond that, the first step is usually to verify that the native/optimized Chromecast applications work - YouTube, Pandora, etc.
That will help eliminate some router issues from the equation.
Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! / Rootable Serial Numbers | Root Mini-FAQ | FlashCast flashing Mini-FAQ
BYO powered OTG cable | WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations | Not all 1080p/720p is same
Search Tip: Google search terms site:forum.xda-developers.com for only XDA forum results. Example
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'