Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,807 Members 53,128 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Droid MAXX with T-Mobile SIM - no APN data, at all?

Tip us?

br0adband
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 356
Question [Q] Droid MAXX with T-Mobile SIM - no APN data, at all?

Ok, so I got a Droid MAXX yesterday and it's a great phone - downside is the one I got had Android 4.4 on it so there goes any potential for doing some experimentation with it, and while I realize I could do that Chinese unlock thing (does unlocking the bootloader provide for being able to root/etc, I don't know for sure just yet, still doing the research), I suppose I may just keep this one for a while but, if someone offers me the right price it'll disappear like dozens of other devices and smartphones.

Anyway, I'm going to move my T-Mobile service to it (the $30/month 5GB plan we all love so much and pray doesn't disappear anytime soon) over the weekend but at this moment what I've used a completely new T-Mobile nanoSIM (my current one is a microSIM) in the MAXX and it'll connect as expected: I make the adjustment from Global to LTE/GSM/UMTS in mobile networks and it's fine, shows LTE and it'll connect with the T-Mobile website and yes it's damned fast.

However, when I go to look at the APN data it's blank. I mean totally blank, as in there's no APNs listed whatsoever but it's connected to T-Mobile and using LTE too as shown using Phone Info (the installed APK) but there's no APN data.

On top of that it doesn't offer the option to add an APN either - the + mark that typically is there next to the menu button top right corner isn't there, and when I use the menu option all I get is "Reset to default" which does nothing at all, of course.

So, am I missing something here or is this happening because the nanoSIM I'm testing this with is unactivated - I ordered it from T-Mobile recently because they were free with free shipping and so I'd have one or two around just in case I needed one.

Kinda baffling to me but there's just no APN data and I can't add new ones. If I put the original Verizon nanoSIM in it of course it'll show Verizon APNs (like a dozen of them, oddly, but that nanoSIM is deactivated anyway).

Was just curious, and I did try to find more info about missing APN data but wasn't successful in locating any other threads or members asking or having the same issue.

If anyone has any advice or suggestions I'm open to hearing them. Most likely it will end up being because it's a completely new unactivated nanoSIM but I figured it can't hurt to proffer the question anyway.

Thanks...

<my 777th post... come on 7!!!>
Currently using nothing at all...

Milton515
Old
Thanks Meter 33

DONATE TO ME
You should be able to add a APN once you activate the Sim... At least that was the case with my droid mini I'm using on H2O

Sent from my XT1030 using xda app-developers app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1396173788355.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	2658634   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1396173795095.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	2658635  
Droid Mini- Stock (DD)
Carrier: H2O
HTC Sensation- Pac-Man CM11 Nightly (DD)
Rooted
S-off
Sim Unlocked
Carrier: T-Mobile
D1- TEAM MIUI 1.1.14.0 (Sold)
Stock kernel
Meizu M9 Theme Gingerbread Custom Keyboard
Carrier: Verizon
G1- Stock Gingerbread Rom (Sold)
Stock Kernel
Stock Launcher Pro Plus
Carrier: T-Mobile