XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] lumia 1520(RM-937) on T-Mo USA

Tip us?

elknimrod
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] lumia 1520(RM-937) on T-Mo USA

I want the lumia 1520, but I'm on T-Mobile in the US. I will never got to AT&T for very good reasons, so please don't suggest it. The one offered for sale here is the rm-937 which doesn't cover the 1700 band needed for TMO lte , and I understand it's not possible to change the phone to cover it either.

My question is: is anyone using the rm-937 on TMO US? If so, how are the data speeds? Are there other issues that should be known about the phone/carrier relationship?

When ATT finally brings out the 32gb version, I may try to unlock that and use it on TMO, but I've heard that path is fraught with issues too.

I've also heard rumors that TMO may adopt the lumia 1520, but at this point that's all it is; rumors.

Thanks for any info and/or advice, these XDA forums are one of the top resources on the net.

Ed
-still on my 5 year old HD2 with an XDA custom rom, but it still works well.

thals1992
Old
Thanks Meter 192

DONATE TO ME
The new Lumia Icon to be released on February 20th? will have support for Verizon's LTE AWS band that's the same as T-Mobile's. I'd recommend that as you'll want the faster data speeds.

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2475
HSPA+ will get you (in my experience) about 14Mbps down and 7 up... LTE is better than twice that (30-35 down, about 12 up), but most of the time it doesn't matter anyhow (heck, it's faster than my home net connection).
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.

blakkheartt12
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by elknimrod View Post
I want the lumia 1520, but I'm on T-Mobile in the US. I will never got to AT&T for very good reasons, so please don't suggest it. The one offered for sale here is the rm-937 which doesn't cover the 1700 band needed for TMO lte , and I understand it's not possible to change the phone to cover it either.

My question is: is anyone using the rm-937 on TMO US? If so, how are the data speeds? Are there other issues that should be known about the phone/carrier relationship?

When ATT finally brings out the 32gb version, I may try to unlock that and use it on TMO, but I've heard that path is fraught with issues too.

I've also heard rumors that TMO may adopt the lumia 1520, but at this point that's all it is; rumors.

Thanks for any info and/or advice, these XDA forums are one of the top resources on the net.

Ed
Check out new egg. Do search for 1520.3. It is the unlocked international version that has AWS band. They only have the all black and the white left. Yellow version is gone. Here is a pick of the bands that is printed on the box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1520 tmobile bands.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	2652449  
Tilt, Advantage X7501, LG Incite, Fuze,Xperia X1a, Pure, Tilt2, Iphone 3G-3GS, HTC HD2, Atrix, HTC EVO, HTC Evo 3d, GSII, Samsung Focus, Iphone 4, Moto Photon,GS III, Galaxy Note 2
The Following User Says Thank You to blakkheartt12 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

compu829
Old
Thanks Meter 196
Quote:

Ed
if there is a certain Lumia 1520 that supports AWS HSPA+ (Looks like there is, based on previous posts) You should be able to pick up any 1520 and reflash it with a variant that supports it. (I am basing this on how you can "convert" a 520 to a 521 by reflashing via NCS...)

blakkheartt12
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Quote:

Ed
Oh forgot to mention the version on new egg is 32GB and has the QI charging system instead of the at&t mess they put in there.
Tilt, Advantage X7501, LG Incite, Fuze,Xperia X1a, Pure, Tilt2, Iphone 3G-3GS, HTC HD2, Atrix, HTC EVO, HTC Evo 3d, GSII, Samsung Focus, Iphone 4, Moto Photon,GS III, Galaxy Note 2
Tags
lte, lumia 1520, t-mobile