Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,442 Members 43,308 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

I'm stuck! Is a factory cable required?

Tip us?

pastorbob62
Old
(Last edited by pastorbob62; 25th March 2014 at 01:38 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 74
Default I'm stuck! Is a factory cable required?

I spent about 6 hours yesterday trying to root my Kindle Fire HD 7" tablet using various methods. I've searched numerous posts and tried several ways with no success.

I believe my ADB drivers are working properly because I am able to reboot the tablet from adb successfully. And in the Windows Device Manager it shows the "Android Composite ADB Interface" as my driver. But the command "adb reboot bootloader" just reboots back into the standard Home screen. And any fastboot command just gives me the "waiting for device" response.

I am on Version 7.4.8 of the firmware so I am trying to find a way to downgrade. I purchased it in November 2012 so it is the 2012 tablet. But every method I try just fails for one reason or another. So my question is, do I need a factory cable in order to get anywhere with this? Is it even doable with this version firmware?

Thank you in advance.
Asus Transformer TF300T
ROM: CROMBi-kk 20140811
Kernel: _thatV10
Android Runtime / F2FS

Kindle Fire HD
ROM: CyanogenMod 11-20140811-NIGHTLY-tate
Kernel: 3.0.72+
Android Runtime / F2FS

Asus Transformer TF700T - Stock

Huawei U8800-51
ROM: MIUI multilingual ForEver 2.3.7

Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini Duo GT-I9192 - Rooted - stock with bloat removed

“The best exercise for the human heart is reaching down to lift someone else up.”

stunts513
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 606

DONATE TO ME
It is doable without a factory cable, the known rooting utilities people typically use are kindle fire first aid or binary's root. If you still can't get it to root, you can technically use a fastboot cable and kffa to restore it to a earlier is that os pre-rooted.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk
My Wallpaper Fix for KF2, KFHD 7", and KFHD 8.9" is HERE
Please Read the instructions and use the debugger if you run into errors.
My own modified adb drivers for just about all kindles (includes old twrp and cm versions) HERE
Tablet UI Patch for latest CM10.1 build HERE!

Please send complaints to /dev/null
The Following User Says Thank You to stunts513 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

LinearEquation
Old
Thanks Meter 404

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorbob62 View Post
I spent about 6 hours yesterday trying to root my Kindle Fire HD 7" tablet using various methods. I've searched numerous posts and tried several ways with no success.

I believe my ADB drivers are working properly because I am able to reboot the tablet from adb successfully. And in the Windows Device Manager it shows the "Android Composite ADB Interface" as my driver. But the command "adb reboot bootloader" just reboots back into the standard Home screen. And any fastboot command just gives me the "waiting for device" response.

I am on Version 7.4.8 of the firmware so I am trying to find a way to downgrade. I purchased it in November 2012 so it is the 2012 tablet. But every method I try just fails for one reason or another. So my question is, do I need a factory cable in order to get anywhere with this? Is it even doable with this version firmware?

Thank you in advance.
First thing you need to do is download the SDK package and set the paths correctly. Here is a video guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaNM-lt_aHw

Once the paths are set then you go to where your tools folder is and hold shift and right click on your mouse and left click on "open command window here." Then type "adb devices" and enter. When you get a device number you will have proof your ADB is working correct. The fact you see it in your device manager is a pretty good sign though.

The command you are looking for is (must be rooted to use this command otherwise you do need a factory cord.)
adb shell su -c reboot bootloader

This is the command to check the whether fastboot is working
fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product

This is the command to get you out of fastboot.
fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot

No fastboot commands will work until you download the SDK package and set the environment up. You should be able to get into the bootloader though.
[ROOT] 2013 KFHD7 Soho firmware 11.x.x.x (no camera)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...44736&page=101 If needed contact @GranPC for an updated Firerooter.
[Root] 2012 KFHD7 Tate http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1886460
2nd [Bootloader]/[TWRP] KFHD7 Tate
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2128848
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2271909
KFHD7 Tate System Restore Tool http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1951254
The Following User Says Thank You to LinearEquation For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pastorbob62
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinearEquation View Post
First thing you need to do is download the SDK package and set the paths correctly. Here is a video guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaNM-lt_aHw

Once the paths are set then you go to where your tools folder is and hold shift and right click on your mouse and left click on "open command window here." Then type "adb devices" and enter. When you get a device number you will have proof your ADB is working correct. The fact you see it in your device manager is a pretty good sign though.

The command you are looking for is (must be rooted to use this command otherwise you do need a factory cord.)
adb shell su -c reboot bootloader

This is the command to check the whether fastboot is working
fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product

This is the command to get you out of fastboot.
fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot

No fastboot commands will work until you download the SDK package and set the environment up. You should be able to get into the bootloader though.
I appreciate your reply and information very much. However, I downloaded the SDK package and installed it over a year ago and have used Fastboot for three other devices numerous times. I used Fastboot with my Asus TF300T to flash recoveries, and return to Asus Stock on more occasions than I can count. I am currently running CROMBi-kk 20140323 on that same tablet. Just to be certain, I connected it just now as I am typing this and verified several Fastboot commands. I also have a Huawei U8800-51 and a Samsung S4 Mini Duo GT-I9192 and have used Fastboot commands with them as well.

So I don't think it is an issue with the driver not being installed correctly, or the SDK not being present unless it is a version specific issue. But the Samsung phone is much newer than the Kindle so I don't think it is that either.

So I guess that puts me at an impasse until I get a factory cable. Or I can just forget customizing the Kindle.
Asus Transformer TF300T
Android Runtime / F2FS

Kindle Fire HD
Android Runtime / F2FS

Huawei U8800-51

“The best exercise for the human heart is reaching down to lift someone else up.”

LinearEquation
Old
Thanks Meter 404

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I appreciate your reply and information very much. However, I downloaded the SDK package and installed it over a year ago and have used Fastboot for three other devices numerous times. I used Fastboot with my Asus TF300T to flash recoveries, and return to Asus Stock on more occasions than I can count. I am currently running CROMBi-kk 20140323 on that same tablet. Just to be certain, I connected it just now as I am typing this and verified several Fastboot commands. I also have a Huawei U8800-51 and a Samsung S4 Mini Duo GT-I9192 and have used Fastboot commands with them as well.

So I don't think it is an issue with the driver not being installed correctly, or the SDK not being present unless it is a version specific issue. But the Samsung phone is much newer than the Kindle so I don't think it is that either.

So I guess that puts me at an impasse until I get a factory cable. Or I can just forget customizing the Kindle.
You said you were using simply adb reboot bootloader right? Did you try the command I suggested? "adb shell su -c reboot bootloader" because if everything is set up right then this should work. CD from the tools folder.
[ROOT] 2013 KFHD7 Soho firmware 11.x.x.x (no camera)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...44736&page=101 If needed contact @GranPC for an updated Firerooter.
[Root] 2012 KFHD7 Tate http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1886460
2nd [Bootloader]/[TWRP] KFHD7 Tate
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2128848
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2271909
KFHD7 Tate System Restore Tool http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1951254
The Following User Says Thank You to LinearEquation For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pastorbob62
Old
(Last edited by pastorbob62; 26th March 2014 at 01:05 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinearEquation View Post
You said you were using simply adb reboot bootloader right? Did you try the command I suggested? "adb shell su -c reboot bootloader" because if everything is set up right then this should work. CD from the tools folder.
Okay, got it working. Not sure what the problem was but I reinstalled SDK-Tools and Platform-Tools using the latest version of SDK. I was then able to use KFFA to root the Kindle and do a full backup. Not sure why it didn't work before the reinstall since I used ADB and Fastboot with my TF300T as recently as a week and a half ago while testing CROMBi-kk. Also verified they still worked with that tablet yesterday. Whatever the problem, it was specific to the Kindle.

One more question. Is it necessary to downgrade from 7.4.8 before installing a second bootloader and custom ROM? Or is that just a precautionary step because some people have had issues.
Asus Transformer TF300T
Android Runtime / F2FS

Kindle Fire HD
Android Runtime / F2FS

Huawei U8800-51

stunts513
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 606

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Okay, got it working. Not sure what the problem was but I reinstalled SDK-Tools and Platform-Tools using the latest version of SDK. I was then able to use KFFA to root the Kindle and do a full backup. Not sure why it didn't work before the reinstall since I used ADB and Fastboot with my TF300T as recently as a week and a half ago while testing CROMBi-kk. Also verified they still worked with that tablet yesterday. Whatever the problem, it was specific to the Kindle.

One more question. Is it necessary to downgrade from 7.4.8 before installing a second bootloader and custom ROM? Or is that just a precautionary step because some people have had issues.
Its kinda just a precautionary measure, to put it plainly, your kindle will bootloop into recovery if you do the process on 7.4.8, so unless you know how to use "Adb push" its suggested to put the rom and gapps onto the kindle ahead of time so it will be there when you start to bootloop into recovery. On another note, you do need to downgrade the bootloader though, if you use hashcodes method, please check the md5sum on the bootloader file before flashing it to avoid a hardbrick. If you used the fireflash method i wouldnt worry about it, just make sure you check off the downgrade bootloader button above or beside the red warning text.
My Wallpaper Fix for KF2, KFHD 7", and KFHD 8.9" is HERE
Please Read the instructions and use the debugger if you run into errors.
My own modified adb drivers for just about all kindles (includes old twrp and cm versions) HERE
Tablet UI Patch for latest CM10.1 build HERE!

Please send complaints to /dev/null

FillTheVoid
Old
Thanks Meter 55
I had these same issues. The device wouldn't boot into fastboot while it was <waiting for device>.

I did this.

1. Used Many Root Tool to gain root. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1886460

2. Placed the Rom and Gapps file on my sd card to be safe.

3. Used Anonymous.123's Tool up until the fastboot <waiting for device> malfunction. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2685414

4. Opened the Batch File for the Flasher Tool and copied and pasted the fastboot commands into a terminal with the Kindle in Fastboot. The only way I could get it in fastboot was "adb shell su -c reboot bootloader"

This will install the 4.2 bootloader so you don't have to flash back.

5. Profit 2nd Bootloader and TWRP

Good luck. You'll get it.

Sorry I Keep using the quote reply wrong. Havn't been on XDA in a while.
The Following User Says Thank You to FillTheVoid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pastorbob62
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 74
Okay, following Hashcode's procedure, I have successfully completed all steps up to flashing CM 10.2. TWRP works great and I made a backup from it. Not really necessary since I had backed up my Kindle three different ways and also copied all of my data to my PC as well.

But when I went to copy the TWRP backup to my PC for safekeeping I discovered that now I no longer have access to my Kindle from my PC's file explorer when I am booted into my Kindle. Prior to doing any of the steps here I could swap files back and forth without any problem. So how do I get that feature back??

I am running WIndows 8.1. This worked before I followed the procedures here. Also, when I pull files in adb where do they get stored??? Can't seem to find them.
Asus Transformer TF300T
Android Runtime / F2FS

Kindle Fire HD
Android Runtime / F2FS

Huawei U8800-51

FillTheVoid
Old
Thanks Meter 55
Check the storage settings in CM you have to turn MTP storage in.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app