Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,441 Members 43,655 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How much does things like xprivacy/orbot/a firewall mitigate poor rom sec?

Tip us?

gaikokujinkyofusho
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default How much does things like xprivacy/orbot/a firewall mitigate poor rom sec?

I was reading through this sub forum and other forum posts about secure roms (or the lack there of) and there seems to be alot of faith placed in ones privacy/security being protected by just using the combination of a few tools (there actually seems to be little discussion about how secure the rom itself is). So I wanted to ask how effective, generally using something that blocks permissions (xprivacy, pdroid, LBE??), a firewall, orbot or a vpn, and some antivirus/security app (lookout?) are in patching up "holy" roms? or are these things not going to help someone with a less than secure rom?

DR3W5K1
Old
Thanks Meter 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaikokujinkyofusho View Post
I was reading through this sub forum and other forum posts about secure roms (or the lack there of) and there seems to be alot of faith placed in ones privacy/security being protected by just using the combination of a few tools (there actually seems to be little discussion about how secure the rom itself is). So I wanted to ask how effective, generally using something that blocks permissions (xprivacy, pdroid, LBE??), a firewall, orbot or a vpn, and some antivirus/security app (lookout?) are in patching up "holy" roms? or are these things not going to help someone with a less than secure rom?
The problem with some of these solutions is that you giving them root. Any time that you give root it is potentially dangerous. Once an app has root it no longer needs you to permit it permissions. It already has all the permission it could ever need.

angruvidal
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR3W5K1 View Post
The problem with some of these solutions is that you giving them root. Any time that you give root it is potentially dangerous. Once an app has root it no longer needs you to permit it permissions. It already has all the permission it could ever need.

True security from strong attackers is pretty much impossible with the mobile network carriers. Best you can really do is virus/malware/permissions prevention, but I presume that's what's your referring to.

Phones are tracking devices... The network is half the problem.
Tags
privacy, security