Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Is overclocking made automatically?

OP silmes

30th March 2014, 07:01 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1

32 posts
So, I have installed ExtremeKernel3 on my phone, together with EliteGamer 2.0.

And to the question. Apparently the ExtremeKernel overclocks the processor. But how do I know if my phone is overclocked or not? Is the overclocking made automatically, when I install the kernel? Or do I have to do anything else to overclock it? I just donīt know how it works.
Last edited by silmes; 30th March 2014 at 07:04 PM.
30th March 2014, 07:27 PM   |  #2  
Flag shiraz
Thanks Meter: 74

259 posts
More
U can use "no frills CPU" to overclock ur cpu

Sent from my R800i using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
30th March 2014, 07:44 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 497

902 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by silmes

So, I have installed ExtremeKernel3 on my phone, together with EliteGamer 2.0.

And to the question. Apparently the ExtremeKernel overclocks the processor. But how do I know if my phone is overclocked or not? Is the overclocking made automatically, when I install the kernel? Or do I have to do anything else to overclock it? I just donīt know how it works.

Overclocking means that you can set phone's clock speed more then manufacturer default speed. For Xperia Play deafult clock is 1GHz.
Term "overclocking enabled kernel" means that value of clock speed is higher then in deafult (stock) kernel.

To be able to have use of that higher speed, you need an app that take take of clock speed. For example No-frills CPU Control There you set speed of your clock.

What value of clock you can set is determined in kernel. for example, in stock kernel you can set 1GHz and below, in DoomLord kernel you can set up to 2GHz and in Lupus kernel you can set up to 1.6GHz. Remember that doesn't mean your phone can work at that high speed - it is invidually on each phone how much overclocking each phone can take before it just don't work anymore (for example, my phone can't get past 1.8GHz, it can work on 1.7GHz only when on charger, but it is stable on battery on 1.6GHz)

The reason devs make overclocking kernel is to give an option how much max clock speed you can set. But that doesn't mean you should do this by any means, because, even it can work on higher clock, it can be bad for cpu if you do it on long period of time.
With higher clock, phone drain more current from battery, wich means overheating can lead to degrading battery life, shortening cpu and/or electronics lifespan in general
But, with overclocking you could shorten electronic lifespan from 10 years to 4 years, and nowdays hardware became obsolete in only few years, and that's why lot of people don't care about danger that overclocking bring.

If previous text was TL;DR, here is short version:

Kernel gives you option what is MAX speed you can set, with an app you choose what clock speed you want to use
Last edited by Bakisha; 30th March 2014 at 07:49 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bakisha For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th March 2014, 07:49 PM   |  #4  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1

32 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakisha

Overclocking means that you can set phone's clock speed more then manufacturer default speed. For Xperia Play deafult clock is 1GHz.
Term "overclocking enabled kernel" means that value of clock speed is higher then in deafult (stock) kernel.

To be able to have use of that higher speed, you need an app that take take of clock speed. For example No-frills CPU Control There you set speed of your clock.

What value of clock you can set is determined in kernel. for example, in stock kernel you can set 1GHz and below, in DoomLord kernel you can set up to 2GHz and in Lupus kernel you can set up to 1.6GHz. Remember that doesn't mean your phone can work at that high speed - it is invidually on each phone how much overclocking each phone can take before it just don't work anymore (for example, my phone can't get past 1.8GHz, it can work on 1.7GHz only when on charger, but it is stable on battery on 1.6GHz)

The reason devs make overclocking kernel is to give an option how much max clock speed you can set. But that doesn't mean you should do this by any means, because, even it can work on higher clock, it can be bad for cpu if you do it on long period of time.
With higher clock, phone drain more current from battery, wich means overheating can lead to degrading battery life, shortening cpu and/or electronics lifespan in general
But, with overclocking you could shorten electronic lifespan from 10 years to 4 years, and nowdays hardware became obsolete in only few years, and that's why lot of people don't care about danger that overclocking bring.

If previous text was TLDR, here is short version:

Kernel gives you option what is MAX speed you can set, with an app you choose what clock speed you want to use

Thank you very much for an informative answer!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread