5,595,760 Members 38,425 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Is there an alternative Google Play client?

Tip us?
 
oren_b
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 32
Join Date: Jan 2012
Default [Q] Is there an alternative Google Play client?

The regular Google Play client is very thin on features. Specifically when it comes to automatic update one can either enable or disable it. I'm looking for a way to have my apps automatically updated unless they're on an auto-update blacklist. I basically want mark specific apps to not be auto-updated. This way I can be sure that applications that are important to me only get updated manually, typically after I get a chance to read reviews from early adopters and confirm that the new version is not broken or crippled.
 
Oehr
Old
#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 2
Join Date: Sep 2012
Bumping an old thread.

I am looking for something similar.
I don't like that GP can install and update APKs remotely and without my input, however I cannot find a proper market replacement for Google Play yet.
 
AAbounegm
Old
#3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 23
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Cairo
Quote:
Originally Posted by oren_b View Post
The regular Google Play client is very thin on features. Specifically when it comes to automatic update one can either enable or disable it. I'm looking for a way to have my apps automatically updated unless they're on an auto-update blacklist. I basically want mark specific apps to not be auto-updated. This way I can be sure that applications that are important to me only get updated manually, typically after I get a chance to read reviews from early adopters and confirm that the new version is not broken or crippled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oehr View Post
Bumping an old thread.

I am looking for something similar.
I don't like that GP can install and update APKs remotely and without my input, however I cannot find a proper market replacement for Google Play yet.
First of all, you can choose specific apps to auto-update, and you a general setting for all apps whether to auto-update on Wifi-Only, anytime, or never. You can then go to each app and press the menu button and you'll find an "Auto update " option with a check mark.

However, if you don't like Google Play, then the best alternative is Aptoide. You can find all apps on it, you can add other stores created by users other than the official Aptoide one and find more apps on them. However, you can't be sure that the version you have is the latest version. It can be the latest but on this store only. You can open Aptoide.com and search for the app you want if you didn't find it on the Aptoide app. It will then get you the latest version on all of the Aptoide stores and you can simply scan a QR code to get the app.
The Following User Says Thank You to AAbounegm For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
oren_b
Old
#4  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 32
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAbounegm View Post
First of all, you can choose specific apps to auto-update, and you a general setting for all apps whether to auto-update on Wifi-Only, anytime, or never. You can then go to each app and press the menu button and you'll find an "Auto update " option with a check mark.
Thanks so much for this tip! Here's what I now do:

1. Make sure WiFi is disabled, then enable the option to Auto Update apps over WiFi only
2. Go through all my apps and uncheck the ones that I don't want to auto update (basically everything critical that I can't afford to break).
3. Enable WiFi
4. Remember to blacklist new apps if they ever become mission critical
 
AAbounegm
Old
#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 23
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Cairo
That's good, but you don't have to disable your WiFi. And if you check Do not Auto-update apps, it will send a notification every once in while telling you that there are apps that have updates and you can choose which ones to update. I think this way is much easier than going through every app and unchecking auto-update. And I have 2 questions: 1- What is that Blacklist you are talking about? I have no such thing. 2- What version of the Play Store do you have?
 
oren_b
Old
#6  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 32
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAbounegm View Post
That's good, but you don't have to disable your WiFi. And if you check Do not Auto-update apps, it will send a notification every once in while telling you that there are apps that have updates and you can choose which ones to update.
If I don't disable WiFi before enabling this feature and unchecking ("blacklisting") apps, then it'll just start downloading updates for apps which I don't want to update. Disabling WiFi (temporarily) prevent this.

Quote:
I think this way is much easier than going through every app and unchecking auto-update.
Not if I want most of my apps to auto-update and only a handful to require manual approval.

Quote:
And I have 2 questions: 1- What is that Blacklist you are talking about? I have no such thing.
"Blacklist" is a term used for marking some items where an action which occurs normally should not for selected items. For example blacklisting a sender in an email client would allow most email in but block email from this sender. Similarly, unchecking this Google Play option for specific apps would also auto-update for most apps, except those marked (in other words, those "blacklisted").

Quote:
2- What version of the Play Store do you have?
I'm using Play Store 4.6.17 on Android 4.1.2 (Galaxy Note 2).
 
Oehr
Old
#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 2
Join Date: Sep 2012
imo, blacklisting and all the stuff you described just doesnt cut it for me. I am reluctant to give any software su access, especially stuff like google play.

I checked out Aptoide. its okay i guess, but doesnt provide up to date apps...

I wonder why most freeware devs arent providing their APKs on their own websites and open source devs add their software to f-droid or provide a repository to be added there.

Android is so far away from what made linux nowadays...

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Google Glass XE16 Update Factory Image and Rooted Bootloader Now Available

You may recall that early yesterday, we talked about the XE16 … more

Add Swipe Utilities to Your App with SimpleFingerGestures Library

Gestures have become an increasingly important element in smartphone UI … more

Android App Review: Lock it Down with Lockdown Pro – XDA Developer TV

Our smartphones are our lives. They store our contacts, emails, … more