XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

T-Mobile Note3 randomly rebooting

Tip us?

daneurysm
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 316
Default T-Mobile Note3 randomly rebooting

So, I got my Note3 last week as soon as I heard CM11 nightlies were officially available. I spent zero time with the stock ROM.

Everything installed perfectly the first time. CM11 ran nearly perfectly, especially considering it's a nightly and there are no stable releases or RCs, yet, etc.

On Thursday I spent a full day at my desk at work. I noticed that my phone rebooted in my pocket. I figured "hey, it's a nightly...I've seen far worse"....then I noticed almost every 2 hours it seemed to reboot again, sometimes more frequently. It never rebooted in the middle of me using it...only while in my pocket.

So, I figured "hey, no big deal. Another nightly or two and this should be ironed out." So I restored my stock backup on Friday after work. All weekend long, no problems whatsoever. I figured it must have been something wonky in the nightly CM11.

Then on Monday, while sitting at my desk, it happened again...and again....and again. Same exact circumstances. I figured maybe I borked something so I got a restore-to-stock and flashed it via Odin.

Well, long story short this continues to be a problem whenever I spend any significant time at my desk at work. It doesn't happen anywhere else so far. It happens with any ROM I throw at it. I've Googled around and it appears that I'm far from the only person experiencing this problem however I don't experience froot-loops like a lot of people. Just semi-random reboots.

Now, I'm pretty convinced that a different (or new) modem would take care of this. I had the GS2 on Sprint and we had a problem we referred to as "LOS" (Loss Of Service) which typically required a reboot...even on my bone-stock phone...it seems to happen with the same randomness. One thing I do know about sitting at my desk, my phone is constantly switching back and forth between H, H+, LTE, DC and occasionally E...Edge being the only thing that gets solid service about 1 wobbly bar.

That's my own theory. This isn't a deal breaker for me. It only happens at work and if I wait a few seconds my phone is back in commission without any intervention.

Anyone else have a similar experience, tips, ideas, theories...? I'm more curious than anything.

krelvinaz
Old
Thanks Meter 519
Perhaps a Wi-Fi issue?
Phone: TMobile - Samsung SM-900T Galaxy Note 3 - KitKat Rooted/Stock - QI Wireless
Tablet: Nexus 7 16gb Stock Rooted - 4.4 w/TWRP Recovery
Droid Like Devices: Several ChromeCasts, Amazon Fire TV
Link: ReZoundn EVO 4g LTE and HTC Droid DNA Splash Screen Web Generator

daneurysm
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by krelvinaz View Post
Perhaps a Wi-Fi issue?
I keep wifi off at all times, wifi scanning set to off. I have unlimited data and my 4G speeds outclass my (relatively very good) cable modem speeds at home and at work (I live and work a stones throw from the NOC...I mean...literally, across the street from both places). I would prefer wifi if it wasn't sketchier than my cell connection.

So, it's not that.

siraltus
Old
Thanks Meter 318
How many files on your microSD card? Notice I asked how many, not how much space taken up. Android's media-scanner service seems to have huge stability issues once you cross the 10,000 files threshold. If that's your case, delete some files and see if it still reboots. I had about 10k files, deleted down to 6.5k and no more random reboots for me.

_bhaves_
Old
(Last edited by _bhaves_; 29th March 2014 at 07:56 PM.) Reason: More info
Thanks Meter 0
I have the same issue, and I don't have a micro SD card in the slot. The phone will randomly restart, usually after unlocking the phone. I have disabled wifi-scanning, auto app updates, and factory reset device, but nothing helps. It didn't do this before the kit kat update. It only happens maybe once a day or every other day. It's not terrible, just annoying at times. I'm thinking its a software bug.
Also, i'm running everything stock at the moment.

daneurysm
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 316
I have been on Cyanogenmod nightlies since I got the phone...and in the past week or two it does not reboot randomly with either Cyanogen or AOKP. At all. Still does with TW, I haven't taken the KK update so I don't know if that will help or hurt....and unless I absolutely am required to I won't be taking that update ever.

twanskys204
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 956
Maybe some kind of interference, that's kinda odd that it's happening only at your desk. And on stock.....

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app