Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,576 Members 37,865 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Can't do anything in recovery after failed encryption attempt using CM11 Nightly.

Tip us?

thenimboo
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Angry Can't do anything in recovery after failed encryption attempt using CM11 Nightly.

Hey guys,

My password isn't working (never did) and I can't get much done in my phone. What to do?

So I was running CM11 on my LS980 and things were working great. I had a nandroid of the rooted stock software on my PC, and decided to encrypt my phone.

So I tried to encrypt my phone, the encryption went well (I think), but when I got to the screen where I type a number in, my code wouldn't work. I wrote it down, I made absolute sure I had it right. I selected the Pin option, as well as the option to automatically unlock the phone when the pin is entered correctly.

I typed the proper code in, and it just kept saying "try again." I have a nandroid backup of the rooted stock Rom saved to my computer, so I can fix this I think, but how do I get back in? I originally heard that wiping data/factory reset would get rid of encryption, but when I try this with my CWM 6.0.4.7 I get:

-- Wiping data...
Formatting /data...
Error mounting /data!
Skipping format...
Formatting /cache...
Formatting /sd-ext...
E: unknown volume for path [/sd-ext]
Formatting /sdcard/.android.secure...
Error mounting /sdcard/.android_secure!
Skipping format...
Data wipe complete.

Someone told me this has to do with the way CWM tries to format things (by mounting them first), and that I can go into mounts and storage. but which ones do I format there? I really don't want to mess anything up. Here are my options:

/boot
system
data
cache
persist
firmware
sns
persist-lg
mpt
/data and /data/media (/sdcard

Thanks!

jhr5474
Old
Thanks Meter 276

DONATE TO ME
Default Mods, please move

1. You are in the wrong section, this is not help and troubleshooting (I know more people will see it here) However, we learn from others mistakes and when you post in there people with the same problem might search and see a solution of how you solved your problem.

2. Not sure if adb works in recovery or if it will in your situation but I would try adb reboot recovery or try adb sideload and sideload a rom onto it.
Sprint LG LS980
Running my build of AICP 4.4.4 (unofficial)

THE THANKS BUTTON IS ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!!

Judge Joseph Dredd
Old
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator - Judgment is Coming
Thanks Meter 25,501
This does not belong in the Development Section, read the Forum Rules on posting....Moved here, thanks.

thenimboo
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhr5474 View Post
1. You are in the wrong section, this is not help and troubleshooting (I know more people will see it here) However, we learn from others mistakes and when you post in there people with the same problem might search and see a solution of how you solved your problem.

2. Not sure if adb works in recovery or if it will in your situation but I would try adb reboot recovery or try adb sideload and sideload a rom onto it.
Ok ****. So far I've always avoided having to use adb while rooting (rooted evo 4g, gs2, and lg g2). Guess it's time to learn. Any advice on where to start reading?

thenimboo
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Joseph Dredd View Post
This does not belong in the Development Section, read the Forum Rules on posting....Moved here, thanks.
Hey thanks man

While you're here mind telling me why my profile pic doesn't show up on my posts?