[Q] noob question regarding reverting to an older version

OP chuSmu

25th March 2014, 09:16 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 13

74 posts
Hi there,

I'm kinda embarassed to ask, cause I think this MUST have been answered already - but seriously, I can't find it >.<
the latest nightlies (3/25) caused my find5 to be unable connect to any Wifi networks (it found the networks, but wasn't able connect..),
so i wanted to check if I messed sth up, or if it was just the nightly and decided to revert to an older version. However in doing so
I think i messed up a lot since some apps were displayed at beeing not installed, the play store didnt display any apps, not even the ones
installed ect... (wifi was working again btw.)
What I did was wiping cache, dalvik, system and flashing the older version downloaded from the omni rom website and wiping dalvik/cache again.
The uninstalled apps (which were still displayed) and the weird play store persisted when i went back to 3/25.

Where did I mess up? .. Sorry to bother.

chuSmu
26th March 2014, 03:01 AM   |  #2  
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 38

107 posts
More
Hi!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuSmu

What I did was wiping cache, dalvik, system and flashing the older version downloaded from the omni rom website and wiping dalvik/cache again.
The uninstalled apps (which were still displayed) and the weird play store persisted when i went back to 3/25.

Did you wipe your data partition? That is where your apps are located. If you have corrupted apps, that's where I would look.

But, of course, before doing anything, don't forget to make a backup in your recovery!
The Following User Says Thank You to Alexandre-P For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th March 2014, 09:48 AM   |  #3  
OP Member

74 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandre-P

Hi!

Did you wipe your data partition? That is where your apps are located. If you have corrupted apps, that's where I would look.

But, of course, before doing anything, don't forget to make a backup in your recovery!

Hi Alexandre-P,
thanks for your reply! I didn't wipe the data cause i usually don't have to do it when flashing a new version of the rom
of the same android version. Unfortunately i didn't do a backup pre flashing, but I will before tinkering around more ^^
But can you confirm that the flashing process in general was correct, or in case it was incorrect, where did i mess up?
26th March 2014, 12:43 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
Hey hi. I am a newbie. i am using samsung gs3 and i am on jb 4.3, i want to install custom rom. so pleas help me with how to install custom roms and and what are the this i should be needed
26th March 2014, 01:59 PM   |  #5  
OP Member

74 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellboyxxx

Hey hi. I am a newbie. i am using samsung gs3 and i am on jb 4.3, i want to install custom rom. so pleas help me with how to install custom roms and and what are the this i should be needed

There is a difference in installing a custom rom for the first time and flashing new versions - in this aspect the question doesn't exactly relate.
Since the installing a custom rom for the first time (I assume that's what u want) includes steps that differ from device to device you should
check your device's forum. You should find all the answers there.
Just an advice - no offense intended, really: Try to avoid posting things that don't relate in other threads. Use the search function in the forum/google before asking a question. If you can't find anything post a new thread!

kind regards chuSmu

back to the topic: can anyone confirm the way i flashed when reverting to a previous version?
27th March 2014, 08:14 PM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,365

651 posts
You wiped /system but not /data? That's where things went wrong. Your fresh and newly installed /system apps are looking at the same funky /data from your previous install.

Generally, if you want to revert, simply dirty-flash the nightly you're looking for. It works.
If you're looking for a clean installation to troubleshoot a problem, TiBu your apps, wipe /system /data /cache & dalvik and start completely clean.

Quote:

Hi there,

I'm kinda embarassed to ask, cause I think this MUST have been answered already - but seriously, I can't find it >.<
the latest nightlies (3/25) caused my find5 to be unable connect to any Wifi networks (it found the networks, but wasn't able connect..),
so i wanted to check if I messed sth up, or if it was just the nightly and decided to revert to an older version. However in doing so
I think i messed up a lot since some apps were displayed at beeing not installed, the play store didnt display any apps, not even the ones
installed ect... (wifi was working again btw.)

Where did I mess up? .. Sorry to bother.

chuSmu

Quote:

Hi Alexandre-P,
thanks for your reply! I didn't wipe the data cause i usually don't have to do it when flashing a new version of the rom
of the same android version. Unfortunately i didn't do a backup pre flashing, but I will before tinkering around more ^^
But can you confirm that the flashing process in general was correct, or in case it was incorrect, where did i mess up?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cyril279 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th March 2014, 01:13 PM   |  #7  
OP Member

74 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyril279

You wiped /system but not /data? That's where things went wrong. Your fresh and newly installed /system apps are looking at the same funky /data from your previous install.

Generally, if you want to revert, simply dirty-flash the nightly you're looking for. It works.
If you're looking for a clean installation to troubleshoot a problem, TiBu your apps, wipe /system /data /cache & dalvik and start completely clean.

Thanks ..that was my mistake >.<.
31st March 2014, 03:43 AM   |  #8  
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 38

107 posts
More
Hi again!

Quote:

I didn't wipe the data cause i usually don't have to do it when flashing a new version of the rom
of the same android version.

You generally don't have to wipe /data if you want to update your ROM version.
But if you want to downgrade your actual ROM's version, or switch to another ROM, I think you should format /data, as it might contain updated or incompatible new apps, frameworks or setting files.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alexandre-P For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st March 2014, 08:38 AM   |  #9  
OP Member

74 posts
Thanks again. I'll keep that in mind!

Sent from my Find 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread