Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,194 Members 51,720 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] noob question regarding reverting to an older version

Tip us?
 
chuSmu
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Posts: 74
Join Date: May 2013
Default [Q] noob question regarding reverting to an older version

Hi there,

I'm kinda embarassed to ask, cause I think this MUST have been answered already - but seriously, I can't find it >.<
the latest nightlies (3/25) caused my find5 to be unable connect to any Wifi networks (it found the networks, but wasn't able connect..),
so i wanted to check if I messed sth up, or if it was just the nightly and decided to revert to an older version. However in doing so
I think i messed up a lot since some apps were displayed at beeing not installed, the play store didnt display any apps, not even the ones
installed ect... (wifi was working again btw.)
What I did was wiping cache, dalvik, system and flashing the older version downloaded from the omni rom website and wiping dalvik/cache again.
The uninstalled apps (which were still displayed) and the weird play store persisted when i went back to 3/25.

Where did I mess up? .. Sorry to bother.

chuSmu
 
Alexandre-P
Old
#2  
Alexandre-P's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 36
Posts: 104
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Montreal
Hi!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuSmu View Post
What I did was wiping cache, dalvik, system and flashing the older version downloaded from the omni rom website and wiping dalvik/cache again.
The uninstalled apps (which were still displayed) and the weird play store persisted when i went back to 3/25.
Did you wipe your data partition? That is where your apps are located. If you have corrupted apps, that's where I would look.

But, of course, before doing anything, don't forget to make a backup in your recovery!
The Following User Says Thank You to Alexandre-P For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
chuSmu
Old
#3  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Posts: 74
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandre-P View Post
Hi!

Did you wipe your data partition? That is where your apps are located. If you have corrupted apps, that's where I would look.

But, of course, before doing anything, don't forget to make a backup in your recovery!
Hi Alexandre-P,
thanks for your reply! I didn't wipe the data cause i usually don't have to do it when flashing a new version of the rom
of the same android version. Unfortunately i didn't do a backup pre flashing, but I will before tinkering around more ^^
But can you confirm that the flashing process in general was correct, or in case it was incorrect, where did i mess up?
 
hellboyxxx
Old
#4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 6
Join Date: Oct 2012
Hey hi. I am a newbie. i am using samsung gs3 and i am on jb 4.3, i want to install custom rom. so pleas help me with how to install custom roms and and what are the this i should be needed
 
chuSmu
Old
#5  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Posts: 74
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellboyxxx View Post
Hey hi. I am a newbie. i am using samsung gs3 and i am on jb 4.3, i want to install custom rom. so pleas help me with how to install custom roms and and what are the this i should be needed
There is a difference in installing a custom rom for the first time and flashing new versions - in this aspect the question doesn't exactly relate.
Since the installing a custom rom for the first time (I assume that's what u want) includes steps that differ from device to device you should
check your device's forum. You should find all the answers there.
Just an advice - no offense intended, really: Try to avoid posting things that don't relate in other threads. Use the search function in the forum/google before asking a question. If you can't find anything post a new thread!

kind regards chuSmu

back to the topic: can anyone confirm the way i flashed when reverting to a previous version?
 
cyril279
Old
#6  
cyril279's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,313
Posts: 628
Join Date: Jun 2013
You wiped /system but not /data? That's where things went wrong. Your fresh and newly installed /system apps are looking at the same funky /data from your previous install.

Generally, if you want to revert, simply dirty-flash the nightly you're looking for. It works.
If you're looking for a clean installation to troubleshoot a problem, TiBu your apps, wipe /system /data /cache & dalvik and start completely clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuSmu View Post
Hi there,

I'm kinda embarassed to ask, cause I think this MUST have been answered already - but seriously, I can't find it >.<
the latest nightlies (3/25) caused my find5 to be unable connect to any Wifi networks (it found the networks, but wasn't able connect..),
so i wanted to check if I messed sth up, or if it was just the nightly and decided to revert to an older version. However in doing so
I think i messed up a lot since some apps were displayed at beeing not installed, the play store didnt display any apps, not even the ones
installed ect... (wifi was working again btw.)
What I did was wiping cache, dalvik, system and flashing the older version downloaded from the omni rom website and wiping dalvik/cache again.
The uninstalled apps (which were still displayed) and the weird play store persisted when i went back to 3/25.

Where did I mess up? .. Sorry to bother.

chuSmu
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuSmu View Post
Hi Alexandre-P,
thanks for your reply! I didn't wipe the data cause i usually don't have to do it when flashing a new version of the rom
of the same android version. Unfortunately i didn't do a backup pre flashing, but I will before tinkering around more ^^
But can you confirm that the flashing process in general was correct, or in case it was incorrect, where did i mess up?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cyril279 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
chuSmu
Old
#7  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Posts: 74
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyril279 View Post
You wiped /system but not /data? That's where things went wrong. Your fresh and newly installed /system apps are looking at the same funky /data from your previous install.

Generally, if you want to revert, simply dirty-flash the nightly you're looking for. It works.
If you're looking for a clean installation to troubleshoot a problem, TiBu your apps, wipe /system /data /cache & dalvik and start completely clean.
Thanks ..that was my mistake >.<.
 
Alexandre-P
Old
#8  
Alexandre-P's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 36
Posts: 104
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Montreal
Hi again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuSmu View Post
I didn't wipe the data cause i usually don't have to do it when flashing a new version of the rom
of the same android version.
You generally don't have to wipe /data if you want to update your ROM version.
But if you want to downgrade your actual ROM's version, or switch to another ROM, I think you should format /data, as it might contain updated or incompatible new apps, frameworks or setting files.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alexandre-P For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
chuSmu
Old
#9  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Posts: 74
Join Date: May 2013
Thanks again. I'll keep that in mind!

Sent from my Find 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Thread Tools
Display Modes