Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,248 Members 39,575 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Restoring SMS/MMS from another phone

Tip us?

ShadowSKAR
Old
(Last edited by ShadowSKAR; 30th March 2014 at 07:57 AM.) Reason: Wrong tags for link
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by FauxAffliction View Post
Download sms backup and restore and I believe there's an option to either email it to yourself or upload it to Google drive then download the same program on your HTC and restore them..after downloading from your email or drive of course

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Are you referring to this one?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...SBackupRestore
Because if you are, I've already tried it. It seems to backup everything but when I try to restore it, not everything gets restored. Then comparing the mmssms.db from the old phone and new phone, there is a significant difference in file size, leading me to believe that MMS aren't getting copied.

zelendel
Old
Moderator Committee - The Dark Knight
Thanks Meter 10946

DONATE TO ME
If I recall correctly MMS are near impossible to back up properly. No app I have seen will do them.

Bat cave One

If hard work pays off then easy work is worthless
SearchFu
Never Ask someone to do something your not willing to at least try to do yourself.
"Gotham is the work of a madman"- NunHugger Current Nexus 5-12 Nightly

cr1960
Old
Thanks Meter 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSKAR View Post
I don't see a backup/restore option in messaging. Can you elaborate a little further?
Hmmm, don't know about the Samsung, but on the HTC there's an option under messages > settings to backup/restore.

HTC M8
ROM: SkyDragon

ShadowSKAR
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1960 View Post
Hmmm, don't know about the Samsung, but on the HTC there's an option under messages > settings to backup/restore.
Ah ok. The old phone doesn't seem to have anything like that.

ShadowSKAR
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelendel View Post
If I recall correctly MMS are near impossible to back up properly. No app I have seen will do them.

Bat cave One
That's why I was wondering if I could manually do it by copying the mmssms.db and app_parts folder from the old phone to the new one.

RUUMan
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 10
What u can do is use the HTC messaging app backup feature and then browse yr phone for the folder called smsbackup. Copy it to somewhere safe. Do whatever u want then put back the folder back to yr phone and use the HTC messaging app use the restore function