Anyone switch from the LG G2 to the HTC One M8?

Search This thread
I really love my LG G2. The M8 is very intriguing. I know that having the latest phone is a futile case because the phones are always changing and evolving. The M8 does offer the same double tap to unlock the screen. I am sure it has better speakers. It also looks as if the battery life on the M8 is better than the M7.

If anyone has switched from the G2, I would like your feedback.

steelersmb

Aug 10, 2010
Yes, I posted this in another thread:

I came from the LG G2 and here are my observations so far:

1. I hated the camera on the G2. It was so slow and hard to get good pictures, especially of moving objects. Although the camera resolution on the M8 is a lot smaller, it's so much better and fine for my needs. If I want to print out pictures, I am going to use my DSLR anyhow.
2. I hate that the M8 only has one color for notifications and I can't use Lightflow to control them. That was something I did like on the G2.
3. The screen is a bit smaller on the M8.
4. Battery life so far has been okay. Haven't had it long enough to test thought. Batter life on the G2 was the best of any phone so far.
5. Build construction is by far the best of any phone on the M8 but everyone already knows that.
6. The addition of the SD card is awesome. I was already low on space on the G2 because of music and audio books. This will eliminate that with my 64GB SD card.
7. The speakers are awesome on the M8 but how many people listen to music through the built-in speakers.

Overall, I am liking the phone. Do I think it's a huge improvement over the G2...probably not and there are some things I like better on the G2. Maybe once we have full root on the M8 it will be better but for me, it's not a huge upgrade. I will probably keep it though and sell my G2.

I am sure there are other things that I will find that I like or dislike in the comparison but I probably will keep it. Just got it yesterday so I will play with it some more.

polaric

Oct 23, 2013
Mechanicsburg
play.google.com
I did. I love everything about the M8, its lightning fast while the G2 felt slow sometimes. Also the phone itself is built way better. Only disadvantage I see is it has a smaller battery, but I really haven't noticed the difference.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

starflyr

May 11, 2011
nj
I don't understand how u guys describe the g2 as having a "slow camera" and "the g2 is slow sometimes"

the g2 camera is quite fast.. unless your settings weren't conducive for speed...and in general the g2s is is smooth and responsive, slow sometimes? not for me... ever!

I think.. bottom line.. people aren't satisfied unless they have the latest.... probably because we are trying to full that gaping home in our souls...;)

Sent from my VS980 4G using xda app-developers app

D

Deleted member 5019868

Another former G2'er here. The headphone audio quality was the deciding factor for me to keep the M8. It's the best of any android phone I've used.

So far, battery, while definitely worse, isn't a drastic downgrade by any means.

Also the lightning speed of the M8's camera is a nice change.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Abe21599

Apr 13, 2009
I did. steelersmb shares a lot of opinions as i do. i did like the G2 had the unlocked bootloader so AOSP android was a quick install and the M8 is stuck with Sense UI for now. I like the build of the M8 better but they are very similar phones. Gotta see what really matters to you and read the reviews on how they compare

joeliotta

Oct 29, 2010
I liked the G2 alot but I really always loved the gallery on this phone. The quick pictures and simplicity of the camera is bar none the best software. The G2 was a little buggy as well. Many times texts would scroll to the top for no reason and if an app like hangouts was open when I locked the screen the notification would disappear, which always drove me nuts. The only thing I hate with this phone is the lack of screen real estate with the stupid HTC bar on the bottom. I already rooted and shrunk the Nav bar so it doesn't drive me as crazy. If only I could have a blinkfeed page (not shortcut) with Nova Launcher or the ability to have a Scrollable dock and swipe gestures on HTC launcher I would be set for life. I also miss the wireless charging but I just ordered this aftermarket Wireless charger, we will see how that works. It was worth the change though. Every time I switch to HTC I always feel like I have a true premium phone. There's nothing like the premium build of this phone. And I have had every premium phone (with the exception of Moto X, if you'll call it that) as soon as they come out.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using xda app-developers app

daboyal006

Jan 28, 2013
I had the g2 for almost two weeks before I returned it for the m8. The g2 was decent but the UI just reminded me so much of touch wiz I couldn't get with it, m8 has lightly flat sense UI and micro sd slot and the speaker on the g2 was so low compared to boom sound and build quality.. the camera quality was the best part of the g2

steelersmb

Aug 10, 2010
I had the g2 for almost two weeks before I returned it for the m8. The g2 was decent but the UI just reminded me so much of touch wiz I couldn't get with it, m8 has lightly flat sense UI and micro sd slot and the speaker on the g2 was so low compared to boom sound and build quality.. the camera quality was the best part of the g2

One more positive on the G2 over the M8 was the ability for wireless charging. I used this all the time on my G2 and now I can't with the M8. I saw a post about something you can get to stick on the back of the phone but not the same.

blestsol

Jul 24, 2010
Baltimore
I don't understand how u guys describe the g2 as having a "slow camera" and "the g2 is slow sometimes"

the g2 camera is quite fast.. unless your settings weren't conducive for speed...and in general the g2s is is smooth and responsive, slow sometimes? not for me... ever!

I think.. bottom line.. people aren't satisfied unless they have the latest.... probably because we are trying to full that gaping home in our souls...;)

Sent from my VS980 4G using xda app-developers app

Or your fast... Isn't everyone else's fast.
But I tried the G2 after my Sgs3... Felt like another galaxy phone. I was leaving Samsung because I wanted something fresh.
Sent from my HTCM8

XTRoRDiNAiRE

Aug 18, 2007
Harlingen
I switched from the g2 and overall to me there is no comparison I love how smooth the m8 is.. only thing I like about the g2 was the fact that it had full root and I had aosp on it other than that the m8 is way better

D

Deleted member 5019868

I switched from the g2 and overall to me there is no comparison I love how smooth the m8 is.. only thing I like about the g2 was the fact that it had full root and I had aosp on it other than that the m8 is way better

Sixth Sense might be the first manufacturer skin I leave on. I mean, hopefully a custom rom will remove all of the VZW bloat and the infuriating ongoing wifi notification. But Sense Seis is pretty harmless compared to... Optimus UI :eek:

Also, tried slow motion video for the first time last night. It's too cool.

barenjager

Nov 21, 2013
Loved just about everything about the G2 outside of the build quality; I began to have random hardware glitches until a couple of drops destroyed the whole screen. Never needed a quick shutter for the kinds of pictures I took, so I'm going to miss the great camera on the G2. Battery life will be shorter on the M8 but it still has plenty of juice; farthest I've gone is about 30 hours of light usage. I also loved the G2's screen being just about the only thing on the entire face of the phone, but in hindsight I would have sacrificed a little more bezel to protect the screen more.

If you're already loving the G2 and aren't having problems with it, there isn't much reason to switch to the M8, especially before being able to fully compare it to the S5/G3/Z2.

Reactions: Life Engineer

sincerity

Dec 22, 2010
I liked the gallery, wireless charging and battery about the G2...

UI speed, design and camera about the M8. shame if M8 had included bigger battery and wireless charging I would be 100% sold. now tetering on fence about returning..

krazie1

Jun 5, 2010
I came from a Moto X & LG G2 & don't get me wrong but I prefer the G2 more for its bigger battery, bigger led notification & bigger screen. The HTC One M8 is one of my newest HTC phones since the Rezound and HTC came along way but that extra tallness just makes it feel like a candy bar phone. I am most likely going to return the HTC One & get my Moto X back (wife has the G2) or get another G2 who knows.

Reactions: garywojdan81

sincerity

Dec 22, 2010
yea forgot to mention the height....its outrageously tall for the screensize. literally sticks out the top of the pocket on my apcs

steelersmb

Aug 10, 2010
I liked the gallery, wireless charging and battery about the G2...

UI speed, design and camera about the M8. shame if M8 had included bigger battery and wireless charging I would be 100% sold. now tetering on fence about returning..

I'm in the same boat but I usually end up switching phones every year any how. I keep them in good shape and sell them on eBay and usually get about half of what I pay for them. I am on the fence right now as well. It's a tough decision. I don't know why these companies aren't listening to what people want. I guess they take baby steps each year to make more money instead of implementing the best from other phones. I mean how hard would it have been to make some of these changes.

D

desireaftergod

I switched from the G2

I switched from the G2. ...M8 is nice...It is taking some getting use to with the bigger size, though:laugh:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Loved just about everything about the G2 outside of the build quality; I began to have random hardware glitches until a couple of drops destroyed the whole screen. Never needed a quick shutter for the kinds of pictures I took, so I'm going to miss the great camera on the G2. Battery life will be shorter on the M8 but it still has plenty of juice; farthest I've gone is about 30 hours of light usage. I also loved the G2's screen being just about the only thing on the entire face of the phone, but in hindsight I would have sacrificed a little more bezel to protect the screen more.

If you're already loving the G2 and aren't having problems with it, there isn't much reason to switch to the M8, especially before being able to fully compare it to the S5/G3/Z2.
    I came from a Moto X & LG G2 & don't get me wrong but I prefer the G2 more for its bigger battery, bigger led notification & bigger screen. The HTC One M8 is one of my newest HTC phones since the Rezound and HTC came along way but that extra tallness just makes it feel like a candy bar phone. I am most likely going to return the HTC One & get my Moto X back (wife has the G2) or get another G2 who knows.