5,598,171 Members 43,817 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

4.4 and Non-VZW carriers

Tip us?

s_u_n
Old
(Last edited by s_u_n; 22nd March 2014 at 09:14 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Default Droid Maxx is carrier locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak900 View Post
I got my Droid Ultra from eBay 4 weeks ago. The phone was used and then blacklisted by VZW i.e. it was blocked by all US Network operators. I am cut my micro sim to nano sim. O2 Germany uses: GSM 1800 MHz & UMTS 2100. No CDMA!

A friend of mines got a Lumia 929 from VZW and using it in Germany on GSM 900 MHz and UMTS 2100 MHz. As far i know, the Lumia was never activated by VZW. In am german Forum i read, a lot of people using droid mini without any problems on all supported Bands in germany.

Which bands is your Network operator using? On Motorola & VZW you can see the data sheet of supported GSM and UMTS Bands.

Gesendet von meinem XT1080 mit Tapatalk
I just had a long chat with global services from Verizon. The support guy said that Droid Maxx is locked to Verizon sim. I do know though that this is not true since people around me have been using the same phone all over the world without any Verizon plan.

If there is someone who got a never activated phone working with non-VZ SIM, please reply.

Edit: Made another phone call to VZ support. This time the guy was better informed.
He said he can unlock the SIM, but the device has to be activated first on VZ network. At the moment, he cannot see the device with the IMEI and the SIM number.
For that I have to buy a plan and then cancel it if need be.

I was ready to buy a plan, but there was doubt if this would work, since there is no VZ network here in India. There is some signal going up and down, but I don't know if that is a VZ partner or someone else.
So, the phone has to be in US to get it activated.
Not sure if it would work with the phone being in India.

Will unlocking the bootloader help me install something to unlock this?

rmjones2006
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_u_n View Post
I just had a long chat with global services from Verizon. The support guy said that Droid Maxx is locked to Verizon sim. I do know though that this is not true since people around me have been using the same phone all over the world without any Verizon plan.

If there is someone who got a never activated phone working with non-VZ SIM, please reply.

Edit: Made another phone call to VZ support. This time the guy was better informed.
He said he can unlock the SIM, but the device has to be activated first on VZ network. At the moment, he cannot see the device with the IMEI and the SIM number.
For that I have to buy a plan and then cancel it if need be.

I was ready to buy a plan, but there was doubt if this would work, since there is no VZ network here in India. There is some signal going up and down, but I don't know if that is a VZ partner or someone else.
So, the phone has to be in US to get it activated.
Not sure if it would work with the phone being in India.

Will unlocking the bootloader help me install something to unlock this?
I would say no. The reason is because the bootloader unlock would not unlock anything with the Sim card.

Sent from my XT1080M "Developer Edition"
The Following User Says Thank You to rmjones2006 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

s_u_n
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmjones2006 View Post
I would say no. The reason is because the bootloader unlock would not unlock anything with the Sim card.

Sent from my XT1080M "Developer Edition"
Thanks for informing that.
I was hoping that after unlocking the bootloader, if I could flash some custom ROM, perhaps that would get rid of the lock somehow.
After all, there is something - a flag or a bit in the phone which is locking the GSM radio.

kmisterk
Old
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanexvi View Post
It doesn't. Tried a while ago. Best fix honestly if you want Kk is to install cm11 but you lose active display and whatnot

Sent from my DROID MAXX using Tapatalk
Foes lte/calling/texting work right in cm11?
--Current--
Verizon Moto X on T-Mobile (stock)

--Past--
---Droid DNA---Galaxy Nexus---HTC Rezound---Droid Bionic---HTC G2/Vision---HTC Evo 4g---CDMA Hero---Droid Eris---

Follow My Twitter and I'll Google Yours

Code:
sudo make me a sandwich

arcanexvi
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmisterk View Post
Foes lte/calling/texting work right in cm11?
Yes but you lose active display (There's an app you can use which replicates it) and touchless controls.

kmisterk
Old
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanexvi View Post
Yes but you lose active display (There's an app you can use which replicates it) and touchless controls.
I honestly couldn't care less about either of those. Thanks
--Current--
Verizon Moto X on T-Mobile (stock)

--Past--
---Droid DNA---Galaxy Nexus---HTC Rezound---Droid Bionic---HTC G2/Vision---HTC Evo 4g---CDMA Hero---Droid Eris---

Follow My Twitter and I'll Google Yours

Code:
sudo make me a sandwich