Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,489 Members 45,814 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How to Change the Font Size in a Dell Streak 5?

Tip us?

Jaynelle
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] How to Change the Font Size in a Dell Streak 5?

Dell Streak 5 Android 2.2 - originally for O2 (UK), now in use with T-Mobile (USA)
Dell Streak 7 Android 2.2.2 - for T-Mobile (USA)

When I first set up both of the above devices, I remember very clearly that there was a Font menu with 5 (Extra Small, Small, Normal (default), Large, Huge) font sizes to select from, but do not remember the heading under which it was. I unfortunately left it at the default setting in both devices, thinking that I could get back to that same Font menu later to change it if I needed to, but I have never been able to find it again. The Font menu was identical in both versions (2.2 and 2.2.2).

Per Dell™ Streak Quick Reference Guide: "To change the font size, touch Settings, Display settings, Font settings, and then choose Small, Normal, or Large." In a YouTube video, the option from the Dell™ Streak Quick Reference Guide is shown, along with displaying that in some Android versions the Font Settings menu is under the Accessibility heading instead of the Display heading. I tried both headings but there is no Font Settings menu under either one. I tested it in both of my devices.

I have wondered whether the screen with the Font Settings menu appears only when the device is first set up and never again. If that is the case, it seems that the only way to access it would be to reset the device to factory settings, and reinstall everything again, which I am not willing to do.

Does anyone know how to access the Font Settings menu, besides the two options I already mentioned that did not function in my devices?

Since I am not tech savvy, suggestions for flashing to install a newer Android version or to modify the screen density, installing applications that increase the font size, etc. would not be helpful to me.

Strephon Alkhalikoi
Old
(Last edited by Strephon Alkhalikoi; 30th March 2014 at 07:41 AM.)
Thanks Meter 412
Previously asked and answered at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1163905 . The Streak doesn't have a font size option in Android 2.x, meaning you have to edit system files or use LCD density apps to change the font size. It may have been in 1.6 but removed.
Noob FAQ
Q: Can someone suggest a link I can follow that will walk me through the root process for this phone?
A: Simple answer is no. Do your homework. No spoonfeeding here. Check the stickies and the search engine. You'll find it soon enough.

My Stuff: Stargate Boot Animation | ICS-style Theme for DSC | MultiFlasher | Traveller DSC ROM | PseudoCream

Jaynelle
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Dell Streak 5 and Dell Streak 7 DO Have Font Size Options

The statement "The Streak doesn't have a font size option in Android 2.x," is incorrect.

As I explained in detail in my first post, the font size options menu appeared in both my Dell Streak 5 and my Dell Streak 7 the first time I set them up. As I also explained in my first post, the font size options menu may only be accessible at the initial set up of a device, and not afterward. If this is the case, resetting the device to factory specifications to have the font size options menu appear again to make the desired selection may be a solution.

Please refrain from responding to this and any of my future posts.

Strephon Alkhalikoi
Old
(Last edited by Strephon Alkhalikoi; 31st March 2014 at 08:28 PM.) Reason: Callout
Thanks Meter 412
@Jaynelle: I read your post completely but let me clarify. The Streak 5 doesn't have the font size option and never did, as described in the linked post. In fact, I am probably one of the few people remaining on this forum who actually got theirs firsthand from Dell. When I received mine direct from Dell, no font size option EVER appeared in setup. On top of that, with the exception of bundled apps there is no difference between the firmware on your device and mine at the time I received it.

I do not know about the Streak 7 as I don't have one. However, getting snippy at me because the facts presented contradict what you think you know just makes me shake my head. Telling me not to respond your post is a joke, as you're no moderator. But I'll humor you and bother you no more, since you clearly know more about this device than I do.

Good luck.
Noob FAQ
Q: Can someone suggest a link I can follow that will walk me through the root process for this phone?
A: Simple answer is no. Do your homework. No spoonfeeding here. Check the stickies and the search engine. You'll find it soon enough.

My Stuff: Stargate Boot Animation | ICS-style Theme for DSC | MultiFlasher | Traveller DSC ROM | PseudoCream

Aaryana
Old
Thanks Meter 19
i can also make it sure that streak never had font size option
Sent from my Micromax A110Q using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to Aaryana For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Strephon Alkhalikoi
Old
Thanks Meter 412
@Aaryana: Don't worry. You'll be told not to reply to any posts by Jaynelle soon enough. After all, your confirmation of what I've described at 6am this morning is not the answer the OP wants to hear.
Noob FAQ