Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,968 Members 42,497 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] My buddies work gave him a 4.2.2 (btloader/recov/root/Fulldskencryption question)

Tip us?
 
faylix
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 64
Posts: 210
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Boston
Default [Q] My buddies work gave him a 4.2.2 (btloader/recov/root/Fulldskencryption question)

Hey guys,

My buddys work gave him an AT&T Galaxy S4. Currently its:

Stock
Samsung-SGH-I337
4.2.2

I come from the HTC world and have been doing some reading but I figured I would ask straight out -

I would like to root, install the TWRP recovery (see why in a second), install CM or some other stable rom (suggestions?) and setup the Full Disk Encryption.

TWRP is the only recovery right now that Supports FDE - so thats kind of a necessary.

Can someone school me?

Can I unlock the samsung bootloader?
Do I need to use this LOKI tool? Is there a TWRP compliant LOKI?
Is Cyanogenmod a good choice for a rom? I haven't seen a stable 11 version listed in the rom section?

I know safestrap has some trouble with FDE

Has anyone tried their AT&T S4 with FDE after rooting / installing rom?

Can you point me to the root files I will need?

Thank you.

- Faylix
 
DeadlySin9
Old
#2  
DeadlySin9's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 620
Posts: 1,241
Join Date: Sep 2012

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by faylix View Post
Hey guys,

My buddys work gave him an AT&T Galaxy S4. Currently its:

Stock
Samsung-SGH-I337
4.2.2

I come from the HTC world and have been doing some reading but I figured I would ask straight out -

I would like to root, install the TWRP recovery (see why in a second), install CM or some other stable rom (suggestions?) and setup the Full Disk Encryption.

TWRP is the only recovery right now that Supports FDE - so thats kind of a necessary.

Can someone school me?

Can I unlock the samsung bootloader?
Do I need to use this LOKI tool? Is there a TWRP compliant LOKI?
Is Cyanogenmod a good choice for a rom? I haven't seen a stable 11 version listed in the rom section?

I know safestrap has some trouble with FDE

Has anyone tried their AT&T S4 with FDE after rooting / installing rom?

Can you point me to the root files I will need?

Thank you.

- Faylix
We need to know the firmware version he is on. Ask for the baseband it shows if he goes into Settings>About Device.
If he is on MDB or MDL, he should use the CASUAL rooting tool in the development section.
If he is on MF3, then he can not use this. Safestrap is not compatible with FDE and therefore he will not get any ROMs. I believe someone tried turning on FDE after installing a ROM and it didn't work. I suppose it might if it's on the stock slot but then Safestrap would certainly stop working.
Current Device: ATT Samsung Galaxy S4 (i337)

Past Devices:
Droid Bionic (GSM Hacked)
HTC Inspire 4G (Desire HD)
Nexus One
Motorola Backflip
HTC Dev Phone 1 (Dream/G1)
The Following User Says Thank You to DeadlySin9 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
faylix
Old
#3  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 64
Posts: 210
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlySin9 View Post
We need to know the firmware version he is on. Ask for the baseband it shows if he goes into Settings>About Device.
If he is on MDB or MDL, he should use the CASUAL rooting tool in the development section.
If he is on MF3, then he can not use this. Safestrap is not compatible with FDE and therefore he will not get any ROMs. I believe someone tried turning on FDE after installing a ROM and it didn't work. I suppose it might if it's on the stock slot but then Safestrap would certainly stop working.

I337UCUAMF3 ....

sigh. Is there nothing that can be done?

is it not possible to root using motochopper?

Then install TWRP using ODIN3 with the instructions : http://www.theandroidsoul.com/latest...-4-compatible/


then install Cyanogenmod 11 the snapshot for att galaxy S4?

thank you guys

- faylix
 
DeadlySin9
Old
#4  
DeadlySin9's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 620
Posts: 1,241
Join Date: Sep 2012

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by faylix View Post
I337UCUAMF3 ....

sigh. Is there nothing that can be done?

is it not possible to root using motochopper?

Then install TWRP using ODIN3 with the instructions : http://www.theandroidsoul.com/latest...-4-compatible/


then install Cyanogenmod 11 the snapshot for att galaxy S4?

thank you guys

- faylix
CASUAL uses the motochopper exploit, which was patched in MF3. You can't use TWRP because the loki exploit was patched also. And you definitely can not run Cyanogenmod or any AOSP based ROM on our device until a new exploit is found.
Current Device: ATT Samsung Galaxy S4 (i337)

Past Devices:
Droid Bionic (GSM Hacked)
HTC Inspire 4G (Desire HD)
Nexus One
Motorola Backflip
HTC Dev Phone 1 (Dream/G1)
The Following User Says Thank You to DeadlySin9 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
kevp75
Old
#5  
kevp75's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 748
Posts: 1,664
Join Date: Aug 2012

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlySin9 View Post
CASUAL uses the motochopper exploit, which was patched in MF3. You can't use TWRP because the loki exploit was patched also. And you definitely can not run Cyanogenmod or any AOSP based ROM on our device until a new exploit is found.
try saferoot or Kingo

Sent from my Deadly Venom SS 3.0 S4 ~ 20GB free cloud https://copy.com?r=vtiraF
Rockin' it from my o7th S5 Edition v1.3 Galaxy S4 I337 Rom

~ 20GB free cloud https://copy.com?r=vtiraF
Check me out online @ http://kevin.pirnie.us
The Following User Says Thank You to kevp75 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
faylix
Old
#6  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 64
Posts: 210
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlySin9 View Post
CASUAL uses the motochopper exploit, which was patched in MF3. You can't use TWRP because the loki exploit was patched also. And you definitely can not run Cyanogenmod or any AOSP based ROM on our device until a new exploit is found.
even though its 4.2.2 ?

Crap crap crap...

kevp75:

Can saferoot or kingo give me the safe ability to run a rom with Full Disk encryption or do they depend on safestrap?

thank you guys ....


- faylix
 
kevp75
Old
(Last edited by kevp75; 31st March 2014 at 08:40 PM.)
#7  
kevp75's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 748
Posts: 1,664
Join Date: Aug 2012

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by faylix View Post
even though its 4.2.2 ?

Crap crap crap...

kevp75:

Can saferoot or kingo give me the safe ability to run a rom with Full Disk encryption or do they depend on safestrap?

thank you guys ....


- faylix
not sure about that. I do know mk2 can be rooted... and the only recovery right now that works is SafeStrap.

I only dont know because I havent done it... and am a little afraid to try... lol

just got my s4 to where i want it after much fiddlin big thanks to @ted77usa and @Venom0642 and @rebel1699

Sent from my Deadly Venom SS 3.0 S4 ~ 20GB free cloud https://copy.com?r=vtiraF
Rockin' it from my o7th S5 Edition v1.3 Galaxy S4 I337 Rom

~ 20GB free cloud https://copy.com?r=vtiraF
Check me out online @ http://kevin.pirnie.us
 
DeadlySin9
Old
#8  
DeadlySin9's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 620
Posts: 1,241
Join Date: Sep 2012

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by faylix View Post
even though its 4.2.2 ?

Crap crap crap...

kevp75:

Can saferoot or kingo give me the safe ability to run a rom with Full Disk encryption or do they depend on safestrap?

thank you guys ....


- faylix
Yes, MF3 patched it even though it is 4.2.2. Saferoot and Kingo are only root methods, and Safestrap is still the only recovery you can use even after those so no FDE still.
Current Device: ATT Samsung Galaxy S4 (i337)

Past Devices:
Droid Bionic (GSM Hacked)
HTC Inspire 4G (Desire HD)
Nexus One
Motorola Backflip
HTC Dev Phone 1 (Dream/G1)

The Following User Says Thank You to DeadlySin9 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
bootloader, encryption, gs4, recovery, root
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes